JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Joe,

I'm assuming that the "reporter" is only anonymous to the general public and not to the Mods?

If so, that will correct thread reporting abuse fairly swiftly as a Mod will get pretty tired of somebody reporting legitimate threads as bad over and over again (I know I sure would). That person can be dealt with using the "be excellent to each other" rule as that kind of behavior is not at all excellent.

Joe,

I'm assuming that the "reporter" is only anonymous to the general public and not to the Mods?

If so, that will correct thread reporting abuse fairly swiftly as a Mod will get pretty tired of somebody reporting legitimate threads as bad over and over again (I know I sure would). That person can be dealt with using the "be excellent to each other" rule as that kind of behavior is not at all excellent.

Exactly :)

Hi Joe that eases my mind a bit, I had pictures people doing like they can on Facebook or like that mental health bill and could do it unknown. Thats helps the mod see if there is a pattern with reporters to thanks for clarifying that ( whew ;) ) see I knew it was something I didnt know about in the process. Yes having that on both sides makes abuse harder.
Gees Joe , why don't you tell us all the sites secrets so we don't worry LOLOL.

just about anything can be misused, the good part about this is it falls back on a person doing the right thing... Joe Link. If someone is abusing the system then they can block that someone from using the report feature or just block them entirely. No set of rules can determine such actions on their own (as we know from gun control laws...). I think Joe is on the right track here. I'm not worried about antis lurking here especially in a non-toxic environment they wont have anything to use against us we are all law abiding and preach safety. That will be a positive thing for newcomers to guns who are opposite politically, they will see the discussion and might observe why so many things politically don't make sense for more gun control.

along with be excellent to each other my motto is do the right thing. If someone reports me, Joe will know the truth.

( I wanted so bad to report this post, but not sure the humor would be seen hehe )

These are all good and valid concerns, but I wouldn't worry until it actually happens. As @Koda mentioned, everything is checked by an actual person rather than an automated system, so the potential for abuse should be quite low.

I would think that a note from Joe or the moderator that restored it which stated that it had been reported and found within the guidelines would cut circular reporting short for the most part.

elsie

as a community we need to be careful how we treat the newbies as well. Sure someone could be trolling but they may also just not know. If a new person to the site immediately gets a reported post that's going to scare them away just as fast as calling them a troll. Best to give everyone at least a chance especially around legal issues. Even the OSP does not know how the state laws work.

as a community we need to be careful how we treat the newbies as well. Sure someone could be trolling but they may also just not know. If a new person to the site immediately gets a reported post that's going to scare them away just as fast as calling them a troll. Best to give everyone at least a chance especially around legal issues. Even the OSP does not know how the state laws work.

Very good point!

You make a very good point, when I first joined up for the most part I was met with great people and then there was about 5 that for what ever reason went after my responses. I actually do know the laws well very well. Also took awhile before I could have an opinion about the NRA and OFF whom I am not a huge fan of specifically OFF and took hits for it even and having independent thought. although I brought valid points that to this day have never been rebutted.

I don't mind the new report system, as mentioned but I for one just last year was in the other end of this and as well and have concerns newbies will be treated with contempt if they do not comply to the current status-quo. Have hope it will work but I can see I would have been reported quickly in this new system and that would have told me to leave and not bother. Luckily now I am good friends with most of those original 5, but have seen some newbie take hits hard too since. I am pro-constitutional rights, period with all the privileges that come with having them. I respect a person to enjoy those rights and only ask in return I am allowed unmolested to enjoy mine. I still like the new rule #1 and as much as it seems light and humorous in reality success of the site depends on it. Of course now I can't get the voices of bill and ted out of my head :)

You make a very good point, when I first joined up for the most part I was met with great people and then there was about 5 that for what ever reason went after my responses. I actually do know the laws well very well. Also took awhile before I could have an opinion about the NRA and OFF whom I am not a huge fan of specifically OFF and took hits for it even and having independent thought. although I brought valid points that to this day have never been rebutted.

I don't mind the new report system, as mentioned but I for one just last year was in the other end of this and as well and have concerns newbies will be treated with contempt if they do not comply to the current status-quo. Have hope it will work but I can see I would have been reported quickly in this new system and that would have told me to leave and not bother. Luckily now I am good friends with most of those original 5, but have seen some newbie take hits hard too since. I am pro-constitutional rights, period with all the privileges that come with having them. I respect a person to enjoy those rights and only ask in return I am allowed unmolested to enjoy mine. I still like the new rule #1 and as much as it seems light and humorous in reality success of the site depends on it. Of course now I can't get the voices of bill and ted out of my head :)

Thanks for the feedback, good points there. The fact that mods will look at the reports and follow up will prevent this. If people are ganging up on a new person or being rude, them reporting the new person in attempts to bully him/her, the moderators would definitely see that when they review the report(s) :)

Nobody can accuse Joe of being the "missing link" around here.... fo' sho'!
:D

Gees groaner alert Stomper..............
smack-on-head.jpg

Is there any way a minimum post count, say 100, be set up before someone can report the post and put it in purgatory? That would help to prevent the outside troll machine from derailing threads and also allow new members time to acclimatize a bit before exercising that power.

Is there any way a minimum post count, say 100, be set up before someone can report the post and put it in purgatory? That would help to prevent the outside troll machine from derailing threads and also allow new members time to acclimatize a bit before exercising that power.
Good idea .....;)

I believe that feature is planned for the future. For now we'll just keep an eye on who's doing what. It'll be pretty obvious if people are making illegitimate reports :)

I'm not trying to be a dick, but.. Joe, your goals for this forum are not necessarily my reasons for being a member. I'm here to discuss gun issues in the NW, hear members gun reviews, complaints, jokes, rants, etc. I'm not here as a PR spokesman for all things guns. I try to be a nice guy in real life and on this forum but I do not participate here to market gun ownership. This is your forum, and you make the rules but this is just a forum and not a marketing plan to convince the anti-gun crowd that guns aren't scary.
Amen!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads