JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking of maybe taking a few non-credit classes at PCC and I was wondering if anyonw knows the firearm rules at these colleges? I know that I have heard screwy things about carrying firearms onto college campuses. From my research, I know that the colleges have no legal-backing in banning firearms and that you cannot be indicted on any federal crime. However, I was told you can maybe expelled from the campus or get fined. Does anyone know the policies for a CHL holder carrying discreetly on campus? With all the school shootings happening, I just cannot allow myself to be a sitting duck during a lockdown or something. Right now the policy at many colleges is to turn off lights, lock doors close blinds and force everyone to hide under their desk. NO Thanks!

Anyhow, i would be interested to hear if anyone knows the rules or how strictly firearm rules are enforced at PCC campuses.

If you have a CHL, you can carry your pistol concealed on you at PCC under state law. If the school finds out, they may try to expel you or serve you with some administrative school related penalty like what happened to the student at Western Oregon last year. Like posted above, concealed means concealed. Don't tell your buddies or classmates because inevitably it will morph into a "man with gun" call.

Here's some excerpts from Oregon Revised Statute that may help you out:

(4) "Public building" means a hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school. (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
(d) A person who is licensed under ORS 166.291 and 166.292 to carry a concealed handgun.

And one other little know fact:

166.380 Examination of firearm by peace officer; arrest for failure to allow examination. (1) A peace officer may examine a firearm possessed by anyone on the person while in or on a public building to determine whether the firearm is a loaded firearm.

(2) Refusal by a person to allow the examination authorized by subsection (1) of this section constitutes reason to believe that the person has committed a crime and the peace officer may make an arrest pursuant to ORS 133.310. [1969 c.705 §3]

I was thinking of maybe taking a few non-credit classes at PCC and I was wondering if anyonw knows the firearm rules at these colleges? I know that I have heard screwy things about carrying firearms onto college campuses. From my research, I know that the colleges have no legal-backing in banning firearms and that you cannot be indicted on any federal crime. However, I was told you can maybe expelled from the campus or get fined. Does anyone know the policies for a CHL holder carrying discreetly on campus? With all the school shootings happening, I just cannot allow myself to be a sitting duck during a lockdown or something. Right now the policy at many colleges is to turn off lights, lock doors close blinds and force everyone to hide under their desk. NO Thanks!

Anyhow, i would be interested to hear if anyone knows the rules or how strictly firearm rules are enforced at PCC campuses.

They don't allow concealed carry. Not a crime until they ask you to take your gun and leave. So you can do it, but if you're caught expect A) A completely over kill response and B) Probably a write up that "will go on your permanent file."

And that's pretty much the policy @ PCC. I can't remember exactly what it is. But there not much else they can do really. It's not like they store M-16s that everyone can run by and grab to go shoot the shooter.

Since it's non-credit, the worst that will happen is you banned from the college and you lose a couple hundred bucks.

But it's not strictly enforced to my knowledge; That is, the campus security doesn't walk around and ask people, they don't put up signs, they don't say "If you have a gun please leave" It's just a rule that's placed in the hand book.

I used to be friends with this guy who goes to PCC and he was caught with his pistol banging on the metal part of his chair... someone saw him and in a short time everyone in class found out he had a pistol. He was asked to leave the class and go to the office or whatever and public safety also showed up. He knew the public safety but to make the long story short, he was told to not show off his gun, and YES he can legally conceal carry since he has a permit, but you see......... this guy is a little immature, he once went to a restaurant and since he had no holster he placed his loaded gun on the table........ MORON.
So my point is..... carry concealed and be smart. No one really needs to know, if any friends or whatever don't know don't tell them because you can't trust anyone. If the word gets out that OH THIS DUDE HAS A GUN.... well a bad guy can find out also and if he tries to shoot up the school he knows who to find and kill fist. :shooting:

This guy has done a lot of research/ protesting on carrying at PCC. This is not his only post on the subject but it's a good thread to check out.
<broken link removed>

Here is my thread on oregon guns laws and LCC policy which does allow CHL holders to carry on campus in the school policy. The second post is on LCC policy. I carry one or both of my Glocks every day.
<broken link removed>

I would say don't do it. It is their institution and their classes. If they don't want you to carry, you shouldn't, out of respect for their wishes. Whether or not this is right for them to have this rule is irrelevant.

You can carry concealed or open at PCC. I am a fulltime student there and do so both ways depending on the what i'm wearing with no issues as of yet. Some people ask if I'm allowed to, and I just educate them on the law. Most of my classmates know I carry and that I have a CHL. When asked as to WHY I choose to carry, I give only 2 reasons. 1, It is my right to do so, and 2, with all the school shootings going on in this nation, I don't myself or anyone around me becoming a victim to one of those "so pretty much if you're in my class, atleat you know you have some sort of defense". Everyone so far has agreed with me, except for one girl, and she just moved across the room. Anyways, public safety says no problem. In fact, I did a paper on this issue last year and there is a thread up on the forums. Here is an excerpt from the Students Rights and Responisbilities book on Student Conduct.
http://www.pcc.edu/about/policy/student-rights/student-rights.pdf#code-of-student-conduct

12 - VIOLATIONS
Disciplinary action may result from the commission of any of the actions listed herein, or any violation of civil or criminal law while on College property or while engaged in any College activity.

