JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just a follow up, I carried to the Brad Paisley and Darius Rucker concert at the Gorge this weekend.

In all my searching, I never found a 'no weapons' policy on the Live Nation site, their info boards at the venue, or on the tickets. They searched our bag, made me open and shake the blanket I took in, but never did a body or metal detector wand search.

I don't know about other concerts, but at this one, they didn't seem interested.

I won't go back to the Gorge due to the way they set things up now, but it has nothing to do with their security :-/

The Gorge is private property, so the RCW doesn't apply.

Why not? The RCW doesn't say anything about public vs private property.

In fact, 'outdoor music festival' in 70.108.020 appears to be defined very confusingly. Anyone willing to bet that a Gorge concert in which doors open at 7pm and the main act finishes at midnight could be ruled an outdoor music festival under this definition?

But then there are two exceptions. The Gorge is a permanent auditorium is it not? And surely a concert there would be 'required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.'

I thought they added this to cover the Folklife shooting at Seattle Center but it's not even clear that is covered, since I'm sure that would be licensed under other laws of the State too.

RCW 70.108.020
Definitions.

For the purposes of this chapter the following words and phrases shall have the indicated meanings:

(1) "Outdoor music festival" or "music festival" or "festival" means an assembly of persons gathered primarily for outdoor, live or recorded musical entertainment, where the predicted attendance is two thousand persons or more and where the duration of the program is five hours or longer: PROVIDED, That this definition shall not be applied to any regularly established permanent place of worship, stadium, athletic field, arena, auditorium, coliseum, or other similar permanently established places of assembly for assemblies which do not exceed by more than two hundred fifty people the maximum seating capacity of the structure where the assembly is held: PROVIDED, FURTHER, That this definition shall not apply to government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds nor to assemblies required to be licensed under other laws or regulations of the state.

(2) "Promoter" means any person or other legal entity issued a permit to conduct an outdoor music festival.

(3) "Applicant" means the promoter who has the right of control of the conduct of an outdoor music festival who applies to the appropriate legislative authority for a license to hold an outdoor music festival.

(4) "Issuing authority" means the legislative body of the local governmental unit where the site for an outdoor music festival is located.

(5) "Participate" means to knowingly provide or deliver to the festival site supplies, materials, food, lumber, beverages, sound equipment, generators, or musical entertainment and/or to attend a music festival. A person shall be presumed to have knowingly provided as that phrase is used herein after he has been served with a court order.

The 'music festival' provision confuses me. I don't think that if it were challenged in court it would stand, but I don't want to be a test case.

That being said, since this is private property, trespass law applies. If they say you can't carry a weapon, and they ask you to leave, you have to do so or you can be arrested for trespassing. I would say that if they are running metal detectors at the gate, they are about to ask you to leave.

I think you're right about the Seattle Folk Life, isn't that sponsored by the City of Seattle? Making it a government sponsored event? It's just too contradictory, not to mention the fact that it's in a completely different section of the legal code from the rest of the firearms law in the RCWs.

I have in the past gone to concerts/events that have had metal detectors but haven't seen many in recent years. Has anyone ever been asked to leave once it starts beeping or do you just show your CHL and enter? I know it seems like a weird question but has anyone ever asked or challenged security?

I have in the past gone to concerts/events that have had metal detectors but haven't seen many in recent years. Has anyone ever been asked to leave once it starts beeping or do you just show your CHL and enter? I know it seems like a weird question but has anyone ever asked or challenged security?

I was thinking of that. . . not especially in Washington and Oregon where the permit says "License" on it. . . But, considering the vehicle is still on event property, and I was there with my girlfriend and her family, I would have probably just slipped back to the vehicle and stashed it if there were wands around.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top