JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wait until the kids that wrote pro-2A papers get bad grades, or get put on some list for bad kids. Those papers will probably show up on their college application.
The liberal education system will find some way to punish those kids who believe in America and freedom.

Um........are there any?

I'll tell you, its a tough row to hoe getting a little history through my grandsons skull. His cousins too! And they're all smart, respectful, attentive kids! The deal is you can't start with what you want them to get, you have to go nearly back to Adam because they have no base of information to stand upon. It's pretty frustrating sometimes, but I won't quit 'cause our family is all they have for this kind of knowledge!

Homeschool FTW

Look... I know the world is set up a certain way and most people feel like they have no choice but to send their kids to public school.... but this IS what you get. So you might revisit the thought.

Homeschoolers here. I'll be darned if I'm going to allow any government entity to indoctrinate my kid to their anti-freedom ways. No, she will know (actually already knows) what the real purpose behind the Declaration and the Constitution are. And I'm excited to see an ever growing number of folks doing the same.

Last Edited:
Yes, my grandsons cousins are home schooled! My grandson is in a public school for gifted kids. He is a computer wiz and has been studying robotics and building specialized robots for years now! Pretty smart kid! Still, it's a public school so history suffers and gramdpa's at bat!:);)

Section 8 (of our Constitution) says nothing about education. It's not a federal business. Period. If the state of NY want's to indoctrinate it's kids that's one thing. But it sure does not apply to the kids of Wyoming. This is a perfect example of what happens if you give the federal government too much money (via income taxes) they now use it as carrots (in the form of grants) to exert influence beyond their mandate.

Its sad to me, this new environment in our schools. I grew up with both parents in education, both started as high school teachers, my father ended up being the Principal of the high school.

There have been a lot of debates over common core, Ill admit that when my 1st grader brings home math problems I don't understand the process they are using to come to simple addition/subtraction/division problems. It concerns me, but I am willing to learn a new method if it means helping my son.

That being said, most of the teachers I have seen complain that its "not their fault, it is the curriculum" and that "Its a new way of learning that is in line with the rest of the world" This may be true to some extent.

What I also know is there are more than one way to skin a cat and I watched my mother change curriculums to suit her classes. For example when she got "saddled" (she loved those kids and they loved her) with the "alternative school" students, she realized that the same old approach wasn't working. The force fed scholastic mish mash of information and statistics wasn't important to these kids for myriad reasons.

She altered her lesson plans, she challenged curriculums and made lessons they would respond to. She also refused to teach certain "topics" that were simply put political agendas from the flavor of the month BOE and their string holders.

So when I hear teachers defend their lessons with "its not my fault, its the curriculum the MAKE us teach" I call bullbubblegum.

At a certain point a person in any given profession has to answer to their judgment, code of ethics, honor, creed, what have you. You either are part of the solution or part of the problem.

Its sad to me, this new environment in our schools. I grew up with both parents in education, both started as high school teachers, my father ended up being the Principal of the high school.

There have been a lot of debates over common core, Ill admit that when my 1st grader brings home math problems I don't understand the process they are using to come to simple addition/subtraction/division problems. It concerns me, but I am willing to learn a new method if it means helping my son.

That being said, most of the teachers I have seen complain that its "not their fault, it is the curriculum" and that "Its a new way of learning that is in line with the rest of the world" This may be true to some extent.

What I also know is there are more than one way to skin a cat and I watched my mother change curriculums to suit her classes. For example when she got "saddled" (she loved those kids and they loved her) with the "alternative school" students, she realized that the same old approach wasn't working. The force fed scholastic mish mash of information and statistics wasn't important to these kids for myriad reasons.

She altered her lesson plans, she challenged curriculums and made lessons they would respond to. She also refused to teach certain "topics" that were simply put political agendas from the flavor of the month BOE and their string holders.

So when I hear teachers defend their lessons with "its not my fault, its the curriculum the MAKE us teach" I call bullbubblegum.

At a certain point a person in any given profession has to answer to their judgment, code of ethics, honor, creed, what have you. You either are part of the solution or part of the problem.

Sounds like your parents were the kind of teachers/admins that used to make the public schools great places to learn. I grew up in public school and had some amazing teachers (some not so great). But the great ones made me enjoy my time in class, and for that, I thank them.

