JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not obsolete, too small.

I think the US Secret Service would dissagree with you...

In 1995, the Texas Highway Patrol became the first government agency to deploy a firearm utilizing .357 SIG cartridge.

The SIG-Sauer P229 in .357 SIG has been adopted for use by agents and officers of the following organizations:

United States Secret Service,[2]
Bureau of Industry and Security,
Federal Air Marshals,[2]
Delaware State Police,[2]
Rhode Island State Police,
Virginia State Police,[2]
Richmond City Police, Virginia,
Bastrop County Sheriff's Office,
Alameda County Sheriff's Office,
Montana Highway Patrol
The Tennessee Highway Patrol presently issues the Glock 31 pistol chambered in .357 SIG. The Mississippi Highway Patrol issues a (Glock 31 Generation 4) with their logo engraved on the weapon.[21][22] The Bedford Heights Police Department in Ohio currently issues the Glock 31/32/33. The Elloree Police Department in South Carolina Elloree Police also issues the Glock 31, .357 SIG and the Madison Police Department in Madison, WV issues the Glock 32 in .357 SIG. The Lexington Police Department in North Carolina issues the Sig P229 DAK in .357 Sig. The Oklahoma Highway Patrol issues the SIG-Sauer P226 in .357 SIG. The Paramus Police Department in New Jersey also issues the SIG P226 in .357 SIG. The West Grove Borough Police Department, West Grove PA, also carry the SIG-Sauer P226 in the .357 SIG caliber. The North Carolina State Highway Patrol uses Smith & Wesson M&P's chambered in .357 SIG. The Herculaneum (Missouri) Police Department uses the P226 and P229 in .357 SIG.

.357 SIG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have a J frame with a Fiber optic front sight and it carries seven rounds .... of .22 Magnum. I can shoot it accurately enough to hit that three hundred pound Meth head seven times and not hit an innocent bystander. If he is still coming all I got to do is remember I'm 325 pounds! ..... and outrun him anyway!

If I had my choice, I would carry an AR-15 loaded with 5.56 72gr HP rounds. Since, I am denied my constitutional right, I am stuck with a handgun. In that case, I think the 9mm with 124gr +P is the minimum of defense rounds. I do carry a snubby, which is .38 +P in my pocket as backup, but certainly would not want to have to rely on it, in anything but the most dire of situations, where I am without my M&P.

I would say get a good pancake style holster or something else that fits you and carry a full sized 9mm and up handgun. IMO, there is really no reason not to carry a full sized gun and those who say it is too hard to carry, just have not been creative enough in their concealment technique. Even if it is 100F, I am packing my full sized S&W M&P 9 and I am feeling nice and cool and nobody thinks twice that I am packing.

If you are unfortunate to work a job with some type of dress code, where concealing a full size gun is impossible, then I would check out the Ruger LCR .38 +P with CT grips. I bought that gun and really love it. It is very lightweight and its thin design obscures printing with the proper holster.

Why can't you carry a rifle? There are no laws against CCing or open Cing a rifle are there?

Why can't you carry a rifle? There are no laws against CCing or open Cing a rifle are there?

Not in Montana, but I don't know if open carry of a rifle is legal in a town or city in Oregon. With that being said, I am yet to see any person open carrying a rifle in Portland. My thoughts are, it is a good way to end up dead or in the back of a patrol car. Yeah, I know we should be able to do it and maybe on paper, we can do it, but in reality, if we try to do it, there will be major trouble. Just think about it, a guy walking around town carrying an AR-15. How many 911 calls, will there be, with frantic people screaming a crazy guy on a rampage with a gun, etc, etc. I think that open carry with a holstered sidearm would draw less attention or create less of a stir, because people are used to seeing police, security personnel, etc carrying weapons like that. Most likely, people will consider such a person involved in law enforcement. Now, if we were living in rural Montana, or even rural Oregon, perhaps toting around a rifle or shotgun on your back isn't such a big deal. But, I assume most people who are interested in conceal carrying would do so because they are travelling within an urban area where exposing a gun would draw undesirable attention.

I wish, however, that people could freely carry their rifles with them anywhere they go, even if it is downtown Manhattan. Sadly, we live in a police state with moderate restrictions. Not as bad of a police state as other countries, but a police state, nonetheless. Even, the letter of law, doesn't always apply when you are at the mercy of a corruptible jury and law enforcement officer who are ignorant of the laws that are suppose to protect us. Somebody posted a recorded audio of a person who tried to practice his 2nd Amendment rights of open-carry in Philadelphia, where it is perfectly legal. He was held at gunpoint, harassed and even had charges filed against him by the Phildelphia Police Dept. How constitutional is all of that? He complied with every demand , but was made a criminal, even though he committed no crime. The only criminal would be the officer and the Philadelphia PD who decided to circumvent both the federal and state laws.

Not in Montana, but I don't know if open carry of a rifle is legal in a town or city in Oregon. With that being said, I am yet to see any person open carrying a rifle in Portland. My thoughts are, it is a good way to end up dead or in the back of a patrol car. Yeah, I know we should be able to do it and maybe on paper, we can do it, but in reality, if we try to do it, there will be major trouble. Just think about it, a guy walking around town carrying an AR-15. How many 911 calls, will there be, with frantic people screaming a crazy guy on a rampage with a gun, etc, etc. I think that open carry with a holstered sidearm would draw less attention or create less of a stir, because people are used to seeing police, security personnel, etc carrying weapons like that. Most likely, people will consider such a person involved in law enforcement. Now, if we were living in rural Montana, or even rural Oregon, perhaps toting around a rifle or shotgun on your back isn't such a big deal. But, I assume most people who are interested in conceal carrying would do so because they are travelling within an urban area where exposing a gun would draw undesirable attention.

I wish, however, that people could freely carry their rifles with them anywhere they go, even if it is downtown Manhattan. Sadly, we live in a police state with moderate restrictions. Not as bad of a police state as other countries, but a police state, nonetheless. Even, the letter of law, doesn't always apply when you are at the mercy of a corruptible jury and law enforcement officer who are ignorant of the laws that are suppose to protect us. Somebody posted a recorded audio of a person who tried to practice his 2nd Amendment rights of open-carry in Philadelphia, where it is perfectly legal. He was held at gunpoint, harassed and even had charges filed against him by the Phildelphia Police Dept. How constitutional is all of that? He complied with every demand , but was made a criminal, even though he committed no crime. The only criminal would be the officer and the Philadelphia PD who decided to circumvent both the federal and state laws.

Why not CC your rifle? Where is the law against that?

I think a Sig P238 would be nice.... If you use a good round it should be good for a backup pistol. I must say I too would not want to carry anything smaller than a 9mm. I just picked up some Federal HST 9mm 147 +P JHP rounds for my XD9SC. From the vids I seen on YouTube it looks like a good round. Now back to the .380, for a backup gun I don't see a problem with it..... bottom line is that it's better than not having anything just in case. Also as the words of a Navy seal..... IF YOU PUT TWO IN THE CHEST AND ONE IN THE HEAD THEY ARE NOT GONNA KNOW THE DIFFERENCE lol.... Good luck and let us know what you ended up getting.

Oh also .380 can be a little expensive and hard to find so you would probably find some good ammo on line... like gunbroker or whatever.

I PERSONALLY wouldn't carry a PRIMARY below 9mm. Backup gun? Anything over 22lr/25acp is fair game, in my opinion.

My most common carry is a Glock 20 (10mm) with a Ruger LCR (357magnum) as a backup. The only time I primary carry a 380 is when wearing a tuxedo (Walther PPK) because... because I have to.

But for backup guns, yeah, I've carried anything from 22magnum to 32acp to 357magnum

Ah yes, another circular argument that gets none of us anywhere...MA Duce said it best, and I think it impossible to top that lucid summary. Anyway, I didn't mean to interrupt the pontificating....please carry on

Never an LEO and a rather lazy concealed carrier, I've grown fond of carrying a S&W 642 in my back pocket just as though it was my wallet. I've found a few pairs of pants where the rear pockets are a little bit deeper. I don't even need to think about it. And if a robber demanded my wallet, I'd reach for the spot men usually keep their wallets and then the robber would get a little more than he expected.

Meanwhile, I noticed that Diamondback has introduced a 9mm that is just ever-so-slightly larger than their popular .380. Anybody have any experience with these yet?

