JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I drive for a living in a company vehicle around town.
Everyday I am out and about, driving in areas I don't know, including some of the worst areas in the Portland area.
They have it in their policy, that you may not be armed in any fashion, or face termination, and be arrested for "Criminal Trespass". This extends to anything, especially firearms, mace, tasers, knives (unless particular to a work purpose, such as a leatherman), batons, pretty much anything you could possibly use to defend yourself.
I have had issues where people have approached me and have gotten violent with me to a point where I had the legal right to defend myself. I have had one of them draw a gun on me, I was able to talk my way out of it, but it made me **** bricks.
I brought this up to the company and their response has just been....RUN....and call your supervisor, at least you weren't seriously injured. No you can't press charges, it will look bad for our PR, we'll take cared of it (which they never do.)

Is there anything I can do, or that we can do to move through legislation that will allow employees that are legally allowed to carry a method of defense at work, especially at a job where you are prone to going into unsafe situations and areas.

Also, I rarely come on company property, most of the time I'm in a company vehicle which is technically company property, but I'm out in public.

Right now the employer has the right to make the rules. Most of the larger companies have similar rules. Of course you certainly have the right to sue them if they don't protect you and you become injured.

I do expect these types of lawsuits to pick up speed and become a factor for companies in the future. Right now most of their insurance carriers will not allow them to let employees be armed on the job. Maybe that will change some day if the insurance carrier have to lay out big money for companies not protecting their employees from harm in bad neighborhoods.

I always advise everyone to obey the law and the rules of their respective employers. But I know many people that out of fear for the lives carry each and every day in their briefcases, autos and on their persons to protect themselves. I guess if they get caught they will lose their jobs but they figure staying alive is worth it.

I have never been in that position where I felt it necessary to pack a gun in violation of my employers rules. But then I never had to travel into bad areas of town or work late at night.

That's another thing, too. My employer requires employees to do a couple weeks of on-call every year, making it where you have to travel out 24-hours a day to who knows where to fix the problems. It's one thing at 2 in the afternoon, it's quite another at 2 in the morning. Also they have us carry cash, I for one have told them, and told those I collect payments from that I will not carry cash for my own sake and try to tell as many people do not pay in cash, driver's do not carry cash.

FYI, I would rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6. Did you sign anything that would state you would be charged with criminal tresspassing if you violated their policy by bringing in a weapon?

Also...do some reading on your state tresspassing laws. I don't know about Oregon, but I know Washington state specifically deals with a "premise" and not "property". That key word alone will dictate whether or not you can ever be charged with anything while driving around in their vehicle(s). Maybe throwing a gun/taser in a bag with you and tossing it in the truck might be advantagious.

All that matters is getting home at the end of the day, bro. You can always get another job if it comes down to defending yourself.

We had the same problem when building the border fence. Guns were strictly against company policy but guys kept rifles behind their seats and some even wore bullet proof vests. We were told that it was the border patrol's job to keep us safe, but the majority of the time they were not even in sight.

Maybe you could get a vest, that might help alleviate some concern and certainly wouldnt be any violation of policies.

I too had such a job, where the danger was frequent but the company forbade weapons of any kind. I finally decided that I would get another job......................if they ever caught me and fired me! Does the company search you? If they don't ask, don't tell!

BUT, there ARE useful defensive items that you might carry. Can you carry tools? A big wrench, a long narrow screwdriver, a hammer, and a sharp prybar are all quite comforting. My favorite tool was a "spud wrench" that ironworkers use---a heavy large wrench that ends in a tapering rat tail used to line up I-beam bolt holes---a basher/poker that somewone else cannot grab away from you. Get one of the same size as your lug nuts, which give you constant worry, right?

What about cleaning supplies? A spray can of powerful commercial window cleaner (with LOTS of ammonia) might be explainable to the bosses. Might you need to carry a solid brass commercial squeegie with a metal handle? Spray oven cleaner of certain varieties can be very caustic too---get one that requires use of rubber gloves!

Bug spray? There are powerful, long distance spray cans of wasp/hornet killer that are equally poisonous and irritating to humans and dogs. These are REALLY nasty, but you are allergic to insect stings, right? Speaking of dogs, can you at least carry dog-repellant spray? Those loose pit bulls are everywhere nowadays! Maybe your bosses don't know that dog spray and people spray are nearly the same thing. It is all in how you frame your request to the bosses.

You may have seen "defensive pens" in catalogs? These area just sturdy metal ink pens with high texture for gripability, clipped to your pocket they are hidden in plain sight. Surely they don't inspect your ink pens?

One last thing: there are no regulations as to how you carry your pocket change. You might like to carry ten bucks worth of quarters for pinball, in a sturdy tubular leather bag tied tight at the top with the excess laces wrapped and tied back down the bag almost like a handle, and kept in your back pocket. Good luck!..........................elsullo

I like the creative ideas. One thing I do carry on me is my Kershaw Multi-tool, which has a blade that comes out like an assisted lock-back, vs the normal leatherman internal blade style. Definitely thinking of picking up a sharkie-pen though. Wish they would just shut up and let me carry my glock.

