Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Concealed carry at Oregon State Fair

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by DALE, Aug 26, 2009.

1. DALE

DALE Boring, Oregon Member

I plan on attending the Fair in Salem next week. I am not aware of any restriction for a CHL holder to carry a concealed handgun on State Fair property. Anyone have info to the contrary?

2. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Here's a Q&A from, FAQ's. A Gun Owner's Guide In The Beaver State.

http://oregonfirearms.org/faq/

Dear C,

Private property is private property.

The owner of the property can make it a condition of access that you dress only in plaid or wear a bunny suit. (Fortunately, this happens with relative infrequency.)

Thus, a restaurant, home or private hospital CAN tell you you are not allowed in with a firearm.

This, however, then becomes a trespass issue, meaning if you DO go somewhere private with a gun, they can ask you to leave. If you don't, you are trespassing.

There is nothing else in the law dealing with this issue.

That being said, don't fall for all the other lies you may be told about where you may and may not be with a gun.

For example, you cannot be barred from any school or school grounds, no matter what anyone tells you.

You can be barred from courts, but you're free to wander the halls of the Capitol with your (permitted) firearm beneath your coat.

In fact, there is some indication that you are not even barred from the Post Office if you are there for a "lawful purpose." (Consult your attorney.)

As you know, every dirt bag bureaucrat and his brother is trying to institute restrictions on carry.

As far as the private property is concerned, we (not being lawyers) would NEVER suggest you do anything that would upset the property owner.

We also would point out that you would probably feel REALLY, REALLY stupid if your gun was in the car when you needed it and why would anyone KNOW you had a gun if you didn't tell them?

But that's just our opinion.

3. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Chee-to beat me to it. ;)

4. Karma

Karma the woods in Oregon Active Member

First off, the State Fairgrounds aren't private property. Second of all, I believe that I recall the state losing a lawsuit pertaining to this very thing in the last year. I believe that the ban on concealed handguns on the state fairgrounds was found to be against the law and overturned. From what I have been told, you tell the security guy up front and they will have a State Trooper talk to you and verify your license.

5. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

Maybe that would explain the lower quote by Chee-to.:thumbup:

6. gtivan

gtivan Salem Member

They started trying that 5-6 years ago. They made my wife empty her purse. I walked straight in with a 1911 under my shirt.

Concealed is concealed. And considering the clients at the fair, safe is safe.

7. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

me = not a lawyer

Here is part of the ORS for your review and interpretation pleasure. Emphasis added.

8. Karma

Karma the woods in Oregon Active Member

Ah....I thought I was feeling brain dead today, and that just confirmed it. LOL. Somehow I misread most of that post! My bad.

9. jakk586

jakk586 Astoria, Or Active Member

10. DALE

DALE Boring, Oregon Member

Thanks everyone for the reassurance and the FACTS ! :thumbup:

11. Cliph

Cliph Eugene Member

iIwas told by a State Fair security guard that I could bring my concealed pistol into the Fair as I have a current Oregon CHP, but I could not bring my pocket knife.

12. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Well, I guess in case there's trouble he didn't want you to bring a knife to a gunfight.......:winkkiss:

13. coloneltim

coloneltim Korvallistan Member

So, now a security guard has the authority to detain you and check your chl? That ain't gonna happen with me.

TS

14. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Thats Dumb and Dumber funny. You may bring a full auto assault rifle but no PLEASE NO sharpened spoons. :bluelaugh:

15. toyman2

toyman2 Walla Walla WA New Member

i beleive in wash if you are asked to show proof of your CPL you have to weather its a rent a cop or a real one