JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
mirror, slope/declination indicator, magnetic deviation adjust, scales marked on
base plate corresponding to the maps I use most often. having blathered all
that, my current is the.....Silva Ranger. :) lightweight, slim, well made, does
what I need it to do for my alpine/glacier travels.

Depends on your level of expertise and need for accuracy. I use a little $12 Brunton to start me walking in the right direction when I'm using GPS to navigate. When I have to find something small {like an old mine opening or quarter corner} using a topo map, I grab my Brunton Pocket Transit {current msrp $490}.

Liquid is good but when buying a cheapo I make sure the declination can be adjusted on the unit so I don't have to remember it every time I look at the map.

Agree - the Silva Ranger is a good standard to go by. Something that has adjustable declination, a base plate w/ various scales, a lanyard, and a sighting mirror are all features that I'd look for.

Although, be warned - it looks like the Silva Ranger being sold by REI isn't the same as the old model. Brunton 15TDCL may be what you really want. Suunto MC-2G might be another option.

Silva Ranger or the equivalent is good enough for ordinary woods use getting from here to there. You will want something better for surveying or for work requiring a degree of precision.

Do not trust the electronic compasses that come on your handheld GPS or smart phone. They are simply too finicky and require too-frequent calibration and mickey-mousing around with. Stick with a liquid filled case, magnetic needle and adjustable declination.

Must have! Get one that can reset for declination! Or, you will be way off when reading a topo map! A good compass with declinaton adjustment could have been purchased for $20 several years ago. But those with more features were about $40.00. Good luck.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top