JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's a Q&A from, FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide In The Beaver State.

http://oregonfirearms.org/faq/

I was recently referred to your website by some members of GlockTalk.com when i asked a question regarding where CHL holders could, and could not carry firearms.

I asked the question because some information that came with my application for a CHL contained the following quote:

Possession of a Concealed Handgun License does not authorize you to carry a firearm on any of the following properties:....Any private business or private facility where a condition of being on the premises or facility is that you not possess a firearm.

I was referred to the ORS section 166 which makes no mention or the business having the rights to exclude CHL holders.

After reading the sections thoroughly, i called up Washington County Sheriffs CHL unit, and asked them to clarify for me that it is indeed Oregon Law. The women at the Sheriff's office told me to look at 166.173, that i would find that provision there. I told her that the provision was for public buildings, and she told me that it covers private business's too. I should have brought up the point that 166.173 also states that CHL are exempt from that statute, but i figured she really didn't know what she was talking about.

I am writing you to see if you have heard this before, and find out what i can do to find out the truth. I don't want to cause too many waves until after i have my permit in hand (still about 2-3 weeks out). But i would like to know where i can, and cannot carry with a CHL.

Any help would be appreciated.

C.

Dear C,

Private property is private property.

The owner of the property can make it a condition of access that you dress only in plaid or wear a bunny suit. (Fortunately, this happens with relative infrequency.)

Thus, a restaurant, home or private hospital CAN tell you you are not allowed in with a firearm.

This, however, then becomes a trespass issue, meaning if you DO go somewhere private with a gun, they can ask you to leave. If you don't, you are trespassing.

There is nothing else in the law dealing with this issue.

That being said, don't fall for all the other lies you may be told about where you may and may not be with a gun.

For example, you cannot be barred from any school or school grounds, no matter what anyone tells you.

You can be barred from courts, but you're free to wander the halls of the Capitol with your (permitted) firearm beneath your coat.

In fact, there is some indication that you are not even barred from the Post Office if you are there for a "lawful purpose." (Consult your attorney.)

As you know, every dirt bag bureaucrat and his brother is trying to institute restrictions on carry.

That's why we're suing the city of Portland and have already gotten the State Fair to back down on their "no guns" policy. Expect more of this crap in the future.

As far as the private property is concerned, we (not being lawyers) would NEVER suggest you do anything that would upset the property owner.

We also would point out that you would probably feel REALLY, REALLY stupid if your gun was in the car when you needed it and why would anyone KNOW you had a gun if you didn't tell them?

But that's just our opinion.

First off, the State Fairgrounds aren't private property. Second of all, I believe that I recall the state losing a lawsuit pertaining to this very thing in the last year. I believe that the ban on concealed handguns on the state fairgrounds was found to be against the law and overturned. From what I have been told, you tell the security guy up front and they will have a State Trooper talk to you and verify your license.

First off, the State Fairgrounds aren't private property. Second of all, I believe that I recall the state losing a lawsuit pertaining to this very thing in the last year. I believe that the ban on concealed handguns on the state fairgrounds was found to be against the law and overturned. From what I have been told, you tell the security guy up front and they will have a State Trooper talk to you and verify your license.

Maybe that would explain the lower quote by Chee-to.:s0155:

That's why we're suing the city of Portland and have already gotten the State Fair to back down on their "no guns" policy. Expect more of this crap in the future.

They started trying that 5-6 years ago. They made my wife empty her purse. I walked straight in with a 1911 under my shirt.

Concealed is concealed. And considering the clients at the fair, safe is safe.

me = not a lawyer

Here is part of the ORS for your review and interpretation pleasure. Emphasis added.
166.173. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate,
restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public
places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do
not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official
duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official
duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or
on a public building { + or mass transit vehicle + } under ORS

<broken link removed>

Katie Cannon, director of the Oregon State Fair, Salem, had the same instinct following Sept. 11. And she learned the same thing that Musser did: As long as the gun owners had a permit, they could bring it onto the fairgrounds during the fair.

iIwas told by a State Fair security guard that I could bring my concealed pistol into the Fair as I have a current Oregon CHP, but I could not bring my pocket knife.

iIwas told by a State Fair security guard that I could bring my concealed pistol into the Fair as I have a current Oregon CHP, but I could not bring my pocket knife.

Well, I guess in case there's trouble he didn't want you to bring a knife to a gunfight.......:winkkiss:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top