Also 5 pound sledge FTW!

Sadly they can mandate no weapons on their property(including vehicles). I do not think they can legally tell you not to press charges if a crime has been commited though. I would check with an attorney to be sure, but I would think that if you were assaulted and your employer retaliated against you for pressing charges that you would have a nice fat civil suit to set them straight.

The Leatherman "Wave" has a large outside blade shaped like a Spyderco, with an eye that provides a thumb flip for quick one-handed opening (right handed.) It comes with a nice belt holster, or you could just stand there like a casual guy, with your hand in your pocket, wrapped around the tool.

Do you use a handsaw? The best quality "taper-ground" saw blades have a very narrow top edge which can be used for chopping. Antique handsaws are the very best for this. Plus, just sawing somebody lightly will produce a VERY bloody wound, and an assailant is not too likely to try to grab your saw; if he tries, just pull it away from him! If you can find a sturdy "keyhole" saw you can even stab with it!

Chisels? Enough said. Putty-knives, scrapers, and prybars---who is to say that it is too thin and sharp?

And the glorious machete---don't you need to clear brush sometimes? Worn on the belt it can repel boarders from a great distance.

OK, I confess. I used to be a carpenter and even worked as a surveyor's helper. Then I drove bus for seventeen years. So I have had deep contemplation on improvised weaponry, and survived to tell. Still, getting a better job is the best revenge...........................elsullo

Honestly at my Work there is a guy that literally creeps me out, and a few others there share my feelings. If there was to "ever Be" a work place shooting I would vote him. So I so Bring my Handgun with me to work and leave it in my car, there are plenty of exits if I needed to get out there quick and safe. if the need be unless I just happen to be the "unlucky" one. But thats as close as i get to carrying at work

I too had such a job, where the danger was frequent but the company forbade weapons of any kind. I finally decided that I would get another job......................if they ever caught me and fired me! Does the company search you? If they don't ask, don't tell!

BUT, there ARE useful defensive items that you might carry. Can you carry tools? A big wrench, a long narrow screwdriver, a hammer, and a sharp prybar are all quite comforting. My favorite tool was a "spud wrench" that ironworkers use---a heavy large wrench that ends in a tapering rat tail used to line up I-beam bolt holes---a basher/poker that somewone else cannot grab away from you. Get one of the same size as your lug nuts, which give you constant worry, right?

What about cleaning supplies? A spray can of powerful commercial window cleaner (with LOTS of ammonia) might be explainable to the bosses. Might you need to carry a solid brass commercial squeegie with a metal handle? Spray oven cleaner of certain varieties can be very caustic too---get one that requires use of rubber gloves!

Bug spray? There are powerful, long distance spray cans of wasp/hornet killer that are equally poisonous and irritating to humans and dogs. These are REALLY nasty, but you are allergic to insect stings, right? Speaking of dogs, can you at least carry dog-repellant spray? Those loose pit bulls are everywhere nowadays! Maybe your bosses don't know that dog spray and people spray are nearly the same thing. It is all in how you frame your request to the bosses.

You may have seen "defensive pens" in catalogs? These area just sturdy metal ink pens with high texture for gripability, clipped to your pocket they are hidden in plain sight. Surely they don't inspect your ink pens?

One last thing: there are no regulations as to how you carry your pocket change. You might like to carry ten bucks worth of quarters for pinball, in a sturdy tubular leather bag tied tight at the top with the excess laces wrapped and tied back down the bag almost like a handle, and kept in your back pocket. Good luck!..........................elsullo

Great post. It really brings to mind the concept that once you have made the decision not to be a victim that any tool can get the job done. A gun is simply the most effective tool but far from the only tool available.

I like the wasp spray in particular.

I choose to carry in spite of my employers written no weapon policy. It is a choice I made and I will face the concequences if it comes to that.

I figure as long as I do my part and keep it concealed then there is no problem unless I need it. If I need it then I have a clear case that the written policy was in error.

Would you like to eat ur food through a straw for the rest of ur life? S**t can happen anytime so anything you can do to give yourself a fighting chance I say you go for it. Be responsibile....know what condition ur weapon is in, keep it secure and have quick acess to it. I will die when I want to die if I can help it. You are not gonna try and slotter me...... I as a human being have the right to defend myself and when an employee tells me I can't, well I can either find another job that more than likely has simmular rules or I can mind my own business and accept any punishment that might come my way...... but I am packing and that is the bottom line.

True, I'm actually have interviews in April for a new job that definitely allows carry and pays more. Until then I think I'm sticking weapons that have other uses as tools that they can't argue with.

I think it all boils down to taking care of #1, and if s**t hits the fan at your workplace and you were somehow able to defuse the situation, some may just look at you as the hero... (any one else would have done the same,boss)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top