JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was pretty good before these things called lasers came out. Even getting older, I can hold my same grouping fairly consistently. I will stay with what works.
that's great..... for people working on trigger pull, finger placement and instinctive pointing its is a good tool for learning what is happening right at the break

also awesome for making unconventional shots that cannot be made no matter how awesome you group

using as deterrent is about the worse reason I have heard for using a laser......that's along the lines of racking a shotgun to make everyone run.....maybe some wanna be bad guy but the dangerous kind of bad guy just found out your location, and that fact you are armed so they now know more about you than you know about them.
Real mean ones will be looking to gun fight and you just gave up the element of surprise as well

Rest assured, if my laser is on you, you have more to worry about than a feigned "deterrent effect". I'm already mentally calling my attorney to extricate me from your carcass and the boys in blue.

Rest assured, if my laser is on you, you have more to worry about than a feigned "deterrent effect". I'm already mentally calling my attorney to extricate me from your carcass and the boys in blue.
That's where I'm at. If I need to take the shot I will, my finger is already squeezing. But I don't want to if I don't have to.
Hopefully the laser on the chest causes a surrender. But I ain't waiting around, I promise.

I have had lases on my torso.....you don't even notice unless your looking at your chest,if your doing something that attracts gunfire your not inspecting your shirt for winkles

I have had lases on my torso.....you don't even notice unless your looking at your chest,if your doing something that attracts gunfire your not inspecting your shirt for winkles
That's true. But I'll probably sleep better knowing I tried. Maybe? Idk, probably sleep fine either way.

I'm a firm believer in one hand, off stance, off sights, use of laser aided shooting. Using a laser to assist with point of aim when you can't get on your sights, is the main reason I have a laser equipped carry gun.

As for home defense. They are pointless. A very bright flashlight is much more affective in the home than a laser ever will be. Unless you like to muzzle your cat a lot.

Use it on an LCR, for shooting 15yrds and beyond. Closer in, I don't even notice it. Also good in low light.

I went through a few phases with lasers. I also went through a few phases with the CT lights. Some conclusions of mine, for my situation only:

-Laserguards are much less in the way than lasergrips for most guns. Especially on Glocks, a lasergrip really makes the grip too large. Even laserguards affect the shooting grip a bit.
-It is very expensive to buy a gun, buy a CT laser, and also buy all the appropriate holsters for that set-up (sometimes difficult to find, to begin with) and THEN choose to change guns. I cycled through so many gun/CT set-ups before realizing I was tired of the extra work involved in getting set up and then needing to sell everything because I'm so fickle.
-A light on a pistol is MUCH MORE important to have than a laser.
-Lasers never begin to demonstrate problems until you commence firing. In my blessed case, that only occurred during range trips, but it happened more than once! When I started shooting is the very moment I would realize that the activation switch is malfunctioning or the battery is failing.
-Since finding the laser quickly requires strong skills in point-shooting, how about just practice point-shooting or index shooting for close encounters?

At this moment in time, after owning over a dozen Crimson Trace products, I no longer use a single one. My carry pistols have night sights and I carry a flashlight. My dedicated HD pistol is wearing a TLR-1, which is much brighter than a CT lightguard.

its intended to be a bright red dot sitting on top of the front sight post, not that hard to find.....imho
This only happens at the EXACT right distance. Any closer and the dot is below the front sight and invisible to your dominant eye. Any farther and the dot is way above the front sight. Hopefully your encounter only occurs at exactly 7 yards.

Sorry, one last rant on lasers... I shoot with both eyes open all the time. I am always distracted, when using a laser, by the fact that my brain sees two different laser points. It could be my particular eyesight, but I always saw two dots shaking around out there on the target and I just got distracted. Granted, that's just a training issue...

This only happens at the EXACT right distance. Any closer and the dot is below the front sight and invisible to your dominant eye. Any farther and the dot is way above the front sight. Hopefully your encounter only occurs at exactly 7 yards.

Yeah, if my rounds hit two inches above or below his nose I'm going to be all sad.

A laser is most useful when you can't use the sights, either because you are shooting from the hip, or because you are missing your reading glasses and cannot focus on the front post. Or because it's really dark and you cannot see the front sight with or without glasses.

yes, but don't act like its unfindable because its one or two inches away from the sight plane....

You only good for exactly 7 yards distance with yours when it has a laser? cant compensate ?......exactly 7 yards.....why 7 ?....is that where you dial all your sights/optics?.....you sight in your rifle for 100 yards means you hope everything you shoot at is EXACTLY 100 yards away or can you kinda compensate ......like most shooting public ?

I guess I am going to say this since I thought this went without saying

DO NOT depend solely on your laser. shoot your weapon using the irons/optic.
DO use your laser as an enhancement, use it for unconventional shots
DO NOT assume your laser is on the money at all yards, know your weapon good enough to compensate for distance gain or loss
A laser is not meant to ID your target, know your environment.

Nothing is a one size fits all

oli700, I was only responding to your description of how you have your laser "aimed" to be just above your front sight post. No matter how you look at it, there is only one point in front of you where that can be true, according to geometry. At all other distances, you will NOT find your laser where you wrote that you would. That distance is determined by you. I just used 7 yards as an example. Maybe you have your "zeroed" at 15 yards, but that would mean that it is below the front sight all the out to that distance.

Lasers can be very useful, but it is a different sighting system than the sights and cannot really be used at the same time. They have different uses. The laser is great for particular situations. In all of your extra statements and reminders, oli700, you are completely correct.

oli700, I was only responding to your description of how you have your laser "aimed" to be just above your front sight post. No matter how you look at it, there is only one point in front of you where that can be true, according to geometry. At all other distances, you will NOT find your laser where you wrote that you would. That distance is determined by you. I just used 7 yards as an example. Maybe you have your "zeroed" at 15 yards, but that would mean that it is below the front sight all the out to that distance.
I'm with you now, your right and my comment would be better suited to describing a red dot, its what I get for trying to make a quick point

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top