JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lane county- 31 day from application submittal to receiving it. Very smooth ie. no appointments, extra waiting. I just used the firearms safety certificate I got from an online safety course (was free), submited my paperwork and took my crappy photo at the same time, waited my 31 days and presto. I just received my little envelope in the mail this past saturday. Now I just need to find a comfortable holster for my ultra carry 45.:D

Lane county- 31 day from application submittal to receiving it. Very smooth ie. no appointments, extra waiting. I just used the firearms safety certificate I got from an online safety course (was free), submited my paperwork and took my crappy photo at the same time, waited my 31 days and presto. I just received my little envelope in the mail this past saturday. Now I just need to find a comfortable holster for my ultra carry 45.:D

What's the link to the online course for the certificate. I have a friend I go out shooting about once a month or so and he's very competent with firearms and safety, and we both have been around firearms since we were kids together, but he's really busy and doesn't have time to take a 2-4 hour safety course to get his CHL. I think this might be a good way to get that part checked off for him.

Concealed Carry Class 2/6/10

Scheduled appt. on 2/8/10

Appt. 3/1/10

License in mail 3/20/10

19 days from appt to CHL in hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

There is a thread about that very subject on this very page of the forum. The consensus is: Takes about a half a year. You have to drive to a border county (not PDX/metro area) and apply. I believe Oregon requires some form of training for CHL. You need to write a letter of intent (word has it that "I vacation in Oregon and would like to be able to exercise my rights while in your state. I am also a Washington permit holder." usually works.)

Thread is here:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6719

some years ago and have renewed it about three times since. Each time before I've had to get a letter from the WA Health Dept verifying that I have never been involuntarily committed to a mental institution and also have a letter from my employer on their letterhead stating that it was OK for me to have a permit. Since I have a business I wrote my own letter. Took only a couple months to get it including the course.

This year no letter from the health dept and only a letter as to why I wanted to renew. Took about a month to get it to me. Multnomah County.

I've had my WA permit for well over 20 years now too. My father had one sometime in the 60's. I found it one day while going through his papers, wish I'd have kept it just to show how long WA has been issuing permits.

Most people don't realize that WA was a "shall issue" state starting in 1961, well before Florida got so much publicity for "starting" the CC license ball rolling.

When I got my first WA permit the Sheriff's officer held it out to me, then pulled it back saying "if it weren't the law I wouldn't give any permits out" and this was about 24 years ago or so. I got my permit because my ex GF's Psychiatrist broke doctor/patient confidentiality to warn me that she was out to kill me. He also told me where she lived and to go pick up the gun (which was mine), which I did. She was a very good shot too, the range office at the "pit" wanted her to go pro.

It was pretty fast in Multnomah County (just over three weeks)

Class: 3/16/10
Appointment: 3/22/10
"Issued": 4/9/10
In Hand: 4/13/10

The folks at the sheriff's office were actually really helpful, and the volunteer deputy who taught the class was very encouraging of everyone to apply.

What's the link to the online course for the certificate. I have a friend I go out shooting about once a month or so and he's very competent with firearms and safety, and we both have been around firearms since we were kids together, but he's really busy and doesn't have time to take a 2-4 hour safety course to get his CHL. I think this might be a good way to get that part checked off for him.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

[/Does that actually work? Why doesn't everyone do it that way?

Worth a try, anyway QUOTE]

Yes it does. And best of all, it's free. I spoke to the guy at the counter at the lane county sherriff's office and he told me that he's heard that several other counties are accepting this safety certificate for chl applications. My girlfriend and I just received our chl's this past saturday as proof that they do work.:s0155::D

[/Does that actually work? Why doesn't everyone do it that way?

Worth a try, anyway QUOTE]

Yes it does. And best of all, it's free. I spoke to the guy at the counter at the lane county sherriff's office and he told me that he's heard that several other counties are accepting this safety certificate for chl applications. My girlfriend and I just received our chl's this past saturday as proof that they do work.:s0155::D

Snohomish CO. picked it up in 2 weeks

Marion County, Oregon. March 2010 Took 2 weeks. (3 if you count the state police requiring a second set of prints a week after my first appointment. They were "too light".) Still even 3 weeks isn't that bad.

Anybody know if Benton is accepting them? I guess I could just call the sheriff's office and find out...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top