JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What do you like about your compact 9 mm? I am looking for a compact not sub-compact or pocket gun. I like Sigs, Walthers, Berettas, M&P, HK i.e. the better, albeit, more expensive pistols.

Please give me your experience and not your recommendations. I would especially like to hear from Sig p224 owner regarding shootability and concealability. I absolutely love my p229 SAS.

I have the Springfield XDm compact in 9mm. I have large hands and found it a tad difficult to accurately shoot with the standard 10-round magazine (ie., no where for the pinkie to grip). I have no complaints about the quality of the gun though. The build quality is typical of any Springfield XDm pistol.

It has sat in the safe since I got the XD-S in .45 ACP. I will probably get the XD-S in 9mm for wifey once it is released in June, and sell the XDm.

Peter

My chosen compact 9 is a S&W 3913. It has an 8 round single stack magazine. While not a lot of rounds to spray and pray, it is slim enough for easy carry. I like S&W quality and customer service. I have never been disappointed. The alloy frame I personally prefer to the plastic frame. While I found the Glock 9mm to be slightly more accurate at 10 and 25 yards, it was hardly significant to me in a personal defense pistol. I gave the Glock to my father and kept the 3913.

After all my experience with various compacts, sub compacts and pocket guns, I have found only one truth...... it is 100% subjective! You have to play around with them, shoot them and if possible live with them for a while to make that choice, and even then, it is 100% personal to you and does not necessarily apply to others. I have tried various platforms, PX4, Kahr, Taurus, Sig, etc... and all have their little niche markets / uses. However, after being hung up on concealment for so long i simply decided i wanted the 'best weapon for the job' and invariably it is a hand gun that fits your hand well, you can wear and is relatively concealable. I made the choice that if i were going to wear and carry everyday, then i was going to do it with something i was confident shooting and comfortable weilding.

The PX4 compact is a good compromise and was my last gun, however, it is a little chunky and top heavy so not always comfortable to handle or wear, my latest tipple is the CZ P07 Duty and i love it, a nice blend of capacity, form / ergonomics and comfortability shooting / wielding. But as i alluded to earlier, that is what works for me.... it may or may not work for you. Good luck!

I agree with the above about it being all subjective.

I HATE compact guns as they are not that much smaller then the full size guns but have all the downsides like less grip, more recoil, shorter sight radius, ect.

My normal carry gun is a M&P 9c, yes 9c is a compact. The guy at the gun store was trying to hand me this gun one day I saw it was a compact so I told him "I don't like compacts". Anyhow I put it in my hand, felt it a bit. Gun comes right up to point of aim and feels great in my hand. Well I walked out the door with it and that was over 3 years ago.

Ruger isn't normally considered high end, but the SR9c is an excellent gun. Fit, finish, appearance, feel, and accuracy are what you would expect from a much more expensive gun. There is also the option of a 17 round magazine. It's striker fired ,and has a double recoil spring to reduce felt recoil. It's worth checking out, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ruger isn't normally considered high end, but the SR9c is an excellent gun. Fit, finish, appearance, feel, and accuracy are what you would expect from a much more expensive gun. There is also the option of a 17 round magazine. It's striker fired ,and has a double recoil spring to reduce felt recoil. It's worth checking out, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I agree. I have been carrying an SR9c everyday for almost a year. It is a great gun at a great price. Good luck with your search.

I like the Glock 19 or the 23. If you want to go smaller, I have a Kahr PM9 that is great. It is a bit smaller than what you are looking for, but it has become a gun a I carry a lot because of the size/weight and the fact that I can slip it in a pocket. It really is subjective though. Find someone that has some of the guns you are looking at and shoot them. That's the best way to find what is best for you.

I enjoyed my G19 because it was small enough to carry and big enough to fight with. It had great capacity and it was always nice to know I could go as high as 33 rounds with one factory mag.

I've had my Ruger SR9c for a couple of years now. It is my regular EDC. Excellent shooter. Light and accurate. Probably the best trigger you will find on any kind of 9mm. As mentioned earlier here, the gun comes with a 10 round mag and a 17 round mag. I use the 10 rounder for EDC and the 17 for backup.

Good luck finding one these days. Ruger is currently about a year behind in production.

I also like the Glock 19. Excellent firepower, big enough to be able to fire accurately, light enough to carry, even with 15 rounds in the magazine. Mine is an old Gen 1, but it is 100% reliable with factory ammo and JHP handloads. I just don't like the super small pistols, probably due to my larger hands. My son has one of the new compact Springfield Armory .45's. I don't know if I could live with the 5 round magazine. If I want to go with a 5 shooter, my SP-101 .357 Mag is a viable option, though the XD-S is pretty accurate and faster to reload. I guess I should wring his out a little more. I do kind of like the idea of that .45 cal. slug.

CZ P-01 is my favorite compact 9. Excellent ergo (for small to mid sized hands), looks great, accurate, eats everything you feed it. For an all-metal pistol, it's very well priced. Get one, if you can find one.

A Glock 19 is the optimal size & weight vs. firepower & controllability, a 26 gains to the former at sacrifice of the latter.

My Glock 26 with the +2 magazine extension fits my hand perfectly and gives me 12+1 rounds in a much more concealable package than the 19. It also accepts Glock 17 or 19 mags. You can make the small gun bigger a lot easier than you can make the big gun smaller.

M&p 9c is what I chose. With the pinky entention it fits perfect in my large hands. Mine left the factory in feb of 13 so it has the newer trigger that's smooth as butter and has a trigger reset. I have not shot it yet but I have shot the shield in 9mm which has the same trigger and was amazed how easy the recoil was. The 9c is a little heavier so I'm expecting even less recoil. Taking it out this weekend ill let you know.

I like the G19, but after carrying it AIWB, I realized i didn't like doing a day of physical labor with a G19 stufed down my crotch. The G26 is better, and I shoot it better, but after a couple of years I realized it too is a PITA when digging and lifting and sawing etc. Now I carry it strong side in a Raven Phantom.
Still, I train for the fight that blows up in your face before you have any warning, involving hands on, so carrying AIWB is important to me. I've been carrying a CM9, a Shield, or a Snubby alot more lately.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top