JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going to carry in Oregon, just in my baggage not on my person. It's not like there is a locker at the border to put it in.

No its not! Im not trying to tell you how to live your life, but read the laws before you travel. I don't think you want to go thru the hassle if for some reason you should be discovered with a concealed weapon on your person or within reach in your vehicle as defined by Oregon law (link below) without an Oregon permit.

I travel to Oregon regularly and finally just decided to get an Oregon permit instead of chancing it and running with the bulls after crossing the river every trip down, problem solved.

Safe travels! G

ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes

Well according to that law it looks like I am good to go as long as it's not within reach in the vehicle. That's easy, I'll just lock it up in the glove box.
Thanks!

If your going hunting of fishing with valid license (to fish or hunt NOT your DL lol) you are good to go! Like WA does OR also has that exemption.

Like Gcban said def read thro the laws a few times before you travel anywhere. As Unconstitutional as it is they are so uptight about gun laws it is sick, last thing you wanna do is lose your pistol 9or possible firearm privilages altoghether) because of a stupid technicality.

If you plan to travel to OR alot I would highly suggest the small investment in gettin your OHL!

Hope you enjoy your halloween and drive safely!

Give the Washington County sheriff office a jingle and setup an appointment to get an Oregon CHL. WCSO is supposed to be good about approving out of state CHL applicants, and processing them quickly. It's worth it to keep legal, isn't it? Or you can just open carry...

What part of OR are you going to?

In most of OR OPEN carry is legal. Get to the boarder and tuck your bubblegum in and it is no longer concealed and you are legal.

If you dont want to open carry simply unload the gun and put it in a bag in your back seat.

I don't go to Oregon enough to justify a permit. While I am there I will just put away unloaded and I should be good (according to the way the law reads)

Be advised that when you cross the border on I5 or I205 your entering Portland and Portland is a no Open Carry without Oregon CHL. Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence all "public buildings" are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license

Oregon | OpenCarry.org

Be advised that when you cross the border on I5 or I205 your entering Portland and Portland is a no Open Carry without Oregon CHL. Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence all "public buildings" are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license

Oregon | OpenCarry.org

I am going to start by saying...Read Oregon State Law...in particular read ORS 166.250(3), and ORS 166.260. Then move on to ORS 166.360-380. As a visitor to Oregon for WA, those are the ones that make the biggest difference.

I will start by agreeing....DO NOT conceal a loaded handgun anywhere on your person, or in your luggage, in Portland, Salem, Beverton, or actually anywhere in OR etc...without an OR CHL. That is an absolute...do not do it...it is not worth the risk. (unless you meet an exemption in ORS 166.260,) but I still would not do it...OK? CC in OR without a CHL is asking for trouble. This takes care of Concealed...get a OR CHL, or just don't conceal...or be covered by LEOSA

OC is a completely different subject. ORS 166.250(3) specifically exempts a pistol openly carried in a holster on your hip from the prohibitions in ORS 166.250.

Then, to understand Portland, Salem etc, you need to read ORS 166.173. OK, now that you understand the bare basics...remember unlicensed, loaded, OC in a vehicle, or on foot is legal except in those cities (like Portland0 that have taken advantage of ORS 166.173.

OK, here is the contravercial part. LOADED OC anywhere is OR is legal if you have a License,,,ORS 166.173(2)(c) says, this does not effect or apply to "anyone that has a license to carry a concealed handgun"... Remember, this applies to OPEN CARRY ONLY...(and does not exempt you from ORS 166.360-380...see ORS 166.173(2)(d))

And all you Oregon CHL only detractors...read your own law...(2)(c) says NOTHING about ORS 166.291-292...however, (2)(d) does...please explain that difference, and if my reading is not correct, why are their two different exemptions?

REMEMBER....this concerns loaded OC only.

The controvercial part is...

Not saying you should but my gal and I carried in Cali for 10 years without permits, including some hairy experiences where we had to draw. No way to get a permit where we were and I would not be here to type this if we hadn't, and at the least my gal would have been gang raped several times, maybe murdered. Concealed is concealed. I would go nowhere without a full size service pistol

Having said this if you need to go to Oregon regularly there is a non resident permit and an OR sheriff who comes to WA regularly to assist. He's gotta be a good man and I bet his work has saved lives

No its not! Im not trying to tell you how to live your life, but read the laws before you travel. I don't think you want to go thru the hassle if for some reason you should be discovered with a concealed weapon on your person or within reach in your vehicle as defined by Oregon law (link below) without an Oregon permit.

I travel to Oregon regularly and finally just decided to get an Oregon permit instead of chancing it and running with the bulls after crossing the river every trip down, problem solved.

Safe travels! G

ORS 166.250 - Unlawful possession of firearms - 2011 Oregon Revised Statutes

So ... how can you get an Oregon permit if you're not an Oregon resident and you don't have a business in Oregon?

So ... how can you get an Oregon permit if you're not an Oregon resident and you don't have a business in Oregon?

Go to the Grant County, Oregon, Sheriff's web site...all the information you need is there. Sheriff Palmer is a very strong 2A supporter and if you live in WA and have a WA CPL, you will get an OR CHL from him. Self Defence is as good a reason for him as any.

Have all you stuff in order, go to Grant County, or wait until Sheriff Palmer comes to Vancouver (he does a couple times a year) Hand in your completed paperwork, get your picture taken and be finger printed...they will send your OR CHL in the mail in short order. He will accept the online "training" as well as military training if you have any, for the training requirement...if you have a question, just ask.

Go to the Grant County, Oregon, Sheriff's web site...all the information you need is there. Sheriff Palmer is a very strong 2A supporter and if you live in WA and have a WA CPL, you will get an OR CHL from him.

Have all you stuff in order, go to Grant County, or wait until Sheriff Palmer comes to Vancouver (he does a couple times a year) Hand in your completed paperwork, get your picture taken and be finger printed...they will send your OR CHL in the mail in short order. He will accept the online "training" as well as military training if you have any, for the training requirement...if you have a question, just ask.

Is it Vancouver? I may be way off base but thought it was the Puyallup show

Is it Vancouver? I may be way off base but thought it was the Puyallup show

I met him in Vancouver, and I know he has been in Vancouver several times... Yes, he as been to the Puyallup show, and If I reamember correctly, I think he even went somewhere in Seattle proper once. It depends on if he has enough requests to make it worth his time, he also goes into CA on occation. You can always go to Grant Co too. There is usually notice over on OCDO when he is contemplating a trip up to WA.

Too complicated. No need to wait for Sheriff Palmer. Just go apply in Multnomah or Washington county. You don't need to reside or work in Oregon. You simply need to write the letter with your reason, which could be "travelling regularly in Oregon" which is what I used. I haev not heard of anyone being turned down in Washington or Multnomah county for any reason except legal requirements not being met- for example a misdemeanour within the last 4 years.

I got my application from the Multnomah (Portland area) Sheriffs office in the mail, in put a short letter in there and explained that I frequent Oregon and sometimes travel at night in sparsely populated areas. Sweet and simple, went to appointment for prints and a mug shot, out the door in 15 mins. 2 weeks and 2 days later permit is in my WA mailbox. Could not have been simpler. (Link from prior posting on same below) -G

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/st...n-non-resident-carry-permit-2.html#post476800

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top