Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Complaints About Classified Prices

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Joe Link, May 19, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

On average, I receive one complaint per day that someone is charging far more than an item is worth in our classified section, especially with ammo right now. I feel this announcement is in order to address this issue and let our policy be known once and for all.

Most of the members on this site, as well and especially myself, are very strong advocates for freedom, personal choice, free markets, and capitalism. Naturally, this carries over to the way we run our classified section. As much as it pains me to see people purchasing guns or ammo then marking them up to sell for a profit, I would literally be unable to sleep at night if I went against my personal principles and tried to do something to stop it.

People, this is the price we pay for operating our classified section with free market principles and freedom in mind, and in my opinion it's a small one. Would you rather us incorporate price controls, intervene in your transactions, create more rules, etc? I'm sorry, but that's not going to happen.

If someone is selling an item for an outrageous price and someone purchases it, both people made a personal choice. Some people are die-hard capitalists who see an opportunity like this as a way to make a dollar. Others see people struggling with high costs so when they see an affordable product they purchase it in order to pass it on to their fellow man, out of the kindness of their heart. Neither person is wrong, most would just agree one is of higher character.

People have the choice to market their item at whatever price they choose. Other people have the choice to purchase at said price, try to negotiate a new price, or try to find the item elsewhere. I see many of the same people who are complaining about prices complaining elsewhere about the lack of freedom in this country, government intervention, rights being infringed upon, etc. Well guys, you can't have it both ways. There is no perfect system, but this one is much better than any of the alternatives.

The ability to make personal choices is what true freedom is all about.

2. emanon

emanon SE Portland, Oregon Member

I like choice. Choice is very, very good. Don't ask Joey to censor the jerks, just vote with your dollars to support the good folks who support you!

Also, and this is just a friendly tip, if you offer me outrageously great trades and or far more money than I am asking for anything I'm selling then: A) You'll probably get the goods. B) I'll feel all warm and fuzzy.

:thumbup:

3. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

Agreed. I just have to sit back and laugh when I see items that I still have on backorder; lets say 15,000 primers that run me around $380 with hazmat charges, (yes thats about $26 per 1000) going for $45 - $80 per 1000.. just makes me laugh. Granted I may not be able to load my 9mm or 223 right now, but will be able to soon. Have gotten to the point dont even look at someone adds unless they have over 150 posts and good coment from others on th forum.

4. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

Way to go Terrylf72! You just passed 150 posts! You must be on the good list! :)

Thank you guys for running a great site.

5. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

Its not just about how many posts they have, but how they respond to questions, thier posts, and Im sure you know that when you chat with someone you kinda get a sense of the type of people they are. I have delt with others that had or have less posts. When I said that, I was refering to those people that just joined the forum and have like 1-10 postings and the only things they have posted are ("primers - $80/1000 firm") or powder $30-40 per pound.. I hope this clears up my point...

Terry

6. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

Kudos to Joey and the gang. There can be a fine line between free market and price gouging and we've all seen the line get crossed on more than 1 occation.

If its too high, don't buy it.

Your approach is just right!

:rolleyes:
    Besides isn't it our presidents job to dictate prices and such?

7. littlecars

littlecars tacoma wa Member

One of the great things about "Free Market" is , if it is overprice you dont have to buy it!!! You can pay to much or you can wait. The choise is your! Freedom

I have 2000 cci SR primers on B.O. through Cabelas right now, I will wait until I get them before I do any more reloading.

8. Scrammer

Scrammer SW Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ask the canceled Chrysler dealers were their freedom of choice is at.
    They have three weeks to sell their inventory or be sued by FIAT (read government) for every thing they own. The inventory on hand belongs to the dealers not Chrysler, Fiat, or the government.
    If you want to over pay that's your choice, if you want to over charge that's your choice, if want to wait for a better deal, that is your choice. not somebody else s decision.
    Right on Joey

9. aslinged

aslinged Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

I agree with everything Joey has said here, and share the free market idealism. The one thing that has to be added along these lines is this: free markets are interwoven with other rights, such as freedom of speech. Most people here can agree, myself included, that it's no big deal to tone down language in order to create an environment that appeals to all. So I don't consider adherence to a site-wide language code any violation of my own code. However, I do think that members should be able (and perhaps encouraged) to comment on classifieds in a pragmatically negative tone. It's perfectly fine and common for people to chime in with comments such as, "That's a great gun. I had one for 10 years..."

Yet, if things are going to be straight forward across the board then members need to feel comfortable saying respectful, yet negative things as well like "BiMart has this for 60 bucks less and it's new. You might want to reconsider you price."

It doesn't make you happy if you're the guy selling the item and you have to defend it, but defending yourself verbally is tantamount to the ideal of self defense overall. It does, however make you happy if you are overpricing your item so it's not sellling and someone politely happens by and tells you why--for instance maybe it's available for 20% less on Gunbroker, or whatever.

