JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi NWF!

Fonzi here again. I've been working closely with some of the staff at Crimson Trace at length and am gradually becoming a convert to the idea of running a laser on my concealed carry piece. Why? Because it's cheating. And I am all about cheating when trying to preserve my safety and others'. Does anyone here have any thoughts on this? Pros? Cons? Recommendations or experiences?
I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Regards,

Josh Fonzi
Threat Dynamics

I too installed a Laserguard on my daily carry. It's pretty slick. Still fits the holster and doesn't impinge at all. Confident target acquisition definitely happens a little faster. And as Rick said, it gets the point across. Almost always, that threat is all that is required.
The only con I can imagine would be the unlikely event where I draw, expecting a laser to line up my shot, only to have dead batteries. Could potentially cost a second or so. Keep your powder dry and your batteries fresh, eh?

Every guy Ive shot with that had a laser on his CC took FOREEVER to take a shot.

So many guys get used to hunting for the red dot, then taking their shot. That never seemed practical.

Just my experience. They do have a purpose, but for folks just starting out, it encourages horrible technique.

Last Edited:
Every guy Ive shot with that had a laser on his CC took FOREEVER to take a shot.

So many guys get used to hunting for the red dot then taking their shot that its never seemed practical.

Just my experience. They do have a purpose, but for folks just starting out, it encourages horrible technique.
I can understand this. Mostly pertaining to those without a lot of experience shooting, as you noted. But I think it comes down to practice.
The first few tries with a laser, I sucked. But within minutes I was a little quicker with the shot. More important was the fact that the hurried shot was a little more accurate.
Just my $.02, of course.

I have a CT laser on my shower Glock, internal, just before the CNC machine broke. Originally on a G23 but the laser keep malfunctioning, CT kept fixing it then I got the bright idea to swap a G19, zero issues.

Glock.jpg

Lasers fail. Batteries fail. Pistol sights don't. No offense to those who like lasers. But my opinion is learn to shoot without them and don't count on them to be there.

I became a lazer convert about two years ago on my LPC and for the last year on my Sig P290RS, the pistols I carry about 90% of the time. IMHO, to acquire the dot, use the irons! Oh, and keep them zeroed to the same point, trusting the lazer to be on the point of aim was the hardest thing for me. I still check them often!

If your rich enough to put one on every gun you own for SD then great. Otherwise keep your training to one method and master that.

Ive been toying with a laser grip for my P220. Doesn't change the holstering of the firearm doesn't affect the weight of the gun much at all, doesn't snag while drawing.

Lasers are slower than irons and should not be used in "typical" circumstances (<10 ft, two-handed shot at an open target, in broad daylight).

They do provide some unique advantages. With a laser you can make an accurate shot one-handed (with either your dominant or non-dominant arm), from an awkward position (seated, lying on the floor wounded, etc.), in low light conditions, from behind cover, looking at a mirror, etc. If you are attacked, you can give your gun to a totally untrained and unarmed buddy and they will be able to defend themselves with it (I-594 alert: tell the attacker to stop so you can run a background check on your buddy first).

The red dot on the body is also quite intimidating, which is a good thing.

Only thing a laser showed me was how much my aim wobbled around :(...I think it causes you to be fixated on the laser, and trying to aquire the right spot with the laser caused me to hesitate more before firing.

I will just keep my Trijcon sights and just line up the dots and keep pulling the trigger.

Lasers are slower than irons and should not be used in "typical" circumstances (<10 ft, two-handed shot at an open target, in broad daylight).

They do provide some unique advantages. With a laser you can make an accurate shot one-handed (with either your dominant or non-dominant arm), from an awkward position (seated, lying on the floor wounded, etc.), in low light conditions, from behind cover, looking at a mirror, etc. If you are attacked, you can give your gun to a totally untrained and unarmed buddy and they will be able to defend themselves with it (I-594 alert: tell the attacker to stop so you can run a background check on your buddy first).

The red dot on the body is also quite intimidating, which is a good thing.

I have CT railmasters, CT grips etc for a few of my handguns. I pretty much ONLY use them in my one hand and off hand shots. Ill throw it on sometimes when practicing but I'm using the sights not the laser to make shots.

Where do you expect to be?

I have a laser on my "house gun" - expect to be in the house - not out of doors.

I am not a night person, so most of the time I am out and about the sun is up. Lasers do not show nearly as well in the sun. At the range, my red laser is hardly visible when pointing at the deck 3ft in front of me. Forget about seeing it on a target.

At the indoor range, I no better or worse than with iron sights.

I have broken 2 rail mount lasers under small guns - I think the snappy-ness due to the lack of mass made an impact. Warranty or not, I have gone away from those brands. (not the one mentioned in the OP)

I have no experience with green lasers.

If I worked at a place like TD - I would definitely have a laser on the gun.
I would also open carry a full size.

Advice Worth what you are paying for it.

Personally, I don't use lasers. the only use I see for them in a "Deffense" situation is for people who can barely see without glasses. Even my old mom can put what she calls a "pie sized red dot" center mass on an intruder and keep rounds on target.

I don't want the extra time it takes my brain to process where the little red dot is going when I should just be pointing and pulling the trigger.

Cuz, if I ever have to use my pistol, it will be at such a close distance that I could hit what i need without much looking.

got one last Christmas and threw it on my CC....after it helped me improve my trigger pull and hold I decided I really like it and it has a place on my CC .....didn't anticipate I would like it as much as I have.

IMG_1933_zps705d4601.jpg

I don't train with lasers because I don't think that's their POU. However, I'm really convinced that it's just one more layer of deterrent, as anyone who's seen "Predator" can attest. My thoughts for what they're worth (price of admission).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top