We know quite a few teachers in the public schools. Some are becoming so frustrated that they are thinking about leaving altogether, some already have. It sounds like their choices, in recent years, to have some flexibility in their own classrooms over what they teach or don't teach have been very restricted. They are teaching to the tests required under Common Core now, and they're telling us they simply don't have enough time in the classrooms as it is to teach everything they need for those tests. I feel bad for a lot of these teachers - they wanted to become teachers to help kids learn, not to become their substitute government parents. Teaching a government mandated view of social morays just doesn't fit with what many teachers got into teaching for in the first place.

I have nothing against people that have kids in public school. I can tell you that homeschooling is difficult at best, and there are a lot of factors that can make it the wrong choice for people. It's not for everyone. It's very time consuming and comes with more money out of our pocket than it would with a public school, by far. And, you have to be committed and deeply involved, which can be difficult to manage at times if you're not really organized.

Honestly I'd prefer it if everyone could use a tax credit to make their school choice on their own. Public school, covered. Private school, tax credit to help offset the cost. Same for home schooling (curriculum and home school co-op schools get spendy), online schools and charter schools. Give people the choice, and spread the tax money, that we pay, evenly among those with different choices than public school.

I would have nothing against public schools if they stuck with the basics - Math, science, reading, writing, history, geography, economics, even the electives like music and art. But I do draw the line at the ever increasing push to teach morality, specifically the government's preferred version of morality as well as their revisionist history. It has no place in the schools. And as long as they insist on doing things that way, I will encourage everyone who can, and who is willing to do so, to get out. Perhaps if enough people leave, which would then cut the funding the schools receive, it may provide the necessary push-back to get these folks to do a 180. I won't hold my breath ;)

Last Edited:
I hate to tell you guys, but this crap has been going on for YEARS. My daughter was "taught" the 2ndA only applies to the militia and its members 20-something years ago.
My son was "taught" the same 10 years later.
He was also threatened with disciplinary action for arguing over it in class.

Teachers know young minds are malleable, and will teach whatever you let them get away with.
Don't let them get away with common core.

Homeschool is an idea we ponder. Here's my worry. I was public schooled, and have a college degree. I was around all that liberal stuff growing up in Tigard. And I'm still am horrible at PC, and don't relate to the white collar world I work in a lot.
So if my kids were homeschooled, I'm nervous they might be unable to relate to Joe public and have a good career.
This thought process is biased off me and not you. I'm a weirdo.
;)

Homeschool is an idea we ponder. Here's my worry. I was public schooled, and have a college degree. I was around all that liberal stuff growing up in Tigard. And I'm still am horrible at PC, and don't relate to the white collar world I work in a lot.
So if my kids were homeschooled, I'm nervous they might be unable to relate to Joe public and have a good career.
This thought process is biased off me and not you. I'm a weirdo.
;)

The socialization/compatibility argument is by far, the most common made about home schooling. And, by far, one of the easiest to dismiss. Many people have an idea in their heads of the children being kept in the basement, working away, wondering what the 'normal' kids do 'out there', while mom, in her out of date dress runs them through old-school memory drills. Today's home school families rarely, if ever, fit that old paradigm.

There are studies out there, just done recently that show a number of important metrics regarding home schoolers. Those studies show that home schooled kids are in fact well adjusted socially and integrate well not only into the professional world, but also into the college world. We're seeing more and more universities seeking homeschool grads since their test scores are showing on average to be higher than their public school counterparts.

Home schools today are very different than they were even 20 years ago. Even though my daughter is home schooled, only about 1 day a week is actually spent at home. Local libraries, even OMSI, are regularly hosting "Home School Days", targeted specifically at those groups - and I can tell you, they are heavily attended. The rest of the days, they are participating in 3 different home school 'co-op' style schools where the kids get the structure of a regular school schedule, and a LOT of socialization. Our daughter's teachers have been, among others, a lawyer, former public school teacher and a nurse. In fact, statistics recently are showing a trend among folks with a higher education, such as doctors, lawyers, engineers and other professionals, choosing to home school their children.

Honestly, you can be as social, or anti-social as you want. We want our daughter to be exposed to a wide variety of people. And I can tell you, the feedback we get on her ability to communicate and interact well with others, is very high.

I would never push someone this way if it's not their choice. It's tough and not for everyone. But I do like to take the opportunity to try and educate folks on the 'modern' day version of homeschooling. :)

"Does a child get a job because they can read well, write well and have competent math skills, or do they get a job for supporting gay marriage and gun control?"

- Alice Linahan, Voices Empower

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads