JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I posted about the Post Office carry in the other thread. From what I've read it isn't ok in the Post Office parking lot because the law, as it's written specifically states that it isn't ok to carry anywhere on the property or some similar wording.

I haven't read anything similar about other government buildings but I haven't looked hard either.

The "law" people are talking about regarding the Post Office is usually the administrative rules (for government workers and contractors). It applies to the places on that government property that is off limits to the public where those workers perform their duties. An employee is administratively prohibited from bringing firearms on the property.

For you? Use your best judgement and/or seek legal advice from an attorney.

I'll concealed carry wherever I please, thanks.

Concealed means concealed.

Good luck. I took my Dad to the Social Security office about a month ago and they have an armed and uniformed guard in there. You have to check in with him before you can be seated. He was going through women's purses and he asked me if I was armed. There was no metal detector and I never saw him frisk anyone, but I was well aware that he might if he felt a "hunch" that he should.

I also took my Dad to the VA and a couple of other places. I didn't carry.

When I worked at the federal building in downtown Portland, I'd see a regular-looking guy sitting handcuffed in the lobby twice a year or so. The first time it happened, I asked the guards about it. They told me he was a CHL holder who forgot to take off his pistol before going through the metal detector, and that it happened all the time. Apparently the penalty is just a moderate fine, but I'm not sure whether they prosecute it as a violation or a misdemeanor.

I never want to be the legal ground breaker to fight an arrest in court. So I leave my carry weapon at home if I am headed anywhere that I feel will get me into hot water if I am armed.

I never carry on Government property and thats just plain ole common sense, in my opinion.

I did do a jury duty on a trial in Oregon City last year and was surprised to hear the Jury Duty monitor tell folks if they were packing a concealed weapon to get rid of it before being marched over to the court house to go through the metal detector.

I thought that was right nice of them to do that, since we were on county property in the jury room at the time.

The "law" people are talking about regarding the Post Office is usually the administrative rules (for government workers and contractors). It applies to the places on that government property that is off limits to the public where those workers perform their duties. An employee is administratively prohibited from bringing firearms on the property.

For you? Use your best judgement and/or seek legal advice from an attorney.

NO that's not true. Stop saying this unless you can back it up people.

39 CFR 232.1 said:
(a) Applicability. This section applies to all real property under
the charge and control of the Postal Service, to all tenant agencies,
and to all persons entering in or on such property. This section shall
be posted and kept posted at a conspicuous place on all such property.

(d) Conformity with signs and directions. All persons in and on
property shall comply with official signs of a prohibitory or directory
nature, and with the directions of security force personnel or other
authorized individuals.

(l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

Emphasis added by me. Unless you think "No Person" is a phrase that only means post office employees it is not legal to CC on PO property.

I pulled this info from here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads