JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Decided to start putting together a communications bag to keep in the wife's car.

Initially just was going to throw in an extra handheld radio in case normal communications were to go down while she's out alone. (She's not a HAM, but license is not required for emergencies) Then started thinking I should be a little more complete.

Primary focus is geared toward communications, not as much toward shtf survival.

So what do you have? Think should be included?

For listening, a Countycomm Gp5 SSB is handy and isn't big enough to need its own bag. For talking, no idea.

I live in a place where cars are constantly broken into, so I prefer to keep essentials limited to a backpack that stays inside.

:s0137:
but license is not required for emergencies

Please define emergency.
Staying in touch with a loved one is not an emergency.
Having a ham radio without knowledge of it's operation is not an asset.
Having a gun without knowledge of how to use it may cause more problems than it solves.
Interfering with emergency communications is a violation of law.
If your intention is to make use of repeaters in an emergency situation you best know and understand protocols, using them is a privative not a rite.

The process of attaining ones license helps one to understand may be needed in an emergency.

Please define emergency.
Having a gun without knowledge of how to use it may cause more problems than it solves.
If your intention is to make use of repeaters in an emergency situation you best know and understand protocols, using them is a privative not a rite.

The process of attaining ones license helps one to understand may be needed in an emergency.
I gotta agree here...
The license is just proof of competency.
Using a radio without having any idea how it works, or the proper protocols is a huge detriment to the folks who do.

But! - If I throw a Baofeng at you and you can program that pig with or without a manual at one sitting - props.

Start out with a GMRS set up. You can get the family license online, no test required. Less protocols than ham, but professionalism is always appreciated on any of the airwaves.
It's also OK to buy a ham radio and monitor while you gear up for the test. It's helpful to listen to the local nets and others in the ham community communicate. That way when you're ready, you will already have an idea how things go.

As a licensed ham, I gently urge caution with the view that ham radios can be used by non-licensed persons during or for an emergency. Perhaps for an immediate life saving incident, but "emergency" can mean something different to each person.

In checking the FCC website I found this:
In my limited search I did not find an FCC exception for using ham radio without a license. There may be one.

A magnetic mount antenna will significantly improve the range of a radio. Using BNC connectors with the coax/antenna will prevent the antenna threads from being damaged when changing from the antenna on the radio to the coax for the magnetic mount antenna.

A battery eliminator will allow the radio to plug into the accessory port in a car, saving the radio's battery.

An adapter that uses AA or AAA batteries could be useful.

A longer antenna will usually improve the range of the radio. The Nagoya brand has good reviews. There are some "whip" style antennas can be folded or curved to take up less space.

As a licensed ham, I gently urge caution with the view that ham radios can be used by non-licensed persons during or for an emergency. Perhaps for an immediate life saving incident, but "emergency" can mean something different to each person.

In checking the FCC website I found this:
In my limited search I did not find an FCC exception for using ham radio without a license. There may be one.

There is an exception, albeit buried deep and open to loose interpretation. However I do remember seeing somewhere a more broad statement regarding that during an emergency, anyone can transmit for help on any frequency. I will find it and post it back here. I will fire off an email to the FCC for solid clarification. In the mean time:

§97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.
No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

ret-arrow-generic-grey.gif Back to Top
§97.405 Station in distress.
(a) No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station in distress of any means at its disposal to attract attention, make known its condition and location, and obtain assistance.

(b) No provision of these rules prevents the use by a station, in the exceptional circumstances described in paragraph (a) of this section, of any means of radiocommunications at its disposal to assist a station in distress.

I have no problem if anyone wants to buy a ham radio to monitor, as long as they realize that they can't transmit. If it's for the purpose of them obtaining their license, more power to them.

Please define emergency.

Fair, I suppose I shouldn't have made such a vague statement. My mistake as that wasn't really the point of my original post.

According to FCC 97.403

97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.
No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are not available.

Fair, I suppose I shouldn't have made such a vague statement. My mistake as that wasn't really the point of my original post.

