JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ham radio is probably best option assuming no Internet. Lots of repeaters around the Puget Sound area. I like listening to them during minor events like flooding or snow storms.

No ham license yet.
CB in the truck though.
Tacoma area: head for the "warehouse store" over by the "other big shopping place"
(I think talking about taking over buildings someone else owns could be bad?)
My group will be heading there, after 'stocking up" at a few other places.

I figure that when the comm grid goes down, there will be 50 billion old CB radios dredged out of closets and put on the air.

I'm set up for SSB on 11 meters, but my license expired years ago, so I'm not active now.

Pops

I really like my Icom IC-V8, HT(handheld transceiver), it was under 150$ and is a very rugged 2-meter hand held radio. I hear the newer versions of this radio are even better.

I have a handheld Yaesu FT-60 that's been pretty good. Icom also makes good stuff. I think a handheld radio is a good first step. I found it helpful to download the manuals for the radios I was looking at to see how logical their menu system was and how easy they were to operate. If you want extra range, an external antenna will be useful.

Not to knock the CB suggestion, but Ham typically has greater range and many Emergency Operations Centers (EOCs) use Ham to communicate with. This fact lets you listen to what's really going on at the EOC - could be useful depending on the situation.

I also think that FRS/GMRS radios can play a role for your family and friends. However, the range on these radios is often less than you'd like.

Thanks for the ideas. Looks like getting a tech license would be a good start. Any suggestions on a pretty good starter rig?

There are SO many good radios out there. You can't really go wrong with any from the "big 3" Yaesu, Icom, kenwood. I have a ICOM 208h as my mobile rig and a Yaesu VX-7R for an HT.

Just figure out what you want first, base, mobile, handheld. Then figure what bands you want to operate on. 2m only? 2m/440? 6m? Lots of options. But a good dual band (2m/440) HT or mobile is a great place to start.

I'm running a Kenwood TH-F6a handheld and a couple of mobile Kenwood rigs, although I want to get a new mobile rig soon.

156415994_t6tAD-L.jpg

156420502_hVPuz-XL-1.jpg
That's weird. I have no idea how that image got flipped. *shruggs*
-Mark.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class