JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I would like to share my experience with the Portland Police today and get other's thoughts on the situation.

My business partner and I own a property on a very busy street in SE Portland in the SE 15000 block (not a great part of town.) It is vacant, listed for sale, and has been burglarized twice in the past month. We drive by as often as possible to make sure everything is in order. When we arrived today, we heard a dog and someone talking in the back patio area. We called the police, who promptly arrived within 3-4 minutes.

When the officers arrived, they asked what was going on and we told them that someone is back there and either "living" there or trying to break in. They were about to go back to investigate, when one of them looked at me and asked if I was armed. I said "yes." He asked me where it was I and told him in my waistband. He lifted up my coat and shirt and removed my handgun from the holster, removed the chambered round and placed the round and magazine in my coat pocket. After doing so, he locked my gun in his trunk. (I found out after the fact that my partner told the 911 dispatcher that I was armed and that is why they knew to ask.)

Next, the officers went to the back of the house and found out that the people were transients. They left peacefully and even took their trash!

The officer who disarmed me starting asking me about the gun, ammo I carry, age of the ammo etc. He was very professional and friendly and even recommended that I start carrying Federal instead of Hornady.

After we walked around the house to make sure it was secure, he returned my gun and we went on our seperate ways.

Two Questions:

1) Is it standard procedure to disarm someone in my situation? I did not feel uncomfortable as he was very professional and respectful about it, but was curious if there are training guidelines and/or laws that dictate how law enforcement deals with legally armed citizens in these types of situations;

2) Is it odd that he did not ask for my CHL or Driver's license (I had both on me) after disarming me or before returning the gun to me?

I carry when and if I go to Portland, got in wreck one time totaled my truck the cop ask me what I was carring. and that was all...

I would have made a clear point of asking him why he was disarming me. Politely and in an even tone. I have no clue why they would do this unless they didn't want you opening up if someone ran from the building, which is a flimsy reason but the only one I can come up with. As to asking about your CHL.....ask your partner if he gave your name when he called...if so I am sure they ran you for a CHL before they arrived.

In my experience it is up to the officer but is not policy that a firearm be removed for officer safety. In my experience I have never had my firearm removed by an officer.

Same answer as number 1. It is officer discretion if he wants to ask for the license. He obviously had no doubt that you had one or he didn't care if you had one. I have met numerous officers that think permits are bogus and if you are legal to purchase then you should be able to carry. Now to just convince the law makers that constitutional carry is the way to go.

Did he ask to remove your handgun from your person? They way you wrote it sounded like he just went through the motions. I'd be irked if he just lifted up my jacket and grabbed my pistol and continued doing what he was doing if he did not explain or ask.

Did he ask to remove your handgun from your person? They way you wrote it sounded like he just went through the motions. I'd be irked if he just lifted up my jacket and grabbed my pistol and continued doing what he was doing if he did not explain or ask.

He did not ask. It was very quick, direct and matter of fact. I was disarmed within 3 seconds of my affirmative answer that I was armed.

Were you on your property when these questions were asked? If so, the CHL isn't necessary. The officer could still inquire if you were armed and want disarm you for their safety.

Outrageous. your right to life and liberty were clearly violated by a CLOWN

If anything had gone down you were a sitting duck

i'd be furious.

unfortunately, the courts allow for a very wide berth of officer discretion when it comes to disarming non-LEOs. you have no standing, and you'd likely have no court protection if you resisted this clearly Section 1983 violation of your Constitutional rights.

but our legal system doesn't recognize the law, unfortunately.

---

portland cops have some of the worst f-you attitudes i've ever encountered. they do not give a flying fudge about your rights, next to their authority (notice i did not say "safety").

I would get a new partner.

No crap right?

First the LEO doesn't know if you have any training at all
Second he know if he has another cop come by,the other LEO can shoot him just fine and doesn't need your help.

Basically he is taking one gun out of the equation.One less thing he has to worry about.

Seems to me if you don't like that then don't call the cops.
If I'm helping someone with something like this,not being a LEO,just a friend,if I didn't know how they would react,I would tell them to put the gun away.
I don't want them to panic and shoot me.
If I know then and have seen them in a difficult situation,then keep the gun and help.

