JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sold my HF rig, but I dont have a general class license to really use it anyway. I suppose that when SHTF that doesn't matter. I still have a 2 meter rig and a VHF/UHF handheld.

I guess what I am trying to say is I plan on using ham radio and even the 2 way radios for short distance communications.

For short range comms I plan on using the intercom in my house. That way I don't have to leave what I'm doing in the garage to go get dinner. I can just yell to have it brought to me. :s0114:

For long range, I'm hoping someone in my general area has a printing press and resurrects the newspaper.

Other than that, just a crank emergency radio. Unless you are an expert in cryptography then anything that goes over the air will be heard by more than your intended recipient. It's also pretty easy to zone in on transmissions.

If you read the history on cryptography it's fairly interesting (depending on your interests). War's have been changed by cryptographic skills. Or should I say cryptanalyst skills.

not expert in cryptology by radios like the ol school pric 119's can be set with another radio (however you would have to do this ahead of time obviously with both radios) to roll freqs constantly to make tracing quite a bitter harder. Too if SHTF a little outside knowledge from others (emergency radio/cb) couldnt hurt

got a 2m mobile and just got a ft-270 for when I am out in the woods hunting or hiking. I need to get some sort of 2m or preferably a quad band station set up in the house though. For short range stuff, I have some motorolla FMRS or GMRS radios (I forget what they are). I really don't like those types of radios as they tend to suck if there is any kind of obstruction between them. I need to get a CB and some other stuff, but for now I am somewhat set. Didn't really get the HAM stuff for SHTF. More for personal emergencies or what ever for when I am out of cell range in the woods. Has happened more than once when it would have been very very nice to be able to get comms with the outside world.

my personal gear consist's of 2 base h.f.'s all band all mode .5 thru 30 mhz am/fm/ssb/digital/cw
2 mobile hf/vhf/uhf all band all mode .5 thru 600 mhz am/fm/ssb/digital/cw
and the usual gmrs radios that dont get out very far at all but would be good for maybe 1/2 a mile range.
also have a couple of scanners that do the new apco-25 digital encoding as well as analog scan. so i get to listen to all the stuff that the policia probably dont want people to hear.:D
( i work in aviation overseas ,so i have access to alot of hi-tech comm equipment for my job that you normally can't get here in the good 'ol conus.)

BAGPIPES??????.....You're begging to be shot!!!! :s0114:
I intend to use the tactic Bill Millin used on D-Day.

from wikipedia here;Bill Millin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill "Piper" Millin:Millin is best remembered for playing the pipes whilst under fire during the D-Day landing in Normandy.[2] Pipers had traditionally been used in battle by Scottish and Irish soldiers,[3] but the use of bagpipes was restricted to rear areas by the time of the Second World War by the British Army. Lovat, however, ignored these orders and ordered Millin, aged 21, to play. When Private Millin demurred, citing the regulations, he recalled later, Lord Lovat replied: “Ah, but that’s the English War Office. You and I are both Scottish, and that doesn’t apply.” He played "Hielan' Laddie" and "The Road to the Isles" as his comrades fell around him on Sword Beach.[1] Millin states that he talked to German snipers who claimed they did not shoot him because they thought he was crazy.[4]

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top