Free markets are only free markets if there is an opportunity to haggle, discuss, negotiate and make your own personal conclusions on the value of an item. If we were all standing at the gun counter in some store, you can bet we'd be chatting openly about prices, quality and any other thing we thought was relevant to the purchase of guns on display.

10. Teufel_Hunden

Teufel_Hunden Albany, Oregon Active Member

I agree that the whole Chrysler deal is a crock but, the inventory may NOT be owned by the dealer. Many Many auto dealers "floor" thier inventory. This could put them in a situation that they can be dictated too.

A bad deal but fact.

Again Joey took the correct approach!

11. Anoldbaldman

Anoldbaldman Oregon Member

Maybe a PM or E-mail would be a better way.

12. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

I dunno... I would still like to tar and feather a few people :)

I've got my personal list of people I will not deal with anymore. That's enough for me.

I can't wait for this all to be behind us :)

13. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Frankly, I see this "pricing problem" as a non-issue. If you think the price is too high then laugh and move on. It's not your problem it's the sellers problem. They most likely are trying to gouge the market, over paid for something and are trying to recoup the loss or really don't know the market value of an item. Any way you slice it you don't have to buy it. A polite PM or remark to an add is also a good way to let them know that the item probably won't sell. If they heed the advise, great- if not and show a pattern then they will lose a large potential customer base as people stop looking at their adds and start to find people that they trust.

:deadhorse: :soapbox:

OK. I'm finished................

14. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

I would definitely not deal with that weebs guy ;)

Anyways, I too now know who I'd like to deal with by the quality of their ads, and who I will not do business with.

15. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

When you have 49 positive trade ratings, I think it's a pretty good indicator too!

16. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

I won't deal with PG either... We've bought and sold too much stuff to each other! Enough is enough!

17. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

RECEIVED THIS EMAIL TODAY, MUCH ABOUT free markrt, how to help?

"

May 19, 2009

Letter from a Dodge dealer
    letter to the editor
    My name is George C. Joseph. I am the sole owner of Sunshine Dodge-Isuzu, a family owned and operated business in Melbourne , Florida . My family bought and paid for this automobile franchise 35 years ago in 1974. I am the second generation to manage this business.

We currently employ 50+ people and before the economic slowdown we employed over 70 local people. We are active in the community and the local chamber of commerce. We deal with several dozen local vendors on a day to day basis and many more during a month. All depend on our business for part of their livelihood. We are financially strong with great respect in the market place and community. We have strong local presence and stability.

I work every day the store is open, nine to ten hours a day. I know most of our customers and all our employees. Sunshine Dodge is my life.

On Thursday, May 14, 2009 I was notified that my Dodge franchise, that we purchased, will be taken away from my family on June 9, 2009 without compensation and given to another dealer at no cost to them. My new vehicle inventory consists of 125 vehicles with a financed balance of 3 million dollars. This inventory becomes impossible to sell with no factory incentives beyond June 9, 2009. Without the Dodge franchise we can no longer sell a new Dodge as "new," nor will we be able to do any warranty service work. Additionally, my Dodge parts inventory, (approximately $300,000.) is virtually worthless without the ability to perform warranty service. There is no offer from Chrysler to buy back the vehicles or parts inventory.

Our facility was recently totally renovated at Chrysler's insistence, incurring a multi-million dollar debt in the form of a mortgage at Sun Trust Bank.

HOW IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA CAN THIS HAPPEN?

THIS IS A PRIVATE BUSINESS NOT A GOVERNMENT ENTITY

This is beyond imagination! My business is being stolen from me through NO FAULT OF OUR OWN. We did NOTHING wrong.

This atrocity will most likely force my family into bankruptcy. This will also cause our 50+ employees to be unemployed. How will they provide for their families? This is a total economic disaster.

HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN IN A FREE MARKET ECONOMY IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ?

I beseech your help, and look forward to your reply. Thank you.

Sincerely,

George C. Joseph

President & Owner

Sunshine Dodge-Isuzu

18. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

There are always going to be whiners...

Don't like the price - don't buy... problem solved... :thumbup:

19. pdxjohann

pdxjohann Portland near Tigard Member

It seems to me that comments of a good deal are sometimes posted as a reply to a sellers item. However, rarely are comments of a bad deal posted. What gives? Is this strickly caveat emptor? How about; forum club tips of rip off sellers?

(What the heck were we talking about in the first place anywayz? )

20. Nightshade

Nightshade vancouver,WA Well-Known Member

What what was that lol. good deals are posted as good transaction ratings rarely do bad comments get posted IMO if you really get screwed you need to tell somebody, but we do not see a lot of that on here. mainly cause we have good guys here. this isn't the high road, were just everyday folk here And i think most of us are honest.