These guys know they can get friendly fire from other LEOs,they don't need some regular guy they don't know from Adam walking behind them with a loaded weapon.

Seems the logical thing to do to me.

But I wouldn't have called the cops in this instance.And I would never tell 911 there is a weapon present.If the weapon isn't presented,nobody needs to know it's present.
Or,if something does go down and the cop calls for back up,who gets shot by the second cop?
How does he know who the bad guy is?

Maybe he didn't treat you very nice,golly,but if I was to do this I want to know where the guns are and would have either told you to take the gun to your car or leave with the gun,this is my job here.
Too many wanna bees out there.

I think he did the right thing.

No crap right?

First the LEO doesn't know if you have any training at all
Second he know if he has another cop come by,the other LEO can shoot him just fine and doesn't need your help.

Basically he is taking one gun out of the equation.One less thing he has to worry about.

Seems to me if you don't like that then don't call the cops.
If I'm helping someone with something like this,not being a LEO,just a friend,if I didn't know how they would react,I would tell them to put the gun away.
I don't want them to panic and shoot me.
If I know then and have seen them in a difficult situation,then keep the gun and help.

These guys know they can get friendly fire from other LEOs,they don't need some regular guy they don't know from Adam walking behind them with a loaded weapon.

Seems the logical thing to do to me.

But I wouldn't have called the cops in this instance.And I would never tell 911 there is a weapon present.If the weapon isn't presented,nobody needs to know it's present.
Or,if something does go down and the cop calls for back up,who gets shot by the second cop?
How does he know who the bad guy is?

Maybe he didn't treat you very nice,golly,but if I was to do this I want to know where the guns are and would have either told you to take the gun to your car or leave with the gun,this is my job here.
Too many wanna bees out there.

I think he did the right thing.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with some of your statements and I'm guessing I may have miscommunicated. I meant that if I were the OP and my (business) partner felt it necessary to tell the dispatcher that I was armed, then I would get a new business partner. I'm not second guessing the cop's reaction without having been there to see and "feel" how the whole thing was coming down. I know that I would not like being disarmed in those circumstances... or any other where I had not committed any crime. But I really wouldn't be in business with someone who was afraid of my being armed... or I would never have told him in the first place.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with some of your statements and I'm guessing I may have miscommunicated. I meant that if I were the OP and my (business) partner felt it necessary to tell the dispatcher that I was armed, then I would get a new business partner. I'm not second guessing the cop's reaction without having been there to see and "feel" how the whole thing was coming down. I know that I would not like being disarmed in those circumstances... or any other where I had not committed any crime. But I really wouldn't be in business with someone who was afraid of my being armed... or I would never have told him in the first place.

Yeah,only the first sentence was for you.I understood what you meant,and agreed.

I was at exit 107 in Olympia and a panhandler was giving a guy in a car crap about not giving him money or telling him to go away. I got out with a baton and calling 911.
"Is there any weapons?" There will be
'Is there weapons present? again. I decided to say no because they would come get me with their weapons drawn.
Unless you need to present them there are no weapons.

But why call the police in the first place? The guys would probably leave if you asked them to.
They aren't hurting anybody,so why bother with the LEOs that may have a real call.
Most of the time these guys want no problems or LEOs involved and will do as asked.
Just tell them you are going to the car to call 911 and if they are gone before you call,then fine.
They will leave.... and not come back and destroy things.

Bingo. "concealed" is just that. Tell your buddy to stfu next time.

There's a reason I refer to him as a business partner in a situation where most would call the same person their friend. He said that he told the dispatcher that I was armed thinking that it would elicit a faster response time. Nice of him to tell me that after I was caught completely off-guard.

As I was taught by the Police Officer in my 'refresher course'; once you produce a concealed carry card[valid] you are under NO obligation to show or tell the Officer where or what you are carrying.
THE PERMIT is a permit. PERIOD!!! You are not.................a criminal.

No crap right?

Wrong, he took a gun out of the hands of We the People and violated basic natural rights.. His "safety" is secondary to our liberties and if he does not like that he should find a different profession

Wrong, he took a gun out of the hands of We the People and violated basic natural rights.. His "safety" is secondary to our liberties and if he does not like that he should find a different profession

Can it, Blitz. No rights were violated. He gave the gun back. It was only secured until the officer was no longer needed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top