JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking of getting a compound bow for poops and giggles just to try it out and see if I like it. Right now I'm looking at used compound bows on craigs or is it better to buy new? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

I'm thinking of getting a compound bow for poops and giggles just to try it out and see if I like it. Right now I'm looking at used compound bows on craigs or is it better to buy new? Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.

Your budget will be the biggest factor when deciding to buy new or used. Keep in mind that technology in bows advances pretty quickly so a bow thats just a few years old, while serviceable, may not be as enjoyable or as effective as a current model.
One thing is for sure though, they are a total blast to shoot. Flinging an arrow at close to 300 feet per second (FPS) is a lot of fun.
Fun to just shoot targets and great fun to hunt with as well.
Hit a local archery shop and look at some pricing and get some advice. Many shops will also sell used bows. They can answer all your questions and get you something that fits properly.

Good advice here so far. And yes, it is a lot of fun shooting a bow. I only have a couple of points to add: first, you will always save money buying a used bow. In that way, you will get more bang for your buck. Second, if warranties are important to you, know that most manufacturer's warranties are for the original purchaser.As far as I am aware, only Elite Archery offers a fully transferable warranty.

I would also recommend Archers Afield in Tigard. You can rent a lane fairly cheap and then try out a bunch of different bows. They can also provide some introductory lessons and help you with finding a good bow for you. My daughter and I have been going there for years and they are VERY helpful and friendly to beginners. They have a WIDE selection of bows...new and used.

After doing some researching of my own, I did in fact find Archers afield. As a matter of fact, I went in with the fam yesterday, and we all had a blast! I'm definatly hooked! We were in there at least 3hrs until we got hungry, time went by so fast. Definatly going back.

I started archery at a very young age and i learned my skills from the old timers, that built the bows and arrows they used by hand.
I started by hunting carp with a bow and later went on to hunt big game, after getting out of the military.

Compound bows are nice because of the let off, as you reach full draw. But, compound bows are way more complex than a recurve bow.
With a recurve bow, you can carry an extra string, so if you have a problem with your string, you can change it in a couple of seconds and be back to shooting.
This is NOT the case with a compound bow, which requires a bow press to change the string or cables.

For me the less complex a bow is, the better off you will be. Learning to instinct shoot without sight pins, peep sights and all the other modern marvels of the archery world, is what i went back to after using a compound bow for over 10 years.

Also, learning how to make your own arrows, will save you lot's of money and you will end up with a higher quality arrow, that you can repair as needed.

Happy shooting!

M67

If you are thinking of testing the waters, buy used. It will save your wallet, and a two to three year old bow will certainly be good enough to help you decide if its something that you want to invest more money in. I bought mine used off CL, and it's been great. It allowed me to get into a new sport with a less than $250 initial investment. Just my 2 cents.

Apparently, that Hunger Games awful movie really amped up the interest in archery. Geezus that movie was just bad. But of course it won all sorts of awards. Written by a ten year old I am sure.

Idiocracy - where the $1 movie 500 years from now is just a butt farting over and over. It wins eight Academy Awards including best screenplay LOL!!!

Apparently, that Hunger Games awful movie really amped up the interest in archery. Geezus that movie was just bad. But of course it won all sorts of awards. Written by a ten year old I am sure.

Idiocracy - where the $1 movie 500 years from now is just a butt farting over and over. It wins eight Academy Awards including best screenplay LOL!!!

I hate the movies. Anytime there's some type of car, gun, mma, etc... involved in movies, it always makes it look bad or super corny.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top