Defensive Arts
Low Price Guns
Sporting Systems
J&B Firearm Sales
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Gun Deals
Southwest Firearms Forum
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Commercial late 70s Walther p38. Worth it?

Reactions
Found two at local shop, $419 each. Actual ww2 gun is too rich for my blood. Like my 1911, got a new copy to fit the niche. Worth it at that price? Anything particular about them ?

AndyinEverson

Reactions
  • Army
  • Law Around Here
Grips ain't right for a WWII pistol and the may throw the looks off too much if you want it to look like a WWII service pistol...
But they are good shooters and a neat piece of Cold War history.
Andy

gmerkt

Reactions
Main difference is the aluminum frame that every post war P.1 or P.38 that I've seen has had. OP didn't state condition of those priced at $419, but if average, the price is also about average. Nice ones sell for more. There are tons of these around, most are common surplus guns, not rare. In addition to several war-time P.38's, I've owned probably half a dozen post war P.1 and P.38 (yes, some were so marked). None were particular tack-drivers, more often sprayers, only one post war gun was above average in that department.

OP
WAW44
Reactions
Thanks! After doing done reading on my own , I think I will pass on them.

gmerkt

Reactions
Probably a wise decision. They were pretty gee-whiz in their day but now there are lots better 9mm pistols. Once you get tired of it, they aren't fast sellers there are so many of them. I have one byf 43 that I've kept mainly for historical reasons. Yes, it will shoot. But I've kept it because it's a Russian capture gun, no question it saw use on the Eastern Front.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place friendly service always take time to help you, great knowledge of products
    • RJSouth
  • Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Perfect install of peep sight on my cz 527 carbine. Price was right, was expecting it to be more. Will be my go to for anything I can't handle...
    • cd90caprice
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been party to a couple transactions with Steve and he is a great guy to deal with.
    • titsonritz
  • TJ Gun Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Purchased two handguns there and have one on consignment now nice folks!
    • rl280
  • Northwest Armory - Tigard
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to help my buddy with his purchase and ended up trading in a 1911 towards a CZ SP-01 Tactical. They gave a higher price that some of the...
    • nosbocaj

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS