JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got tired of the weapon cleaning crap I carry around and decided to put together a couple of compact cleaning kits. Got a couple of items shipping to test, those being an Otis 4" round case and a 8" Otis Memory Flex Cable with T handle setup. So far the list of essentials I'm thinking of including in each kit is:

Otis 4" round case
Otis 8" Memory Flex Cable and T Handle setup (to be able to use a chamber brush in an AR)
.223 and .308 Bore Snakes with quite a bit of tail cut off to make them more compact
OR a rifle length Otis Memory Flex Cable with bore brushes and patches
Small bottle Slip2000 EWL
Small container of Mobil 28
Small rag
Q-Tips
.223 and .308 chamber brushes
Cleaning brush, cut in half to fit case
Allen wrench to fit every fastener on the weapon

Anyone have any ideas for other essential stuff to include in a compact SHTF type cleaning kit?

Edit: Meant "chamber brush" in a couple of spots.

Last Edited:
Got tired of the weapon cleaning crap I carry around and decided to put together a couple of compact cleaning kits. Got a couple of items shipping to test, those being an Otis 4" round case and a 8" Otis Memory Flex Cable with T handle setup. So far the list of essentials I'm thinking of including in each kit is:

Otis 4" round case
Otis 8" Memory Flex Cable and T Handle setup (to be able to use a bore brush in an AR)
.223 and .308 Bore Snakes with quite a bit of tail cut off to make them more compact
OR a rifle length Otis Memory Flex Cable with bore brushes and patches
Small bottle Slip2000 EWL
Small container of Mobil 28
Small rag
Q-Tips
.223 and .308 bore brushes
Cleaning brush, cut in half to fit case
Allen wrench to fit every fastener on the weapon

Anyone have any ideas for other essential stuff to include in a compact SHTF type cleaning kit?

If your SHTF PDW is an AR, get yourself a complete USGI cleaning kit with a small bottle of CLP, small rag, and 1" patches. I notice that your listed contents above lacks the chamber brush (that also scours the locking lugs) and is used with a cleaning rod (not a cable/string).

The USGI cleaning kit isn't large or heavy, it's simple, it's durable, it's versatile, it has EVERYTHING you'll need for proper field cleaning, AND it has a DECADES long pedigree on countless battlefields and training ranges.

Admittedly it will NOT fit in your front shirt or pants pocket, but really? :rolleyes:

Class dismissed, carry on. o_O

:D

Long cleaning rod sections is the main thing I dislike about my current bag of cleaning stuff. I really like bore snakes so small and round is what I'm after in form factor.

Also if you have any sort of glass on your rifle a small lens cleaning rag that is stowed away within a buttstock or grip is a good idea.

Shirt smudging expensive glass is a recipe for a bad investment.

Heck there's a few good things to store in a rifle: paracord, lighter, lens rag, space blanket, Allen wrench, and gas block adjusting tool.

IMG_4467.JPG IMG_4468.JPG IMG_4470.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads