JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife got hers 4weeks and 2 days from appointment.It took 5 weeks to get the appointment in Tillamook county.

Total time was 6-7 weeks. My wife and I got our CHLs on the same day. Tillamook county only does chl applications one day a week for one hour. Our appointment took about a month like hsullyc's. Only took two weeks to get our cards in the mail. They are cheap laminated pos. They even got our pictures mixed up. The card with my name had my wife's picture and vice-versa. I took the card back in and they mailed them back to me the next day. My brothers license (Yamhill Co.) is like a real drivers license. I feel gypped:complain:

Got my WA concealed permit about 15 years ago, the entire process took about 4 weeks from time I walked into the Sheriff's office, paid and got fingerprinted to the arrival of the license.

Currently getting my Oregon CHL
Took my concealed weapons class on 5/29/09.
Turned in my application and letter a day later.
Got a letter setting my apointment about 2 weeks later for 10/1/09.
Received a call from the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office stating they were taking applicants in all day Saturday the the 19th from 8 to 4. Arrived at around 9:00am and was the forty second person in line, all said and done in 90 minutes...very efficient for the amount of applicants. Fingerprinting, Picture and Fee paid on 9/19/09.
Sitting patiently at 124 days since starting the process and counting. Thought to be honest it has not seemed that long. I'll keep this updated.

*Update* 9/30/09 at 124 days and just mere hours after this post, my Oregon CHL arrived in the mail today....funny things is the check as yet to clear lol.

Last Edited:
So far... Whatcom County, Washington... Applied on Sept 24th and the clerk showed me I'd receive it by Oct 24th, exactly 30 days from application. I believe WA state has to give it to you within 30 days if nothing prohibits you from having one.

Sorry if that was jumbled, it's early and it's been a long day.

There is a thread about that very subject on this very page of the forum. The consensus is: Takes about a half a year. You have to drive to a border county (not PDX/metro area) and apply. I believe Oregon requires some form of training for CHL. You need to write a letter of intent (word has it that "I vacation in Oregon and would like to be able to exercise my rights while in your state. I am also a Washington permit holder." usually works.)

Thread is here:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6719

What part of "shall not be infringed" do we not understand??? I gotta wait how many weeks/months to protect myself from that meth head running at me with a knife right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Utah cashed my check on 3/04/10. Still waiting. UPDATE: Speak of the Devil, arrived yesterday, making Utah currently right at 2 months from submittal to delivery to out of state applications.

WA county, OR took about 5 weeks from submittal in early Feb.

Last Edited:
Seems like mine out of Columbia County took around a month from making the appointment on the phone.

The sheriffs department screwed something up and the state kicked it back or something and it added on extra week. Plus I had to make an extra trip to the sheriffs department.

Oregon: Grant Co. Sheriff
Date: March 27th
Recieved: April 16th
Total: 20 days

Washington: Tacoma City Building
Date: April 1st
Received: April 28th
Total: 28 days

Called for Appointment on May 22, 2009, appointment setup for July 14, 2009, Issued CHL Aug 4th 2009. ( 44 days from call for appointment to the actual appointment), then 3 weeks to the day for the license.

So that would make it 65 days total...seems there were a lot of applications during that summer.

Just applied April 20th for the Utah permit (by mail of course)

From my experience it seems like they count the maximum time your supposed to get it in (30 days, 60 days, etc) and count the days out, then factor in how long mail delivery is, but not including holidays) and send it out on say Day 28 if the mail takes 2 days normally. I got my Oregon CHL on Day 31, but there was a holiday and I got my Washington CPL on Day 60 exactly, with no holidays.
I think they really enjoy making you wait :p

Required credentialing class on a Sunday evening.
Application/photo/prints on Monday just before lunch hour.
Patient waiting for exactly 45 days.
Phonecall on day 45 resulted in the nice lady staying late (5 minutes) past closing to hand me my CHL over the counter.

I got some convoluted story about being backed up and "for some reason, yours is still sitting in my stack to mail out." She was happy to wait for me to drive 30 minutes to pick it up and save the stamp.

My Alaska permit took all of 2 hours back when I was a resident there. Florida permit by mail is at week 2 and counting since I sent everything off.

-Case

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top