JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Or customize a quality 1911. I bought a Springfield Loaded 1911 and had all of the internals (except barrel and bushing, plunger tube, and beavertail safety) professionally replaced and tuned with Ed Brown parts. It is a fantastic gun, although I'm going to be selling it since it just sits and never gets shot.

Not only are they concealable, the late '80's Colt Officer ACP a colleague of mine has runs 100% and is more accurate than I am.

We can't say the same about a Kimber compact he has, which prompted the Officer's model purchase. If you like the Combat Commander, the Officer model is more.

I had a Seattle Detonics Mark VI that the Officer's reminds me of. If I could have either, I'd choose the Colt. Neither one are what most people would describe as "fun to shoot" however it's not meant to be a 400 round per day target piece. It's not noticeably worse than running +P loads through the S&W 638 J frame I carry.

There are really a lot of interesting and informed opinions here! But I don't understand how someone posting on a gun forum can refer to a Glock as "DAO." If you don't grasp that a Glock is already 95% cocked when a round is chambered, then you simply don't get what DAO means.

To me, thickness is #1 in a CCW, and weight is #2. If you feel like capacity is so important that an extra mag doesn't make you feel happy, then go ahead and mate a G30 frame to a G36 slide. Me, I've been carrying a G36 daily for 6 years now and never felt like 6+1 wasn't enough. Why is 10+1 enough? Isn't a G21 better at 13+1?

You're going to spend your whole life carrying the thing and in all likelihood will never fire more than one round in anger. Comfort is your daily concern, not capacity. Get the gun that fits your hand, which you can shoot comfortably and accurately. If the XDs does it for you, go for it. For me, I need a G36 with the Pearce +0 base plate to get a full grip. It fits me, so it's my CCW.

There are really a lot of interesting and informed opinions here! But I don't understand how someone posting on a gun forum can refer to a Glock as "DAO." If you don't grasp that a Glock is already 95% cocked when a round is chambered, then you simply don't get what DAO means.

I know what your saying.
But Striker Fired Pistols are on the DOA class because the trigger is still cocking and firing the pistol.
Even if it is 5% it still counts.

The compact 1911s are too expensive and a pain to carry. Buy a compact plastic pistol. Last week I shot a S@W shield in 40S@W and a XDs in 45acp. The XDs is not impressive at all "I own 3 regular XD and like them. The S@W was really a nice accurate and easy to shoot accurately for a compact and I was impressed.

I carry a "War Trophy " USGI WW2 Mixmaster (Colt Slide/Ithaca Frame) 1911A1 and love the slimness, I am considering a Glock 30S as a Modern CCW pistol option so I can retire the 1911 back into "Collection Status" but after a year of carrying the 1911 I'm torn . The 1911 can be carried SOB and I can drive long distances, comfortably, wear shorts & t shirt & not print, and as my first carry weapon I am starting to not struggle with the safety and feel comfortable . would the Glock 30S be too thick for SOB and would I have to consider other factors in such a transition ?

I have two XD-S, One ,45 and one 9mm, both 3.3 barrels. The XD-S can now be had in BOTH calibers with a 4.0 inch barrel and should potentially be more accurate and softer shooting. I prefer the shorter barrel for pocket carry. I do have a Crossbreed holster that would accommodate either caliber, and either barrel length. I have holsters from Galco, Blade-Tech, and RKBA for the shorter barrels and while all work well, I prefer the RKBA as it positions to gun more consistently and does not print "Gun". You can see it, just not what it is.

XD-S 4,0 inch .45

I was and still am for that matter considering carrying a Commander sized Para 1911, but mine had teething pains and is back in Carolina to be debugged.

I recently picked up a used Taurus 745 at my LGS for $275 . Figured I couldn't go wrong, and 150 rounds later , I have new respect for Taurus. I prefer it to my Glock 36 ( Glock has stock trigger) and the price was right. The 745 carries in the same holsters as my P-6 and CZ-75 Compact, so there's no extra holster expense. For SD I like the predictably long DA trigger.

I've tried a 3"1911 and a dw cco, ended up settling on an XDS 3.3 in .45. The plastic means low maintenance and that's important especially in the summer. I tend to sweat a bit. I like the single stack thinness. I carry a full size 1911 when I'm not carrying the xds. I use the same mag pouches for both platforms.

Another vote for a M&P 45c here. If you use the magazine with the flat base and pair it up with a holster like a PJ holster it'll conceal just as good as a Glock 19 sized gun. I carry both BTW and they're just about identical.

I've been shooting/carrying a Glock 30 & 26 for years. Bought the cheapest Taurus 1911 (PT 1911) about a year ago for a change. I liked the 1911 platform, so bought a Kimber UCC.

LOVE that gun, but like the capacity and simplicity and accuracy and reliability of the Glocks.

I woke up at night in a sweat thinking: Glock or Kimber?...... Glock or Kimber? ...........Glock or Kimber? .........Glock or Kimber?

Then I realized I have a choice..... Glock AND Kimber!!!

They both are great guns.

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I think Kimber ceased manufacturing 1911s with the external extractor in about 2007. You don't see many of them for sale on Gunbroker .com.

But for my preferences on a 1911 (incl. front strap stippling and a good trigger break), I haven't seen a $950 1911 that I like, except for Kimber. But if you want to spend $1500, then a Dan Wesson might be a good choice.
Both my Kimbers started at about $1500 and then I added accessories like the CT laser on one so it's up around $2000 now and it's my EDC.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top