JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a S&W M&P 340 CT. I like the CT for Point and Shoot practice at the range. However in a real world situation with a bad guy moving around, and myself moving around, the last thing I want to have to think about is finding that little red dot and getting it on a target that is moving. I do like using it at the range for practice though.

I am personally not a laser fan; it is just one more aspect of thought that requires brain power in a stressed situation. I don't want my eyes fixated on a dot when it should be looking for possible threats.

Lasers are slower than irons and should not be used in "typical" circumstances (<10 ft, two-handed shot at an open target, in broad daylight).

They do provide some unique advantages. With a laser you can make an accurate shot one-handed (with either your dominant or non-dominant arm), from an awkward position (seated, lying on the floor wounded, etc.), in low light conditions, from behind cover, looking at a mirror, etc. If you are attacked, you can give your gun to a totally untrained and unarmed buddy and they will be able to defend themselves with it (I-594 alert: tell the attacker to stop so you can run a background check on your buddy first).

The red dot on the body is also quite intimidating, which is a good thing.

Yep

Never give up on the basics. Even Crimson Trace says that and all of the trainers say that......a Laser is a BACKUP and always is and will be. But they are right when adding other variables into the equation, that a laser is an asset on your side when needed.
Yes, I am a CTC shill as I have every single pistol setup with one and I love it.

I had a situation years back where I had to pull out my CCW LCP with laser grips when a perpetrator pulled out a knife against me at a redbox kiosk.

He took off and ran when he saw the laser on the ground and I meant business. Police arrested him and the guy was telling the police that he was simply trying to sell me the knife:rolleyes:. Yeah right.....but he forgot to tell them about the give me your money part.

For those naysaying the laser, I hope it is based on your own experience and training instead of some I HEARD FROM MY BABY SISTERS BOYFRIENDS 2nd cousin twice removed that lasers are junk.,

Go on CTC money back guarantee setup or try it out on one of CTCs demo at some ranges.
They work and they are not an important part of your gun, if it fails, the gun will always operate.

I used to train 100% with iron sights only. Now I do 80-20 with 20 being laser....

I originally got the laser (non CT) on my Sig P250 because I lacked night sights and used it to train on my trigger pull. The last 2 times I have made sure I fired a clips worth just using the laser.

I recently went to the gun range and I place 50 on the body target. 40 were standard contrast sights at 35ft I had a 6" inch group overall but had several clusters of 5 shots in 2-3inch groups....Then I fired using the laser only and I placed all 10 of them in 3 inch group at 35ft. I felt I fired quicker with it being able to get back on sight faster.

Either way I believe i can shoot just as well without laser, but it is nice to know if in a spur of the moment where I could not get the fire arm up in a standard firing position that I can hit the target well with the laser.

My next gun is either a XDS 9mm or Shield M&P 9mm (carry gun)...either one will have a CT laser that activates on grip.

Like someone once said. I will take any advantage I can get.

Those who say it is cheating....I can care less if mine or my families' lives are on the line....

I am personally not a laser fan; it is just one more aspect of thought that requires brain power in a stressed situation. I don't want my eyes fixated on a dot when it should be looking for possible threats.

I think this is more of a reason to have one. I have heard them say set up the laser to be just below front sight so you can use the front sight without the dot causing issue with you using the iron sights.

I saw a video of a bunch of common scenarios and the problem was that in most situations the person was in an awkward position to get into a standard firing stance. The dreaded 21ft scenario we have all heard also made it easier to retreat while being able to be on target, as well as fire from the hip with extreme accuracy.

I would only want a laser on my carry gun that activates on squeeze of the hand. NO button to remember to hit as that requires the brain power you suggest

I think this is more of a reason to have one. I have heard them say set up the laser to be just below front sight so you can use the front sight without the dot causing issue with you using the iron sights.
In theory this sounds right. Have the laser below the front sight so it does not distract unless you want to look for the laser. However, I shoot with both eyes open and I always see the dot. In fact, I often see 2 dots when I am trying to look at my sights! That is a bit distracting. Unless I am looking directly at the threat/target, in which case I see only the one dot.

In theory this sounds right. Have the laser below the front sight so it does not distract unless you want to look for the laser. However, I shoot with both eyes open and I always see the dot. In fact, I often see 2 dots when I am trying to look at my sights! That is a bit distracting. Unless I am looking directly at the threat/target, in which case I see only the one dot.

Good point...I can confirm that. On my P250 I have a laser I have to tap with my trigger finger. So I only turn it on when I want it on.

I can see that being a problem firing iron sights unless I close one eye, which I have trained myself to stop doing...

Josh TD Fonzi asked for input.
Some great opinions written.
My last comment was post #2.
I bought the CT LG436 May 1 2013 from LASER KING
He thinks OBAMA is the GREATEST GUN SALESMAN EVER (love and hate his opinion)!
The original battery is fine, laser burns, has kept on target unchanged since I installed it.
It gets it's share of abuse, SW40. I carry the G27 with the CT in a Crossbreed IWB, every day, coming onto 2 years.

Forty years or so ago, I was taught about the front sight post, sight alignment, sight picture.
As I squeeze the trigger, my focus is on the front sight post.
I call the shot based on the last picture my eye sees when the shot breaks.
If I do this right, the post is sharp and clear, everything else goes fuzzy, bullet goes where the post was.
How long did this take? The blink of an eye.

Now, about feelings...
I feel good when children are happy, dogs are barking at squirrels, etc.
I feel bad when someone is hurting (I carry bandaids for that moment).
But when a person becomes a threat to myself or another,
I don't feel anything but the singing of adrenalin in my body, and the anticipation of recoil.
Everything else is drama

I just get all distracted and start chasing the darn thing all over the place ........ no wait, that's my cat .... sorry, my bad. I tried them, just couldn't get used to them. Still am able to hit what I need to when I need to with iron, though I do like the radioactive ones because they are all glowy at night and I can find the front sight.

Mike

Lasers fail. Batteries fail. Pistol sights don't. No offense to those who like lasers. But my opinion is learn to shoot without them and don't count on them to be there.

You are so right. I'm going to send your post over to the Pentagon. I wonder if they're aware of this fact? All the money they are waisting on things with batteries like Aimpoints and EOtechs. Not to mention those stupid Night Vision devices that give us an advantage of those who are looking to do us harm. Candles don't fail! :)

Fonzi, you are on the right track. The people at CT are the right ones to get advise from. Once you choose your device you need to practice with it. Your ability to engage a target while looking for other threats is one of the biggest advantages a laser has over conventional sights. Taking my eyes off the front sight and looking at the target even for a split second or longer can be all the difference in the world.

You are so right. I'm going to send your post over to the Pentagon. I wonder if they're aware of this fact? All the money they are waisting on things with batteries like Aimpoints and EOtechs. Not to mention those stupid Night Vision devices that give us an advantage of those who are looking to do us harm. Candles don't fail! :)

Fonzi, you are on the right track. The people at CT are the right ones to get advise from. Once you choose your device you need to practice with it. Your ability to engage a target while looking for other threats is one of the biggest advantages a laser has over conventional sights. Taking my eyes off the front sight and looking at the target even for a split second or longer can be all the difference in the world.
Thats because they have a system of logistics. We're on our own, we dont have a support team or back up.
Most guys who use lasers on their pistols arent shooting too far to begin with, so target acquisition is a farce.

That's why I have a yankee candle duct taped on my AR. Don't have to worry about the batterie going out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top