#17. Failure to comply with the following rules regarding firearms and weapons:

a. The use, carrying, exhibiting, or displaying of any weapon (as defined by Oregon Revised Statute 161.015), or facsimiles thereof, is prohibited on or in College facilities, except as provided by Oregon law or when approved by College administration for official College activities.

b. Explosives, incendiary devices, or any facsimiles thereof are prohibited on or in College facilities, except as provided by Oregon law, or when approved by College administration for official College activities.

c. The above rules do not apply to equipment or materials owned, used, or maintained by the College, used by the College or under College direction, nor to law enforcement officers or campus security personnel.

I used to be friends with this guy who goes to PCC and he was caught with his pistol banging on the metal part of his chair... someone saw him and in a short time everyone in class found out he had a pistol. He was asked to leave the class and go to the office or whatever and public safety also showed up. He knew the public safety but to make the long story short, he was told to not show off his gun.

First of all, you weren't there. Not what happened. Not asked to leave the class. A public safety officer was waiting outside as class was getting out. Secondly, was not told anything in regards to how I carry, just asked to see the CHL and then told to have a nice day.

So my point is..... carry concealed and be smart. No one really needs to know, if any friends or whatever don't know don't tell them because you can't trust anyone. If the word gets out that OH THIS DUDE HAS A GUN.... well a bad guy can find out also and if he tries to shoot up the school he knows who to find and kill fist.

FOR !!!
I OC when I feel like it ( going to 7-11, fred meyer, resturant etc).

You seem to contradict yourself.

I drew my 1911 springfield on a guy in his late teens or early 20s and he was like "oh bubblegum". I was off duty and the guy did a beer run and when uniform security tried to make contact with the thief/guy, he started acting shady and had his right hand around his waste under clothing as if he was going for a gun/weapon...... and all that while he was walking away and not listening to security as he was being told to STOP! I was in fear for the security guard's life so i drew my 1911 and IDed myself both verbally and by badge hehehehehe the beer was recovered and the guy learned something new lol

As what? Off duty loss prevention? or did you impersonate a police officer?

As I recall, you got fired for this incident.

Side note: The law doesnt allow for civilians to use firearms in the reprocurement of property. Good example, the Gresham man who fired on people who were leaving with a stolen item.

some people do talk trash when people OC....... funny thing is that they do the S talking when the armed person is away.... chicken sheeple lol beeeehCLUCK hahaha.

Pot calling kettle black.

You can carry concealed or open at PCC. I am a fulltime student there and do so both ways depending on the what i'm wearing with no issues as of yet. Some people ask if I'm allowed to, and I just educate them on the law. Most of my classmates know I carry and that I have a CHL. When asked as to WHY I choose to carry, I give only 2 reasons. 1, It is my right to do so, and 2, with all the school shootings going on in this nation, I don't myself or anyone around me becoming a victim to one of those "so pretty much if you're in my class, atleat you know you have some sort of defense". Everyone so far has agreed with me, except for one girl, and she just moved across the room. Anyways, public safety says no problem. In fact, I did a paper on this issue last year and there is a thread up on the forums. Here is an excerpt from the Students Rights and Responisbilities book on Student Conduct.
http://www.pcc.edu/about/policy/student-rights/student-rights.pdf#code-of-student-conduct

12 - VIOLATIONS
Disciplinary action may result from the commission of any of the actions listed herein, or any violation of civil or criminal law while on College property or while engaged in any College activity.

#17. Failure to comply with the following rules regarding firearms and weapons:

a. The use, carrying, exhibiting, or displaying of any weapon (as defined by Oregon Revised Statute 161.015), or facsimiles thereof, is prohibited on or in College facilities, except as provided by Oregon law or when approved by College administration for official College activities.

b. Explosives, incendiary devices, or any facsimiles thereof are prohibited on or in College facilities, except as provided by Oregon law, or when approved by College administration for official College activities.

c. The above rules do not apply to equipment or materials owned, used, or maintained by the College, used by the College or under College direction, nor to law enforcement officers or campus security personnel.

I can't imagine my friend missed this policy, but I guess he did I'll pass along the info thanks bud!

I updated my thread to include PCC, MHCC, UofO, and Oregon state pending. I think we all know where western oregon stands on the issue with the jeff maxwell case.
Anyway I'll link again
<broken link removed>

And again always feel free to mail me any personal experiences, or insights you have, or corections. my name at gee mail.

thanks

Wonderful information. I feel much more confident now to carry while at PCC. I know the laws are so screwy. Well, if there has been others who have been caught carrying and you are still a student, I guess that is a good sign for me. I am yet to have any detect that I am carrying even in some of the most worrisome situaitons.

Biggie and Komrad, do you guys know each other? I am a bit confused from your post Komrad, as if one of you guys are talking about the other.. Sorry, just trying to make sense of everything written here.

lol. well first of all, you're welcome for the info, and hope you have no issue while attending here. (i'm actually in class now. hahahaha.) And,yeah, me and biggie know each other. Former friends. He used the thread to take a stab at me with some false information. I just cited some of his comments from other threads and corrected his on this one.

Well, I thank you and everyone else again for the info. Komrad, I do hope you and Biggie can settle your disputes and become friends again. I am sure both of you contribute a lot to this site. We should all be brothers here. I do understand people have their issues and differences.

I think if I do take those non-credit courses, looking into language courses, etc.. I will carry. No, I will not wear my NRA t-shirt and Smith & Wesson hat to class with me.

You can carry concealed or open at PCC. .

I'm sure you meant it but to be clear, open carry is OK on a "public building" if you have a CHL, but not if you don't. ORS 166.370; Posession of a weapon in a public building...states exemption to those with a CHL. It does not list an exemption if you are merely carrying openly and don't have a CHL.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top