According to FCC 97.403

97.403 Safety of life and protection of property.

(3)Amateur station
The term "amateur station" means a radio station operated by a duly authorized person interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

us code

(3)Amateur station
The term "amateur station" means a radio station operated by a duly authorized person interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

us code

According to eCFR from the same section's definitions of terms

(5) Amateur station. A station in an amateur radio service consisting of the apparatus necessary for carrying on radiocommunications.

Seems that the internet is full of information that isn't exactly consistent.

I don't really care all that much, Cornell could be correct or eCFR could be correct, or neither. I was only aware of this provision because in the class I took to get my license, the instructors reviewed and discussed it while going through the manual. It seemed logical to me, I didn't question it and still don't.

What would seem illogical to me, is to suggest that if somebody's life were in danger, and no other form of communication was available that one would not be allowed to legally call for help ... because they hadn't taken a class and passed a test.

All I have to say on this matter though, as I was just trying to get input on what others think/ recommend in an emergency communication pack.

Right now I have a few handheld radios.
  • Baofeng BF-F8HP
  • Extra extended life battery (as well as the standard battery)
  • Nagoya NA-771
  • USB charging station
  • Solar powered battery bank
  • Waterproof pouches
  • Bag to keep it all organized
I do like the idea of a magnetic antenna to include. I wasn't initially going to include a battery eliminator for cig lighter .. thinking the solar bank would be more useful but I'm rethinking this now.

I also have several AA battery packs, so I could throw one off those in a well I suppose

@Devneck on your setup... I am similar with a Baofeng BF-FH8P, a Nagoya NA-771 antenna, and an inexpensive roof antenna with a magnetic base.

The roof antenna provided a huge increase in performance, especially when positioned in the center of the roof so the antenna could get a good ground plane from the roof.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045EQUBK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought an external microphone for the Baofeng - makes it easier to use if driving.

Emergency comms and the baofeng and dirivitives....
1 is none and 2 is 1. Program them to your areas CERT/ARES/County EmComm freqs as well as source out local repeater networks in your locall. These will usually link up to systems along major highway/freeway corridors and take in multiple states and often get you to the other side of mountain ranges. Do your homework/research.
If you go with a lesser radio such as baofeng type, get a good antenna and an external mounted one for the car. out of the box rubber duck antenna from inside the car don't work so well.
Remember, 1is none and 2 is 1. these things are less than the cost of a brick of golden bullets (2019 prices). maybe you have more than 2! the uv5r can be had for 25 to 30 bucks. software to program is free(Chirp). keep a copy of the channel template in the kit(paper copy) as well, get a license...not much money and not that hard to do! learn your area and what is available to you as well as travel routes and areas you may go to. learn how "ham" works and what it takes to communicate. It is not really as easy as the good old CB days, but not to difficult either once you have a flavor for it. There are some programming steps one needs to be able to get onto some repeaters, and there are reasons for that. You will learn that as you go.

License or no license, if SHTF, laws will not matter.

But if your stuck in the snow, or get a flat tire in a bad neighborhood.

Suck it up and wait for AAA, or start hiking.

If your worried about basic safety buy a Sat phone or SPOT, some kind of emergency distress call.

Some licensed ham operators can screw it up even. Like the dudes who go on and on and the repeater does not have a time out. Basic knowledge of radio procedures helps out when trying to impart or receive information. Conservation of battery life is important.

I have heard people who talk on the radio all day long for work screw things up.

Radio is a perishable skill. Got a ham license a few years back with a buddy for a caravan road trip. We recently were meeting up in the woods to target shoot and had trouble keying up the repeater. In an emergency is not the time to be trying to figure out how to turn on offsets and PL codes.

Radio is a perishable skill. Got a ham license a few years back with a buddy for a caravan road trip. We recently were meeting up in the woods to target shoot and had trouble keying up the repeater. In an emergency is not the time to be trying to figure out how to turn on offsets and PL codes.
Which is why I'm not worried too much about the zombies clogging up the airwaves when SHTF. Those who are smart will be monitoring the FRS .and GMRS frequencies. The zombie gangs will likely be using those grab and go radios as they wander through the neighborhoods looking for food and supplies. Tactical advantage if you can hear them coming.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top