Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Composting toilet?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Modeler, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

In the interest of utter self-sufficience, I'm thinking of ditching my flush toilet for a composting unit. That will leave only grey water running through my septic system, which will (hopefully) clean up the E. Coli contamination in the old well next to the house.

Has anyone had any experience with composting toilets?

Greg

2. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

Now this is a cr@ppy subject..... :laugh::laugh::laugh: ooohhh I crack myself up.... :paranoid:

I haven't but there is an outfit in New Jersey who converts 40' connexs into self contained living units and they use a self composting toilet that has won awards for its environmentally sound alternative to traditional septic systems.

If I find the link I will post it here.

SF-

3. KalamaMark

KalamaMark Kalama Wa Well-Known Member

I'm curious, too. My shop is a considerable distance from my house and the plumbing. I've looked into these, but was taken aback by the prices I found.

4. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

5. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Lower Yakima Valley Well-Known Member

I've looked into them, but haven't purchased one. I believe that Sun-Mar is still the only manufacturer who as been NSF certified for residential use.

6. Modeler

Yes, that's the one! In all honesty a Sun-Mar would be nice, but I don't really want to spend that much if I can avoid it. This looks like a good choice. I'll probably order it in a month or two. First I'll build the outhouse, probably 4'x6'. I'll also have to build the compost bins, but that shouldn't be a problem; I have plenty of acreage!

One problem though: Where to get the sawdust?

Greg

7. Mr.510

Mr.510 Belfair Washington Member

Keep in mind that a 'Loveable Loo' is just a plywood box that a 5 gallon bucket fits into. For SHTF or whatever that you hope to never need I would get one of these toilet seats that snap onto a 5 gallon bucket. Then buy the bio-degradable liner bags and the book on 'humanure'. Stow the book, liners, and whatever else you'll need in the bucket so you've got a 'kit' ready to go if you ever need it. I personally cannot imagine using a bucket toilet on a regular basis unless the S really has HTF. :laugh:

8. Modeler

What? Not use it on a regular basis? Bah! I'm looking to use it regularly, but that's just me. I'll likely order the book, liners and thermometer and start using it in a few months. I've gotta build the outhouse first though.

Greg

9. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The oldest player I know of in the composting crapper business is
    Clivus Multrum. Been around for over 35 years. You would think that
    something that's basically a box with a sloping floor, that uses no energy
    other than gravity, would be cheap technology, but IIRC they were darned
    proud of it in the 70's.

10. dobanion

dobanion North Portland, Oregon Member

Read the Humanure Handbook. No need for $1000+ commercial toilets. Do the composting outside in a pile.

11. Modeler

I plan on ordering one in a few days. Do you by chance use the Humanure method?

Greg

12. Beta1759

Beta1759 Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I know that while rafting on the deschutes earlier this year, they had installed some new composting toilets called a "phoenix" toilet i believe. Really AWESOME. you have to walk up steps to get to it (it stands probably 10 feet in the air? I dunno, i was pretty drunk at this point). However, once you are done with your business, you simply poor a scoop of wood shavings into the toilet and you're done! Was thinking of getting one in the backyard but i dont think my neighbors would approve :)

13. dobanion

I don't currently (I'm on a small lot in the city), but I have in the past when I had room for a pile. Works fine. Do as the book says, and it works fantastic.

14. Modeler

Positive firsthand experience. Thank you so very, very much!

Greg

15. dobanion

Oh I should recommend this. The books says to get sawdust from a natural source (ie not pressure treated wood). I found this to be nearly impossible. No one will give you sawdust, it's weird. I had places that said, "yeah we got tons, but we must throw it away. You can't have any."

I'd recommend placing all your yard debris in a pile, and letting it age. It won't really compost, not without a source of nitrogen (which is what poo and pee is). But it will soften, break down a bit. Then use that as your "cover material." It will start composting as soon as poop hits it.