JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I work for a company that they decided to close down due to smoke and being in stage 2 evacuation area. I have a question that I'm not getting an answer from my company about. Since I was willing to work but they closed down do I have to use my PTO or do they pay cuz they made the call.....or just take it unpaid. Just wondering. Thanks

I am "guessing" the place to ask would be the WA Unemployment people. Assuming you can get someone there to answer the phone. I have to "again guess" this would be like a furlough so many Co's gave out during the great hoax. So if you have paid time off coming and want to use it? Guess you could but, again a guess, I would think UE would pay out since you lost the job through no fault of your own. The one big downside is health insurance. If you take UE you may have to COBRA to keep and it can be EXPENSIVE. Place I work had to Furlough a lot of people for a while but they did pay the medical insurance for those they let go for a while which was VERY nice but of course many are not going to do this. Hopefully it will be a short time till you can go back.

Do you have a company policy manual? Where I work, they have a plant closure policy that covers exactly this sort of thing: temporary closures due to natural disasters and such. We get paid regular wages, but I assume that would vary according to company policy.

Very much depends on your contract, union or otherwise. If it is not agreed in a contract, they owe you nothing, but they may be nice guys and pay you anyway.

Otherwise, put in for unemployment. You may not be off long enough to get any benefits, but it can get your foot in the door if there are subsequent layoffs.

My company did not shut down. I was walking through our plant yesterday and you could see the smoke in the air. It was bad.

But on a more puzzling note, WSU actually canceled ONLINE classes due to smoke. That had me scratching my head... :s0153:

My company did not shut down. I was walking through our plant yesterday and you could see the smoke in the air. It was bad.

But on a more puzzling note, WSU actually canceled ONLINE classes due to smoke. That had me scratching my head... :s0153:

That must be one of those things where you have to have some kind of advanced degree to understand the logic:confused:

That must be one of those things where you have to have some kind of advanced degree to understand the logic:confused:
Actually, if WSU closed actual facilities due to smoke - i.e., people told not to come into work, then the IT people essential to Online Class operation would not be working. Help desk staff, server staff, etc., would not be at work. When you've got thousands of people accessing online classes at any moment, there are hundreds of help calls / chat requests in an hour. Less hassle to cancel online class access than to leave a couple of thousand students without help.

My company only shut down for the week. I am told I am working Monday but just wondering if the state had any rules about them having to pay cuz they shut down vs me calling in to not work. So lucky I still have a job but pretty much canceled my elk hunting trip to cover for the fire.

With the way 2020 is going I need some normal in my life like hunting this fall.....so I'm just asking cuz I dont want to pull my PTO just for days off I didn't even want.

Actually, if WSU closed actual facilities due to smoke - i.e., people told not to come into work, then the IT people essential to Online Class operation would not be working. Help desk staff, server staff, etc., would not be at work. When you've got thousands of people accessing online classes at any moment, there are hundreds of help calls / chat requests in an hour. Less hassle to cancel online class access than to leave a couple of thousand students without help.
You must have an advanced degree...

OK, had not thought of that but it would make total sense then!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top