JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As I was deciding on my main rifle, a thought occurred to me, that I kinda contemplated for a while and decided to ask the community their opinion: What's a "Complimenting Caliber" to this Rifle/Caliber i'm using?

In my context, I've got a Romak-3 (7.62x54r, generally lumped in the .308 class of rifles) and was trying to decide on a 2nd caliber to, well, do what it won't.
.308s are generally long range, high impact, but low rate of fire (please no flaming raging forest fires with this statement, just being general)
So, in my mind, I'd be looking for either a smaller round, a mid range round or a high-fire-rate round, right?
So a dual question: What are your complimenting calibers, and what would be a good choice for me?
(obviously handgun calibers would be a different complimenting set, but would a pistol-caliber carbine be a viable choice too?)
P.S. My main pistol caliber is 9mm.

I think what you should do is ask yourself "What do I like doing with this caliber?" and "What would be more fun/valuable with another caliber?" It appears that you would prefer to have as little overlap as possible in the purposes for each gun. Say a guy has a couple Mosins and a couple full-size pistols. He might want a concealed carry pistol or a .22lr for cheap(er) plinking. He may want an AR-15 for home defense or something else.

You just need to ask what you want to do and then find the caliber that lets you do that.

Your PSL isn't ideal for home defense and you've already got your pistol caliber covered, so perhaps an AR or an AK chambered in an intermediate cartridges like 5.56x45, 7.62x39, and/or a 12g. shotgun would be a good choice?

Keith

Your PSL isn't ideal for home defense and you've already got your pistol caliber covered, so perhaps an AR or an AK chambered in an intermediate cartridges like 5.56x45, 7.62x39, and/or a 12g. shotgun would be a good choice?

Keith

I think what you should do is ask yourself "What do I like doing with this caliber?" and "What would be more fun/valuable with another caliber?" It appears that you would prefer to have as little overlap as possible in the purposes for each gun. Say a guy has a couple Mosins and a couple full-size pistols. He might want a concealed carry pistol or a .22lr for cheap(er) plinking. He may want an AR-15 for home defense or something else.

You just need to ask what you want to do and then find the caliber that lets you do that.

Thank you for the input.
I think a 10/22 and/or a AK/AR might be the right fit then.

First, I "compliment" my wife on her looks and her cooking every day. I think you meant, "complement", right? [Grammar police hat off]

I am struggling to understand what you mean by a "complementary caliber". So, based on what you said, you are looking for a caliber that will do what 7.62 Russian does not do for you.

If you want to be able to share some bullets, in case you are a reloader, then, 7.62 Soviet (aka 7.62x39).

Or, since you seem to be into former Soviet block firearms, 5.45x39. I think you can still get surplus fodder for ~$0.14-0.18/rnd+ shipping.

Of course, 5.56x45/223REM is always a good choice. Under normal conditions, it is plentiful.

But, I'd go with 22LR, for all the reasons mentioned above.

I would get a <broken link removed> or better, but pricier, a Calico

You can get 15 or 20 round Magazines for the Hi-point I understand. But it would simplify your logistics

I'd get a 223 with a fairly fast twist rate. Cheapest centerfire ammo you'll find, good ballistics, versatile, accurate, easy to reload, a thousand bullet/powder choices. Between that and a 30 caliber you can hunt most anything. Somebody mentioned a 22. Everybody should have one, cheapest practice there is by far and a lot of fun.

My rifles are all almost all .308. I usually shoot 180gr which shoots just fine, through for plinking you'd want to use that cheap Federal 160gr. I'm not sure what you mean with your ROF comment. My .223 and .308win AR platforms perform the same, all have 20" chrome-moly with 1:10 twist. It depends on your rifle. If you're shooting an 18" with stainless at 1:9 you're going to be different. What are you planning to use the second caliber for?

Well when I say "complement" I mean it in the fashion of, having a bike or dirt/moto bike for those places a car can't go.

I seem to be leaning toward 5.56x45, 7.62x39, or a 9mm carbine. I'll be getting .22 and 12 gauge guns anyway lol
Or I could buy another "car" and go .308, or get a "truck" and go bigger.

And yes i'm a reloader.

Dude, it sounds like an intermediate round would suit you now, but aim for having them all! LOL!!! Seems like an AK would fit right in with your Romak-3.

How about .458Socom:)

005-6.jpg

002-13.jpg

As I was deciding on my main rifle, a thought occurred to me, that I kinda contemplated for a while and decided to ask the community their opinion: What's a "Complimenting Caliber" to this Rifle/Caliber i'm using?

In my context, I've got a Romak-3 (7.62x54r, generally lumped in the .308 class of rifles) and was trying to decide on a 2nd caliber to, well, do what it won't.
.308s are generally long range, high impact, but low rate of fire (please no flaming raging forest fires with this statement, just being general)
So, in my mind, I'd be looking for either a smaller round, a mid range round or a high-fire-rate round, right?
So a dual question: What are your complimenting calibers, and what would be a good choice for me?
(obviously handgun calibers would be a different complimenting set, but would a pistol-caliber carbine be a viable choice too?)
P.S. My main pistol caliber is 9mm.

A good pistol would be a CZ52 in 7.62X25mm

I considered 7.62x25mm a while back, even still have a buncha brass for it, I decided to go a different direction though.
And honestly never heard of 458 socom.. those look painful.

What's the pre-crazy price for your average AK or 9mm carbine? 5.56nato i'm still up in the air for. (ironically I was against AKs and ARs when I first started collecting, 'cause "everyone had one." now I know why they do lol.)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top