JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Lets put together a list of NFA myths .

1. The ATF can enter your home at any time because you agree to be searched at random when you file the paperwork.

2. To buy a NFA item you need a class 3 license. You get that when you pay your $200.

3. A silencer is only a silencer when it completely silences the gun. Otherwise its a suppressor.

4. If you let someone shoot your machine gun while you are out blasting stuff you have committed a felony because you transferred it to him.

Getting late...carry on.

My favorite from many years ago. Few of us had a loose partnership. Between us we had several full auto and a couple papered tubes. Used to shoot at an old rock quarry. Lost track of the times another shooter would see one and run to tell us what we had was ILLEGAL!! We would try to calmly explain no they were not. Most would get all kinds of excited and deny any such law. I would mention a VERY well known gun shop in the city. They of course knew of it. I would tell them they were a Class III dealer and could show them some NFA stuff for sale. They would loudly tell me I was full of sh&$. At this point we would tell them to go away. This was before cell phones and one of them would jump in their car to race off to a pay phone. LEO's showed up a couple times. After that they stopped responding to the calls about us. The people would come back. Obviously waiting to Police to show up. When none came they would finally leave. A few who did not approach with an attitude and were surprised to hear the law would of course ask to try. We were probably responsible for the 2 Class III dealers there getting a lot of first time business. :cool:

Pretty sure #4 would be true in Washington under I594 on the second offense, granted of course you were lucky enough to have a pre 1990 grandfathered machine gun (the year the transfer of one became illegal in Washington)

Pretty sure #4 would be true in Washington under I594 on the second offense, granted of course you were lucky enough to have a pre 1990 grandfathered machine gun (the year the transfer of one became illegal in Washington)

That is not a "transfer" under federal or state law unless you just like to see things that way. Many people do more as a way of propagandizing their agenda. "Transfer" for the purpose of the law being a transfer of ownership not a "transfer" of who is holding the firearms at any particular moment.

That is not a "transfer" under federal or state law unless you just like to see things that way. "Transfer" being a transfer of ownership not a "transfer" of who is holding the firearms at any particular moment.

Since the range can still rent guns I have to assume I'm still safe taking another shooter to the range to shoot my guns. Unless they have started running a BGC when they rent a gun? If they have I have not seen anything about it at the range.

Yes, you are OK taking another shooter to the range to shoot your guns.

I figured as much as the range never says a word about it when I go. Last time I took one Daughter they let her in free with me. Wife has taken one sister several times and they let her in free a couple times when she told them she was a former Jar Head. :D
Never said a word about who was shooting who's gun.

That is not a "transfer" under federal or state law unless you just like to see things that way. Many people do more as a way of propagandizing their agenda. "Transfer" for the purpose of the law being a transfer of ownership not a "transfer" of who is holding the firearms at any particular moment.

I'm pretty sure under state law it is a transfer unless it is at a designated shooting range. The way I594 reads simply handing a firearm to someone is a transfer an exemption is only made for a designated shooting range.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but you need to look at the I549 wording. You may get a good lawyer to get you off but it's worded in such a way that I have no doubt if they wanted to press the issue you could be charged

Looked at it a million times and we can certainly start a separate thread concerning what is a transfer and what is not under Washington state law but this isnt that thread. Its one of those threads people get angry in pretty quick. People get angry really easy.

Well you proved my point at least. If you had to look at it a million times it's clear there is confusion about what constitutes a transfer and you have formed an opinion, I think it is completely reasonable that sheriffs and LE could form a different one based on the wording and until there is case law that supports an opinion that's all it is.

And I am not stating my opinion but that of my Washington attorney Dennis Brislawn of the Northwest Firearms group who in no uncertain terms that I after I594 I could no longer let other trustees use the items held in the trust without doing a background check at each transfer

suppressors and machine guns are illegal right?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

incase you didnt catch on, i hear that one all the time from certain folks

I've encountered this syndrome on occasion too. Probably one of the funnier ones was when I handled the transfer of a Super Shorty through the local FFL/SOT. Said establishment often had the small collection of oldsters that hung out there all day and solved the world's problems. Anywho, when the box is opened on said very abbreviated shotgun, one of them springs up, looks at me, and declares "That ain't legal! That's a sawed-off shotgun!". I replied with a simple "It's legal." Not believing me, he repeats the claim, to which the proprietor replies annoyed "It's legal, he paid the tax. Oh and he's buying a silencer too." With no reply, the old fellow went back to his seat. ;)

I've encountered this syndrome on occasion too. Probably one of the funnier ones was when I handled the transfer of a Super Shorty through the local FFL/SOT. Said establishment often had the small collection of oldsters that hung out there all day and solved the world's problems. Anywho, when the box is opened on said very abbreviated shotgun, one of them springs up, looks at me, and declares "That ain't legal! That's a sawed-off shotgun!". I replied with a simple "It's legal." Not believing me, he repeats the claim, to which the proprietor replies annoyed "It's legal, he paid the tax. Oh and he's buying a silencer too." With no reply, the old fellow went back to his seat. ;)

Sounds VERY familiar. :rolleyes:
I wonder if any of those guys I used to tell to head to the one big ClassIII dealer we had went there and said that. I can just see them telling the sales guy that's not legal when showed the full auto stuff they had for sale. :cool:

Bumping this excellent thread. We are very lucky to have our very own Class 3 gun shop in Cave Junction Oregon. Makes things very convenient. We also try to communicate with the Sheriff's Office that we are going to shooting off our NFA stuff. Also lucky our Sheriff is a definite White Hat. Also very fortunate to have our own private shale quarry. Very nice.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Can I name names here in this Excellent Forum? We will and see what happens. ...

IV Guns and Ammo. 223 N. Redwood Highway, Cave Junction Oregon. 1-541-592-3349. Located on the NE Corner of the first traffic light coming into town from the North. River Street. Open Tu thru Sa. Also the manufacture of neat AR15 stuff. Also that special manufacturer occupation tax holder, whatever that means. Good folks.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads