Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

compass

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ohsocountry1, Aug 18, 2010.

1. ohsocountry1

ohsocountry1 clackamas oregon Member

what makes a good compass? obiviously one that points the right direction haha:thumbup: but other then that does liquid filled make a difference is that good? what compass's do all of you use?

2. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

Brunton 15TDCL or Silva Ranger are both really well liked compasses.

3. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

The fluid makes a big differece. It dampens needle movement giving you quicker reading.
    Also no matter what you use. Use it a lot.

4. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

I have a Silva Ranger and really like it. I use it for SAR and trust it completely.

5. waltermitty

waltermitty seattle Active Member

mirror, slope/declination indicator, magnetic deviation adjust, scales marked on
    base plate corresponding to the maps I use most often. having blathered all
    that, my current is the.....Silva Ranger. :) lightweight, slim, well made, does
    what I need it to do for my alpine/glacier travels.

6. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

+1 for the Silva:thumbup:

7. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

Depends on your level of expertise and need for accuracy. I use a little $12 Brunton to start me walking in the right direction when I'm using GPS to navigate. When I have to find something small {like an old mine opening or quarter corner} using a topo map, I grab my Brunton Pocket Transit {current msrp $490}.

Liquid is good but when buying a cheapo I make sure the declination can be adjusted on the unit so I don't have to remember it every time I look at the map.

8. ohsocountry1

ohsocountry1 clackamas oregon Member

thanks everybody for your help it is just being thrown in a shtf bag

9. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Agree - the Silva Ranger is a good standard to go by. Something that has adjustable declination, a base plate w/ various scales, a lanyard, and a sighting mirror are all features that I'd look for.

Although, be warned - it looks like the Silva Ranger being sold by REI isn't the same as the old model. Brunton 15TDCL may be what you really want. Suunto MC-2G might be another option.

10. zeezee

zeezee nowheresville Member

Ditto. :thumbup:

11. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Silva Ranger or the equivalent is good enough for ordinary woods use getting from here to there. You will want something better for surveying or for work requiring a degree of precision.

Do not trust the electronic compasses that come on your handheld GPS or smart phone. They are simply too finicky and require too-frequent calibration and mickey-mousing around with. Stick with a liquid filled case, magnetic needle and adjustable declination.

12. Dan-Dee Sales Inc

Dan-Dee Sales Inc Sweet Home, Oregon, United States Active Member

Brunton 9020G. Cheap and easy. Has an adjustable declination which is important in this area.

Brunton 9020G

13. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Must have! Get one that can reset for declination! Or, you will be way off when reading a topo map! A good compass with declinaton adjustment could have been purchased for $20 several years ago. But those with more features were about $40.00. Good luck.