JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where did the legal preciedence come from for the new enhanced background check to buy a firearm in Oregon. I hear of CHL holders being denied the purchase of new firearms due to digging much deeper into our past. In fact, it sounds like they are holding up purchases for things what happened 50 years ago in some cases. Sometimes for things never convicted for. Just on record of a police report. Sounds illegal. Sounds communist.

I am not surprised. I wasn't able to renew my conceal carry permit last November because of the new Oregon gun laws. I got busted for smoking a joint being passed down the row at a concert in 1979 so I am not eligible to own a conceal carry license in Oregon any longer. F'n stupid liberal lawmakers do not represent me. It's OK for marijuana card holders to obtain conceal carry permits in Oregon but I can't be trusted to conceal carry any longer because I have a record for getting busted for a roach. Ridiculous laws like this make me want to take my business and move out of this bleeding heart liberal state, unfortunately my wife isn't too receptive on moving because she has family in the area.

I got a CPL and a week later got denied on a shotgun.......had to call NICS and WSP to get it cleared up......apparently they don't communicate well with one and other. A real pain in the ***.

I am not sure of this but I know my brother and I both received our concealed carry permits about a year ago and have both had multiple firearms purchases since then from a couple dealers and had no issues just like before we had our carry permits. However the worst thing on my record is walking across the max tracks when I was 18(how was i supposed to know that was illegal and I had done it a thousand times before.) and a few traffic violations several years back. I don't know anything about my brothers record, I think he is squeaky clean though. I also have a friend with a DUI maybe a couple(he does use a blow machine) who has his concealed permit and I am fairly certain he has made at least one firearm transaction through a dealer since getting his permit. I don't know all the details about my friend but I do know his new 45 was awesome when I shot it.

I am not surprised. I wasn't able to renew my conceal carry permit last November because of the new Oregon gun laws. I got busted for smoking a joint being passed down the row at a concert in 1979 so I am not eligible to own a conceal carry license in Oregon any longer. F'n stupid liberal lawmakers do not represent me. It's OK for marijuana card holders to obtain conceal carry permits in Oregon but I can't be trusted to conceal carry any longer because I have a record for getting busted for a roach. Ridiculous laws like this make me want to take my business and move out of this bleeding heart liberal state, unfortunately my wife isn't too receptive on moving because she has family in the area.

4. Not convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor.

Holy shiite... that's pretty cut and dry. NO crime of any kind ever???

CHL REQUIREMENTS
be at least 21 years of age
be a US citizen or have proof of application with intent to become a citizen
never have been convicted of a disqualifying crime of domestic violence
never have been convicted of a felony
not have been convicted of a misdemeanor in the last four years
not be a registered sex offender
not have been convicted of more than one drug-related crime
pay appropriate fees
provide written documentation that demonstrates that you have taken a handgun safety course
pass a background check

I do not see how a 20+ year old "roach" charge could keep someone from CHL. Ther has to be more to the story?

Smokin a dube was most certainly a misdemeanor in the 70s. I don't think simple possession was decriminalized till the 90s or so

I understand that but it says not convicted of misdemeanor in last four years and no more than 1 drug conviction ever. Hence either there appears to be more to the story or Sheriff is not following Oregon law.

I had no issues getting my conceal permit but when I went to go buy a gun I was delayed then denied because of a juvinile felony and a MIP that were both from the 80's. Talked to a lawyer and he told me there is no reason to deny me beacause back then juvinile charges did not dissqualify a firearm purchase. Had my record erased went to get another firearm and denied again for someone steeling my identity. Ended up getting a "voulentary UPIN" or in other words and "FBI tracking number". F U C K E R S! it took about 5 months for the whole process.

You must be looking at dated material. The administrative rule as listed here Concealed Handgun, License to Carry - Oregon Licenses, Permits and Registrations doesn't give an expiration.

I am told by the Marion Sherrif's Dept. and other knowledgable sources that the issue is with a technicality of the law. There is no expiration date of misdemeanor drug convictions.

166.470;
(L) Has not been convicted of an offense involving controlled substances or participated in a court-supervised drug diversion program, except this disability does not operate to exclude a person if:

Conviction of any other misdemeanor has an expiration date of 4 years as identified in the following:

166.291 Issuance of concealed handgun license; application; fees; liability.
(h) Has not been convicted of a misdemeanor or found guilty, except for insanity under ORS 161.295, of a misdemeanor within the four years prior to the application;

I think it is back door gun control. If nothing else, make the process of buying a gun a pain in the rear. My point is that there are CHL holders that are being denied the purchase of a gun. This is new. They've bought lots of guns in the past. I heard of one guy that was involved with a college prank 50 years ago that was never arrested. He was put into the hold process.

The CHL and gun purchase programs are different. If you go to the DMV you might be able to get your license but you may not be able to find anyone to sell you insurance. I know what the counter to that is- 'one is government ran and the other is private.' Really though, the process is the same. Both entities use different criterion for acceptance into their program.

CHL's are issued by the sheriff (under Oregon Law) and gun purchases are authorized (approved) by a state agency- two different people making that decision.

Smokin a dube was most certainly a misdemeanor in the 70s. I don't think simple possession was decriminalized till the 90s or so

Posession of less than one ounce of marijuana was decriminalized in Oregon in 1973. It is not a misdemeanor, it is an infraction comparable to getting a ticket for jaywalking or allowing your dog to run loose, with a fine not to exceed $500. Posession of a roach at a concert in 1979 would not be the sole basis for denial of a CHL renewal unless there is more to the story that we are not hearing.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top