Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Comments on Brass Catchers

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by accurateone, Jul 29, 2009.

1. accurateone

accurateone Eastern Washington Member

With the current difficulties in getting ammo & reloading components I would be interested in comments of shooters with experience using brass catchers. What is the best kind for A3 style flat top etc.? How many rounds do they hold on average? FTE problems? Use in the field (still hunting), or only good at the range? Have you used one? Where did you get it? What would be a good improvment? What to watch out for?

Thanks for your input in advance.:)

2. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

I was just talking to my brother-in-law about this on Sunday.....how Ironic. :)

He said that he bought a $30/$40 brass catcher but wasn't impressed so he returned it. He then replaced it with a $20-$25 brass catcher and now it works better.

He had a rigid one, and then replaced it with a soft one that uses velcro wraps and netting.

He purchased it online, and only uses it for range practice.

3. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Marion County Member

My brass catcher when I'm shooting outdoors (not at the range) is a nice, big, blue tarp. It costs just a few dollars, and doesn't get in your way while shooting. :thumbup:

4. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

I use one on my AR because I got tired of chasing the brass. It is a mesh bag that is attached with velcro. Though it doesn't look "cool", it works quite well. For the 10 bucks I spent, it is well worth it. They sell them through Midway and other places I would bet.

5. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

I liked my hard plastic brass catcher. :) expensive but works well until you put optics on the flat top. Then it's back to picking up brass.:(

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

I bought the UTG brass catcher (velcro strap w/ net ) works great, I have yet to have a problem.. but one issue is with my quad rail its not as snug to the ejection port as it should be.. I would recommend one!

7. MWS

MWS Oregon City,OR Member

8. accurateone

accurateone Eastern Washington Member

Thanks much for your comments, I would like to try a soft catcher first and wish Uncle Mikes etc... in OR made them, but will start with Midway. Thanks again.
    Accurateone

9. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

If you're shooting at a covered range, you can take a clear plastic shower curtain and just hang it from the roof of the range on your right side in the path of the ejecting brass. This also still allows you to still see up and down the line. Works for any semi-auto rifle or pistol. The brass hits the shower curtain and falls right next to your bench. Secure it with clamps if there is an overhead joist or just small nails or tacks.

10. BigBull 301

BigBull 301 PDX almost Well-Known Member

When I'm at the range, shooting off the bench. I just drape a towel, yes a towel over the scope and hanging down over the action. The towel stops the brass.
    Had a guy next to me with a $49.99 brass catcher, my old towel worked as well as his did.
    Offered to sell him a towel for $39.99! Try it you'll be amazed.

11. 284guy

284guy Woodburn Member

When at the range i set my backpack next to the gun with the flap open, 29 out of 30 go right in the backpack and I never have to touch them till I get home. The blue tarp works great when your outdoors.