JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the interest of utter self-sufficience, I'm thinking of ditching my flush toilet for a composting unit. That will leave only grey water running through my septic system, which will (hopefully) clean up the E. Coli contamination in the old well next to the house.

Has anyone had any experience with composting toilets?

Greg

Now this is a cr@ppy subject..... :s0114::s0114::s0114: ooohhh I crack myself up.... :s0131:

I haven't but there is an outfit in New Jersey who converts 40' connexs into self contained living units and they use a self composting toilet that has won awards for its environmentally sound alternative to traditional septic systems.

If I find the link I will post it here.

SF-

Check out the Lovable Loo!

Loveable Loo - The Earth-Friendly Eco-Potty, Household, Camp, or Emergency Compost Toilet.

My wife and I might actually try this one day. :)

Yes, that's the one! In all honesty a Sun-Mar would be nice, but I don't really want to spend that much if I can avoid it. This looks like a good choice. I'll probably order it in a month or two. First I'll build the outhouse, probably 4'x6'. I'll also have to build the compost bins, but that shouldn't be a problem; I have plenty of acreage!

One problem though: Where to get the sawdust?

Greg

Check out the Lovable Loo!

Loveable Loo - The Earth-Friendly Eco-Potty, Household, Camp, or Emergency Compost Toilet.

My wife and I might actually try this one day. :)

Keep in mind that a 'Loveable Loo' is just a plywood box that a 5 gallon bucket fits into. For SHTF or whatever that you hope to never need I would get one of <broken link removed> toilet seats that snap onto a 5 gallon bucket. Then buy the bio-degradable liner bags and the book on 'humanure'. Stow the book, liners, and whatever else you'll need in the bucket so you've got a 'kit' ready to go if you ever need it. I personally cannot imagine using a bucket toilet on a regular basis unless the S really has HTF. :s0114:

Keep in mind that a 'Loveable Loo' is just a plywood box that a 5 gallon bucket fits into. For SHTF or whatever that you hope to never need I would get one of <broken link removed> toilet seats that snap onto a 5 gallon bucket. Then buy the bio-degradable liner bags and the book on 'humanure'. Stow the book, liners, and whatever else you'll need in the bucket so you've got a 'kit' ready to go if you ever need it. I personally cannot imagine using a bucket toilet on a regular basis unless the S really has HTF. :s0114:

What? Not use it on a regular basis? Bah! I'm looking to use it regularly, but that's just me. I'll likely order the book, liners and thermometer and start using it in a few months. I've gotta build the outhouse first though.

Greg

The oldest player I know of in the composting crapper business is
Clivus Multrum. Been around for over 35 years. You would think that
something that's basically a box with a sloping floor, that uses no energy
other than gravity, would be cheap technology, but IIRC they were darned
proud of it in the 70's.

I know that while rafting on the deschutes earlier this year, they had installed some new composting toilets called a "phoenix" toilet i believe. Really AWESOME. you have to walk up steps to get to it (it stands probably 10 feet in the air? I dunno, i was pretty drunk at this point). However, once you are done with your business, you simply poor a scoop of wood shavings into the toilet and you're done! Was thinking of getting one in the backyard but i dont think my neighbors would approve :)

Oh I should recommend this. The books says to get sawdust from a natural source (ie not pressure treated wood). I found this to be nearly impossible. No one will give you sawdust, it's weird. I had places that said, "yeah we got tons, but we must throw it away. You can't have any."

I'd recommend placing all your yard debris in a pile, and letting it age. It won't really compost, not without a source of nitrogen (which is what poo and pee is). But it will soften, break down a bit. Then use that as your "cover material." It will start composting as soon as poop hits it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top