JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Certainly understand the comments above. But I'm guessing if the guy is undecided and asking then he's not a 1911 expert. The carry issue has to do with cocked-and-locked carry, and dealing with dropping the safety after drawing. I used to carry a 1911, but I personally think that modern SA/DA and striker-fired weapons have an advantage in safe carry, especially for people less experienced in a particular way of operating a handgun.
I don't agree with that, but we're all entitled to our opinions.
I was teaching my wife how to deal with her Grandpa's 1908 Colt years ago. She's not really a "gun person" and it didn't take me too long to figure out that she would be better off with a revolver, for many of the same reasons the world seems to love DAO and striker fired pistols so much. (A double action revolver is the most simple, straight forward gun to operate.) Now that she's been carrying and shooting pistols more, she carries a little Taurus TCP 380 instead of her S&W. However, if she is going away for an overnight stay, she takes her own 1911 as the "house" pistol. She is much more capable and confident with the 1911 platform now than she used to be.

Also, if you carried a 1911, you wouldn't be griping about the trigger. :D

I'm just curious, since I see Kimber recommended quite a bit. How many people recommending Kimber actually own them? Not trying to start a flame war, just curious if people are recommending on experience or what they've heard.

I don't gripe about the trigger on a lot of my guns. Unfortunately none of them are as small or light as my XDs-9 4.0
I kind of backed into a deal on a Shield 40 last Dec. Since then I've had the chance to shoot a couple of XDS 45s. The 45 ACP is one of my most preferred cartridges, but I found nothing except for consolidating calibers that I liked better about the XD. The trigger on the Shield is a bunch better...
No doubt the XD is a very good gun, but just not my flavor. Lucky for me I found this out before buying one.
Now if I can find a holster that makes it as comfortable to carry as a 1911 I'd be very happy. Hate having to buy a holster just to find it doesn't fit me well.

I'd also add that many people are attracted to the Kimbers because they look nice, which they do. But pretty may only be skin deep. I'm not the one with personal, in depth experience with the mechanicals of the different 1911s to make the judgement, but folks that do don't rate the Kimber high on the list of guns to trust your life to. Taking that advice, I believe there are better guns for the money.

<Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel! Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

My EDC is a 4 inch Kimber in a Crossbreed holster. Has been for quite a while. Conceals easily under an untucked tee shirt. They don't have to be tiny to be concealable.
Both my Kimbers are 3" barrel. Both have night sights and CT lasers on them. One holds 8+1 and the other 7+1. I carry the 8+1 all the time, the slightly smaller one is now a safe queen.
I have a Crossbreed holster and an Alien Wear for them. Don't find much difference between the holsters as far as carry goes.

On edit: after I wrote this I went back to the CrossBreed holster and the Alien Wear is in the safe now. The CrossBreed is more comfortable and easier to draw from.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

Last Edited:
<Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel! Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I'm just curious, since I see Kimber recommended quite a bit. How many people recommending Kimber actually own them? Not trying to start a flame war, just curious if people are recommending on experience or what they've heard.

Yes, I do and they re easy to shoot and very accurate. Even my stock broker (also NRA instructor) and his wife were impressed!

Deen
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I have a taurus millennium pro 45 put a lot of round through it so far and and work like a charm holds ten in the clip and one in the pipe great little gun for an in the waist band gun had mine for over 5 years now. View attachment 83106

I have two of them, used to have three. One has a laser on it. Just couldn't get used to the trigger so I now carry one of my Kimbers.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

I have carried a Star PD in 45 for about 20+ years. It was one of the first compact lightweight 45's on market. Shoots very well and easy to carry. Kind of hard to find these days, but a great gun though. Also, this is my first post here. Hello everyone.

I have a taurus millennium pro 45 put a lot of round through it so far and and work like a charm holds ten in the clip and one in the pipe great little gun for an in the waist band gun had mine for over 5 years now. View attachment 83106
-
I am with you on this one . for budget CC on .45 the pro45 is good . Love mine and it is 100% reliable with never a Mal. .. but I shot the crap out it to really trust it also .
the weak point of the pistol is the factory magazines , just got to go threw the Mags with a good eye and many rounds to trust them & find the reliable ones . I Never liked the cheep factory followers in those Mags.
-

Seems like a lot of other people hate kimbers, and I wonder how many have owned them instead of just parroting the "MIMber" phrase from the Errornet. Someone on this site a while back had mentioned that a lot of different gun manufacturers use MIM parts.

I've CC'd a kimber 4" w/ officer frame now and then, and owned several others (and owned/shot other brand 1911s). A Kimber 4" barrel with compact frame is a great CC set-up. All the Kimbers I've shot have functioned perfectly, even when experimenting with different guide rods and weight springs (as long as you have good Tripp Cobra or Wilson mags). I even had an older Tactical Custom II with the dreaded external extractor. Never had a single FTF or FTE. It shot trouble-free with all FMJs, as well as with Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. +p and 200 gr. Hornady XTP +p. It was also the most accurate semi-auto pistol I'd ever shot.

I like Kimber, too, because the upper end models (as well as the Tactical line) have match grade triggers and barrels (and a very good trigger break), and front strap stippling. Nothing against Colt or a Springfield LW Operator, but if I'm going to pay a $1K or more for a 1911, I'd like it to have front-strap stippling for better grip. A $15 rubber wraparound grip or piece of skateboard tape isn't going to cut it.

Ultimately I've decided that for CC and in the woods carry, I prefer pistols with an external hammer. When I reholster a chamber-loaded DA/SA at the 4-5 o'clock position, I put my thumb on the hammer to double-check whether the trigger is starting to catch on on anything such as a backpack or holster strap, or other piece of gear. Even though they're all great guns, I can't do that with a Glock, M&P, or XDm.

Seems like a lot of other people hate kimbers, and I wonder how many have owned them instead of just parroting the "MIMber" phrase from the Errornet. Someone on this site a while back had mentioned that a lot of different gun manufacturers use MIM parts.

My experience is very personal, and while it's not a 1911, it's a rifle that cost more than the 1911s they sell.
After dealing with their "customer service" in an extremely detailed way, (phone call, pics, detailed description in a letter) basically wasting my money (shipping, gun case for shipping) and time, only to get the gun back with their attention focused on the aesthetics, not the function, I sold an expensive rifle at quite a loss.
I've dealt once each with Ruger, S&W and Para. Each time the gun was shipped on their nickle both ways and came back repaired. Heck, the Ruger was a gun I bought used but Ruger sent a box and shipping label for me! Like I said before, Kimbers are pretty. My experience with them shows they worry more about how it looks than how it works.
Hate is definitely too strong of a word, but I'll never buy another.

I bought a Kimber and sold it a few months later. It was somewhat of an impulse purchase, but after running it a while I didn't like a few things about it, especially the external extractor function and overall fit and finish of internal parts (especially for the price). I just think there are much better 1911-platform firearms out there, but I'm sure there are a lot of other opinions.

I think Kimber ceased manufacturing 1911s with the external extractor in about 2007. You don't see many of them for sale on Gunbroker .com.

But for my preferences on a 1911 (incl. front strap stippling and a good trigger break), I haven't seen a $950 1911 that I like, except for Kimber. But if you want to spend $1500, then a Dan Wesson might be a good choice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top