JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

Trying to work out the logistics of full-time carry with a job like mine.

Do any of you folks who have regular office jobs carry while at work? If so, does your boss and/or coworkers know about it? Would you carry if your company had a no-firearms-at-the-office policy?

If you have to go to other business during the day, do you carry and just not think about it? What if you had to go in somewhere where you couldn't carry, like a courthouse or school to pick up your young kids, would you just leave your gun in the car or what?

Thanks for providing some info to a newbie.

Regards,

-r

My employer has a no weapons at the office policy. That is the only reason I do not carry at work. I follow this rule because, IMO, it is dishonest not to. I carry all other places and times where I am legally allowed.

Nobody outside of a select number of close friends and my family know I carry. Even some close friends have no idea. There is no reason of letting that cat out of the bag. Also, once out, it is impossible to get back in. I would never tell anyone without a VERY good reason.

What if you had to go in somewhere where you couldn't carry, like a courthouse or school to pick up your young kids, would you just leave your gun in the car or what?

Regarding picking kids up from school, why should anyone know if your CC'ing to pick your kids up?

No one should know or needs to know for that matter. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then leave it in the car.

Your kid's teacher might be CC'ing in her purse/dress, but they aren't going to tell their employer, co-workers, or you/me.

I don't believe anyone needs to know you are carrying.

I do believe that if your place of work or any other private property has a restriction then you are not supposed to carry. I believe we should respect those laws as to promote the responsability of gun owners.

As for picking up your kids from school I can not think of a better time to carry. The safety of your children is your responsability.

If and when you find you cannot carry it would be best to have a secure place in your vehicle to put the gun. Preferably something more scure than the glovebox.

My 2c

I have 2 hand guns. A CZ Rami 2075 .40 and a S&W 4053. The CZ would Be considered a subcompact and the Smithy a compact. now If Im gonna carry somewhere where im "not supposed to carry" I would never carry those, beings there is a chance they could be seen... Im looking in to getting a little pocket gun suck as a Kel tec. Cause the last thing you want is a gun to be seen on you while picking up your kids at school.

Only place I don't carry is at work and government buildings. I resort to a boot knife instead because my employers have that stupid no guns at work policy. I'd carry at work if I knew they wouldn't fire me for it. It's a chance I have to take in order to stay employed which in this job market is a damn good thing. FWIW only one person knows I carry the knife because I fear if that got out my employers would restrict that as well and I might then just say screw it and carry anyways.

X2 for have a pistol safe bolted to your floor boards in your car. I have one!

Oh and one more thing. There is no Oregon law that I'm aware of that prevents CHL holders from carrying in public schools. I do it all the time even packing a full size 1911 picking up my kids from school. I'm sure somebodies noticed but it has never ever been a problem.

Thanks for the great responses. I would think CCing would make me feel safer in today's society. When I think of it though if feels more like there would always be an underlying level of stress that someone might spot my piece and I'd get "caught" doing something perfectly legal by my coworkers and business customers whom would consist of high-level business executives that probably wouldn't understand a person's need/right to carry.

I guess its that underlying added stress that has prevented me from getting a license in the first place. Do any of you struggle with that? Is it something you just cope with or does it go away?

...or am I just paranoid. Is your gun so well concealed that you really don't have any concern that you'll be found out?

Thanks again!

-r

I would carry at work... but I am waiting to see how a certain court case ends first.... :-(

Otherwise, it is in my car. As soon as I enter the car it never leaves my pants until I take a shower at night. When I put my pants back on in the morning it is with me until I reach the parking lot @ work.

I feel very fortunate. Not only do I carry at work (I take it off and put it in my desk drawer when working just for comfort sake), my boss is an NRA Instructor and we talk firearms and shooting fairly regularly. Everybody else at work knows I am a shooter and they don't seem to have any problem with it.

Court case = ?

I work inside the public school system. Technically under ORS you can carry legally inside of schools as an individual. However, all districts put in their employee policy a "no weapons" statement. So I "agreed" to that when I started working there. There was the case of the teacher in Medford carrying a handgun with her to work -- under ORS it is legal, but under her district policy she could not do that and keep her job. The courts sided with the district, but I believe an appeal has been filed (either by the teacher or the OFF (OFF told me about the appeal when I emailed them)).

So that is court case I am waiting on. It isn't private property -- it is 100% LEGAL to carry on district property... and technically, the district shouldn't be able to preempt ORS on my right to carry.

The district agreement says "except without prior permission from the superintendent" --- yeah, something tells me that if I ask permission to carry I will get red flagged....

Thanks for the great responses. I would think CCing would make me feel safer in today's society. When I think of it though if feels more like there would always be an underlying level of stress that someone might spot my piece and I'd get "caught" doing something perfectly legal by my coworkers and business customers whom would consist of high-level business executives that probably wouldn't understand a person's need/right to carry.

I guess its that underlying added stress that has prevented me from getting a license in the first place. Do any of you struggle with that? Is it something you just cope with or does it go away?

...or am I just paranoid. Is your gun so well concealed that you really don't have any concern that you'll be found out?

Thanks again!

-r

You are just going through what I think a lot of people go through when making the decision and even for a little while after they start carrying.

I have a close friend who is always ccing. I knew him for several years until I found out that he had his CHL and never once noticed that he was. It is just a matter of finding the set-up that works for you.

(either by the teacher or the OFF (OFF told me about the appeal when I emailed them)).
The company i work for just got a letter from the OFF. They told my company that it was illegal for them to instate a no weapons policy. My Boss told us that we could not carry on duty because of a new state law but we can have weapons in our vehicles. It is a conflict of interest for us to carry while on duty.

My company has a no firearms policy as well, but I don't work in the office rather I'm a HVAC Service mechanic and drive a company vehicle. My job also includes working at night and on call rotation which could put me anywhere in the state if needed. 3 years ago I was working nights on a project in downtown Seattle and one of the electricians on the job went out to his truck to grab some material when he was robbed, stabbed and nearly killed by some thugs. After that happened I decided I rather be fired for protecting myself than be caught unarmed!

I carry at work. I have my keltec 380 for my pocket gun. And if people ask my if I am armed I say yes. I am left armed and right armed.
Ouutside of work I carry a 40 or my 45

I echo your sentiment. It has been a consideration that I have had but one that I haven't yet acted upon. My job does play a part in the decision.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top