Hey PlayboyPenguin,
I thought that was a pretty nice video for what it was. You made some good points that are often overlooked by the big-caliber-knock-em-on-their-asses-in-one-shot crowd.
Ninety five percent of assailants, upon having a 22LR round enter their flesh are going to be largely disabled through a combination of pain and terror. Of the remaining five percent that keeps running toward you as you keep pumping moderate-caliber rounds into them, by the time they get to you, you're going to have a distinct leg-up on them as they half heartedly pummel you while bleeding to death in your arms.
Another element of my thinking is that there are two distinct time periods for concealed carry. There's pre SHTF and post SHTF. Face it, in spite of the languishing economy, the poop has not yet hit the fan. Indeed, they say that violent crime is down relative to a few decades back - though it's hard to know who to believe. I don't expect to have running gun battles with outlaw gangs of mutant zombie tweekers this year, but maybe five years from now. While I'm happy to presently carry my S&W 642 and nothing else, in the future that weapon may serve as backup to a Glock 22 or more. In the future, I may walk the streets in a trench coat and have a shotgun leaning against the wall in every corner of the house. So let's enjoy the final days of relative calm (before the storm) and not split hairs over calibers.

why would you ask a caliber question on a gun forum if not to troll?

if your intent is honest you will just have to look up real research on your own and make your own decision.

now would a mob please lock this tread?

Hey PlayboyPenguin,
I thought that was a pretty nice video for what it was. You made some good points that are often overlooked by the big-caliber-knock-em-on-their-asses-in-one-shot crowd.
Ninety five percent of assailants, upon having a 22LR round enter their flesh are going to be largely disabled through a combination of pain and terror. Of the remaining five percent that keeps running toward you as you keep pumping moderate-caliber rounds into them, by the time they get to you, you're going to have a distinct leg-up on them as they half heartedly pummel you while bleeding to death in your arms.
Another element of my thinking is that there are two distinct time periods for concealed carry. There's pre SHTF and post SHTF. Face it, in spite of the languishing economy, the poop has not yet hit the fan. Indeed, they say that violent crime is down relative to a few decades back - though it's hard to know who to believe. I don't expect to have running gun battles with outlaw gangs of mutant zombie tweekers this year, but maybe five years from now. While I'm happy to presently carry my S&W 642 and nothing else, in the future that weapon may serve as backup to a Glock 22 or more. In the future, I may walk the streets in a trench coat and have a shotgun leaning against the wall in every corner of the house. So let's enjoy the final days of relative calm (before the storm) and not split hairs over calibers.

Complete crap.

>>>Got any evidence to support those numbers? I didn't think so, after all 87.434% of statics are made up on the spot.

Oh, you're right, I pulled the 95 percent figure right out of my butt. But I think it's a valid point. I'm reminded of the YouTube video of the convenience store clerk who shot a would-be robber in the stomach area with a .38. The guy immediately hit the floor writhing in a combination in pain and terror. I don't doubt the stories of hopped-up criminals or adrenaline-stoked men taking multiple gun shots and continuing. I just suspect that they are a small minority.
And again, the poop has not hit the fan yet. Most of us are not facing outlaw gangs (yet). Enjoying my style of dress and level of comfort and convenience, today I'm just not going to carry a big bore power house. But I WILL actually carry a smaller weapon that will serve me well in the vast majority of scenarios I'm likely to encounter.

Again,shot placement,shot placement,shot placement

My buddy shot a dog in his yard with a 22lr and it went down the street and picked another fight
He was a cop in the Reno area.he and his partner where shot at buy a guy with a 22Mag.They went to the ground,only his partner was dead.Got hit once with a 22mag and died

BUT....But he was not a methed.coked,dusted out fiend.He was probably sober.(maybe)

Then there is the video (posted a couple weeks ago) of the cop taking a shot to the mouth at point blank range,thought the guy had a good punch.

Sorry if I posted these bits

The whole idea is placement.If you place the shot perfect,the person/animal will go down.If not they will continue on what they were doing.
Caliber has nothing to do with that.

Now on the other hand,I read a piece about hunting Alaska that talked about caliber.The guide said they like the customers
(remember some of these customers only shoot a few rounds a year)
to bring a heavy caliber.300win mag or bigger.Customers pay $6-10k for a trip and the guides want them to take home an animal.If they shoot bad with a 270 the animal may run.With a 338ultra the animal probably drops.

That said,if you are an OK shot,but can hit a dinner plate with a large caliber,then you will have more luck that with a 22lr
As long as you don't flinch with a caliber,and can hit the dinner plate,use the caliber for a CCW

Otherwise get a smaller caliber

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top