JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm really considering the TriSquare eXRS TSX300-2VP 900MHz FHSS Digital Two-Way Radio at Amazon. I know that they are an analog radio and not a digital radio but lets face it, the only people who will hear your conversations will be the government blokes in the black helicopters. :s0114:

I'm also looking at picking up a 2M rig after I get my Technician license for longer range comms and a 10M rig for monitoring the really long range stuff.

I'm licensed, but none of my friends are. Using the 900MHz would give us all secure communications for our group (local and tactical), and the ham could be used for longer distance communications.

If the security aspects of these radios are THE deciding issue, they are an excellent choice... especially with the low cost TriSquare radios.

My problem with these radios, and some FRS/GMRS/MURS etc., is that they don't run off alkaline batteries (require a charger) and thus will quickly be out of juice without electric service, have no external antenna capability, and are very short range (1 mile max in most PNW environs). I prefer a handheld radio that can be run off alkaline batteries, a backup battery, a filtered external power supply, or a car battery. I also prefer a BNC antenna connector that allows for use of an external antenna for enhanced range. The short range capabilities of most non-ham gear also decreases the range at which others will hear you and thus render security less important than it may appear on the surface. For those able to get over the perceived security benefits, most people would be better served with handheld CB's and/or VHF/UHF ham gear (with a license). I also think most people would be just as well served with the "disposable" FRS radios that use alkaline batts for short range comms. Then again, it's all dependent on the level of benefit/need one assigns the security issue provided by the spread spectrum frequency hopping capabilities. It sounds terrific in concept but I'm unsure just how necessary it would be in real life...or how practical those radios would be when the electric power service is out and you have no way to recharge your batteries.

If the security aspects of these radios are THE deciding issue, they are an excellent choice... especially with the low cost TriSquare radios.

My problem with these radios, and some FRS/GMRS/MURS etc., is that they don't run off alkaline batteries (require a charger) and thus will quickly be out of juice without electric service, have no external antenna capability, and are very short range (1 mile max in most PNW environs). I prefer a handheld radio that can be run off alkaline batteries, a backup battery, a filtered external power supply, or a car battery. I also prefer a BNC antenna connector that allows for use of an external antenna for enhanced range. The short range capabilities of most non-ham gear also decreases the range at which others will hear you and thus render security less important than it may appear on the surface. For those able to get over the perceived security benefits, most people would be better served with handheld CB's and/or VHF/UHF ham gear (with a license). I also think most people would be just as well served with the "disposable" FRS radios that use alkaline batts for short range comms. Then again, it's all dependent on the level of benefit/need one assigns the security issue provided by the spread spectrum frequency hopping capabilities. It sounds terrific in concept but I'm unsure just how necessary it would be in real life...or how practical those radios would be when the electric power service is out and you have no way to recharge your batteries.

Do you have a recommendation on a handheld CB?

-d

Do you have a recommendation on a handheld CB?

-d

Cobra, Midland, and Maxon all make handheld CB's that are sold in the US. I believe Radio Shack sells Cobra and Midland brands although they may need to be ordered from their website. All three brands are good radios, have BNC antenna connections to hook up to a base or mag-mount antenna if desired, and will run off alkaline, power supplies, or car batteries. There are many web suppliers that will beat Radio Shack pricing.

Hi, am wondering how the FT 270 transmitts and recieves in the woods. how far can u transmit over hilly and forested terrain ? How is the battery life ? I have been using Kenwood TK series in 400-450 megahertz. they are battery hogs but they work awesome. Will the much lower frequency of the FT270 lend will to its service in the woods ? Do u have to have a Ham license to operate ?

Hi, am wondering how the FT 270 transmitts and recieves in the woods. how far can u transmit over hilly and forested terrain ? How is the battery life ? I have been using Kenwood TK series in 400-450 megahertz. they are battery hogs but they work awesome. Will the much lower frequency of the FT270 lend will to its service in the woods ? Do u have to have a Ham license to operate ?

The FT 270 is an amateur band radio which requires a Technician class license or higher to transmit with. There are to many variables when using a ham radio to intelligently answer your question as to distance performance. An experienced ham will almost always squeeze considerably more performance out of a ham radio than an industrial user will out of the one he is issued at work. Battery life is dependent upon so many things that an answer to your question is not possible. Again, an experienced ham will squeeze more battery time out of his than will most industrial users. The best thing you can do if you are really interested in using serious radios in the great outdoors is to earn your amateur license and learn about how radio works... and how to get the most out of them. You will quickly meet a lot of knowledgeable people more than willing to help you, and put your new skills to practical use.

Cobra, Midland, and Maxon all make handheld CB's that are sold in the US. I believe Radio Shack sells Cobra and Midland brands although they may need to be ordered from their website. All three brands are good radios, have BNC antenna connections to hook up to a base or mag-mount antenna if desired, and will run off alkaline, power supplies, or car batteries. There are many web suppliers that will beat Radio Shack pricing.

Awesome, I'll check them out!

-d

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews