JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ends up that 70 gr of IMR 4350 was the best load. I'd say it was compressed a little anyway. I got about a 1" group at 100 yds. Thanks for all the info.
As tahoe2 has stated, loads that fill the case volume most completely are usually the most accurate. My 660 Rem shoots three shot groups inside 1'' @ 100 yards, all holes touching each other time after time.
Silver Hand

As tahoe2 has stated, loads that fill the case volume most completely are usually the most accurate. My 660 Rem shoots three shot groups inside 1'' @ 100 yards, all holes touching each other time after time.
Silver Hand

This is totally dependent on the case/caliber/powder. Had this same discussion at the range yesterday. One of the old-time competitors was telling how he had one cartridge that he couldn't understand why it shot so well at 90% case fill and any attempt to increase it met with worse results, regardless of powder used.

This is what makes hand loading both fun and frustrating, all at the same time.

I'm curious what your results would be using something slower such as IMR4831 or RL19
my load of 72.0 grs of imr4831,250 gr partition,3.34 oal,shoots 2760 fps from my 24" savage barrel.my best group of 3 has been .30".Iv`e shot several .38" groups with the same load.the bullets I used were the older style partitions with a groove machined in them.

I shoot .308 with a load of AA 2000MR, 178 SMK's and Lapua brass. It's most accurate load is 47.9 gr and at that point when I'm seating the bullet I hear the powder crunching, a lot lol... No pressure signs what so ever, and the chrono shows velocities at 2880. Pretty safe.

my load of 72.0 grs of imr4831,250 gr partition,3.34 oal,shoots 2760 fps from my 24" savage barrel.my best group of 3 has been .30".Iv`e shot several .38" groups with the same load.the bullets I used were the older style partitions with a groove machined in them.

I got 2725 fps so I must be close to yours. If I can improve my shooting I might be able to get close to your groups, but it sounds like you have way more experience than me. Nice shooting and thanks for all of your input.

This is totally dependent on the case/caliber/powder. Had this same discussion at the range yesterday. One of the old-time competitors was telling how he had one cartridge that he couldn't understand why it shot so well at 90% case fill and any attempt to increase it met with worse results, regardless of powder used.

This is what makes hand loading both fun and frustrating, all at the same time.

I have had many loads that shot well under pressured and several loads that went a few grains over the recommended maximum before they started to group tight for the second time using the same powder, primer and bullet. ''NOT That I Recommend you do that!! ''
When I worked up my long range rounds I knew exactly what my goals were and I have accomplished every one and have had my pets in use for, well one load is forty four years old this June and I still use the same powder primer and bullet, others maybe a few years newer but unless the powder or lead becomes unavailable I am set for life. In every case in comes down to desire and dedication to the entire sport. Among other things I have also resorted to re stocking or re bedded several long guns as to coax them into shooting straight.
Shooting at a range or setting up and shooting long range in the Coastal Hills, Cascades or the flat land all comes down to, the more you do it the more you will understand.
Silver Hand

deadshot2 Please review my post - As tahoe2 has stated, loads that fill the case volume most completely [ARE USUALLY] the most accurate. My 660 Rem shoots three shot groups inside 1'' @ 100 yards, all holes touching each other time after time.
Silver Hand

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top