JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone here know if OMSI currently screens visitors as they enter?

Specifically, do they 'wand' visitors or make them go through a metal detector?

I don't like the idea of taking my family into the place if we aren't going to be able to defend ourselves, should the need arise.

Does anyone here know if OMSI currently screens visitors as they enter?

Specifically, do they 'wand' visitors or make them go through a metal detector?

I don't like the idea of taking my family into the place if we aren't going to be able to defend ourselves, should the need arise.
They didn't last Spring but changes can happen without notice. Swing by to pick up a brochure or somethin' to check it out before making a whole family trip(?)

They do have a ninny rule, but... ya know... ;)

I was there a few months back, there is no signage at the doors or screeners/wands. I didn't carry that night, but after that visit I now I know I would have been fine.

Does anyone know who owns the OMSI buildings? I thought that it was METRO, but apparently it is a non-profit entity. I know that METRO and Ginny Burdick have been itching to ban firearms on all public owned property such as the Oregon Zoo and Trimet. Right now you can carry firearms at the Oregon Zoo with a CHL under ORS 166.173(2)(c) and ORS 166.370(3)(d). Since OMSI takes public money, but it is not publicly owned they technically have the right to ban firearms. Also, any private venue or building/event under control of a private entity which charges for admission has the right to ban firearms since you are entering into a contract with them by purchasing a ticket. However, a place where the public is free to enter such as a shopping mall with a no guns sign can go pound sand.

The OMSI website states: While on OMSI premises, visitors shall not carry firearms or weapons of any kind either openly or concealed on the premises. The prohibition applies to all visitors, including those with firearm permits, but not to active law enforcement personnel authorized to carry firearms.

It is until you need to use it. Then the Liberal DA comes after you.

My above statements, do not apply to Native American lands. They are considered their own country.

Yea. I don't care. At least I'd be alive. It's my life. I'm my own first response.

"It is until you need to use it. Then the Liberal DA comes after you."

Each of us has to weigh the costs and benefits of our choices.

If a maniac comes into a building and starts stabbing or shooting everyone in sight, and we have chosen to be defenseless - the "gun-free zone" crowd might be pleased. But some of our friends and family might be dead.

I'm too old and stove-in to run away from, or to wrestle with a do-bad. But I'm willing to do what I can to protect the people around me.

The fact that some people in the world have lost their mind doesn't take away our duty to do what's right.

Last Edited:
Since OMSI takes public money, but it is not publicly owned they technically have the right to ban firearms. Also, any private venue or building/event under control of a private entity which charges for admission has the right to ban firearms since you are entering into a contract with them by purchasing a ticket. However, a place where the public is free to enter such as a shopping mall with a no guns sign can go pound sand.
Private venues and buildings/property owners have a right to ask you to leave but its otherwise not illegal.

Now if the Democrats get their way this year one of the new ballot initiatives will make it criminal to carry on public property.

Private venues and buildings/property owners have a right to ask you to leave but its otherwise not illegal.

Now if the Democrats get their way this year one of the new ballot initiatives will make it criminal to carry on public property.
Yup. Worst thing that will happen if you get caught is you will be asked to leave.

Since OMSI takes public money, but it is not publicly owned they technically have the right to ban firearms. Also, any private venue or building/event under control of a private entity which charges for admission has the right to ban firearms since you are entering into a contract with them by purchasing a ticket. However, a place where the public is free to enter such as a shopping mall with a no guns sign can go pound sand.

The OMSI website states: While on OMSI premises, visitors shall not carry firearms or weapons of any kind either openly or concealed on the premises. The prohibition applies to all visitors, including those with firearm permits, but not to active law enforcement personnel authorized to carry firearms.
"Pound sand" applies to a venue as well.. even though you buy a ticket for admission it is no more binding than "implied agreement". The same in a mall or other with public access. Whenever you step over their threshold... there is implied agreement that you will follow their rules.

There is no force of law other than a private owner to rescind access/deny service and request that you leave. If you refuse to leave, then you can be charged with trespass.

The burden of enforcement of any private party "rule" is on the private entity.... so... unless they use security, metal detectors/wands, consent to search, etc. "concealed is concealed" and, obviously, it's a personal choice how you feel about that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top