JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The phone rang this morning, my wife picked it up. The caller ID said, Comcast. We screen calls with the caller ID, but since we are Comcast customers, we reasonably figured it was legit. Mrs. Merkt doesn't suffer fools gladly so she quickly handed the call off to me. The caller was south Asian-sounding, which in itself isn't unusual. Seeing as how so many call centers have been off-shored to places like that. He gave me a pitch as to how Comcast was offering a special promotion and they would give me my existing bundled service that we have for $130 per month for two years. Of course that got my interest because we pay more than that now. The little voice in the back of my head is saying, "Why would Comcast call and voluntarily give up money?" Quite the opposite, I've had to call them I don't know how many times to haggle over our bill when they've arbitrarily jacked my rates.

When the caller tells me $130, right away I asked him, "Taxes included?" Which has gotten to be a significant laundry list of add-ons. So this far along, I bite and tell him I'm interested. He then gives me a Comcast promotion code which is a long box-car number sequence. He also gave me the phone number for the Comcast billing department where I could set up my this new billing amount for my account.

Next phase, the caller tells me this promotion is being sponsored by Ebay and that is the basis for the discount. To get the promotion, I need to pre-pay my first two months of service under the new rates. He carefully explains to me that to do the pre-payment of two months, I need to go to (list of stores in our area), and buy an Ebay card (gift card) for $260 and I will use this to pay when I call in to the Comcast billing department to activate the new rates. He explains that this is part of the Ebay promotion. Well, this sounded somewhat weird but I thought, "Who knows, maybe there is some kind of tie-in between the two companies." Oh, he also said that if I bought my Ebay card and called in to the Comcast billing department today before 10:00PM, they would give me a free $100 prepaid Mastercard.

This caller already knew my name and address. Obviously also my phone number.

When I got off the phone, I went straight over to my PC and Googled this situation and right away, it came up bogus. The scam is, you buy the Ebay gift card, call the (bogus) Comcast billing department, they have you give them the gift card number and pin number. Which they then use to cash it electronically. You never hear from them again, your Comcast rates stay the same, it has nothing to do with the real Comcast. Three things stick out in my mind.

1. Somehow, these crooks knew I was a Comcast customer. I'd like to know how that happens. Comcast has tens of thousands of people working for the company, I suppose there are some there who will steal data. Or their records have been hacked.

2. How can someone calling sit there for 15 minutes and every word out of their mouth is a lie? What kind of people take a job like that? I could hear other people talking in the background, boiler-room style, the crook was not working solo. There's a room full of jerks telling lies. I wonder if their mother knows how they earn a living. A Highway 99 hooker makes a more honest living than that.

3. The flagrant display and use of the Comcast brand should be disturbing to the company but I doubt their ability to do anything about it. I guess I shouldn't feel too badly for Comcast; there are those who believe that organization is a legal form of organized crime.

So when I Googled this, some people have been stung. They went the full distance, bought the card and called the numbers in. What they have left to show for it is a zero balance Ebay card. This next part was funny, some people went along as far as I did. Even after they looked it up and found out it was bogus, they called Comcast and demanded reduced rates!

This is a common scam now. Wifey is front-end manager at a major chain grocery. What ever the story of the day is, it involves the mark buying gift cards. The latest is ebay cards. Just previous to ebay was Google cards. Before that it had been Visa gift cards. They have become proactive at this point at Albertways. A person coming into the store and buying several gift cards will be questioned why the cards are needed, and/or who the cards are for. Hopefully the mark is open enough to discuss the cards. At that point the associate will warn them of the scam and explain to them that the store KNOWS that they have been told to call a number, (or in the case of one ebay card sale Wifey turned down just a couple of days ago, have their phone AT THE CHECKSTAND with the scammer, presumably, on the line waiting for the numbers from the cards), and reveal the card numbers to the scammer that will then spend the card money quickly. A few days ago an older gentleman, in a wheel chair was buying three ebay cards for $250.00 each. Wifey had a hard time getting him to understand what was up. Wifey denied the sale according to company policy. After some questioning he said his wife sent him to buy the cards.

Another scam involving gift cards...The thief will get inactivated cards from the display and open them enough to get the number. No idea myself how those are sealed. And place the card back on the rack. Once they have numbers, someone will monitor the site that will show when activation of that card number occurs. At that point it's off to the races to spend the money on the card before the poor sap that got the card for Christmas, birthday etc spends it.

I take it this requires that the crooks have someone inside who provides that information.

I can't say for sure, but I'd assume these folks don't have much else to do. So they sit around the computer checking numerous card #s waiting for one to show activation? Maybe they have an automated way to monitor when a card number is activated? I do know, from Wifey, that people come back to the store mad as hell that the card they bought didn't work when the recipient went to use it.

Here's another scam Wifey was able to foil. She didn't even know about the scam until she found out she unwittingly foiled it. A man comes in to buy lottery. He buys $260.00 of KENO. He hems and haws, buy a pack of gum, maybe some smokes, candy bar. Says hell pay with credit card...Oops, "Sorry, can't buy lottery with credit". "Okay, I'll pay cash". At a point she notices he has his cell phone on the counter, that she hadn't seen yet because her view was obstructed by the pay terminal. At that point the scammer runs out the door. He was watching the KENO draw onhis phone! Wifey sells enough lottery she hadn't even noticed that all $260.00 of his KENO tickets were a single number, all the same #. We presume that plan was, once he sees that his single # came up, on all tickets, he'd grab the tickets and run out the door without paying. Problem was, Wifey put the tickets in a drawer, until she got paid. Once those tickets are printed? The store was out $260.00.

A lotta dirt bags out there!

Sounds like Comcast may have been hacked or someome found your info in your trash/recycling bin.

I dunno, I have a cable running into my house from the pole on the street. It's a fat cable, not the fiber optic. That pretty much says Comcast, if your in Comcast territory.

In some countries these scams are run out of offices and the scammers show up to work everyday as a regular job. There was a website I came across several years ago where people were scamming the scammers. The goal was to get a scammer to send you a picture of themselves with a fresh dead fish on their head, you know, so you know it is for real before you send them the money.

In regards to how they knew you were a Comcast customer, it may not take much doing. In my part of town, for example, it's one of the only two options I have.

It's also remarkable how much of your personal info is out there for folks to find on the web without having to rely actual theft of data.

Personally I never answer the phone if it's not from one of my contacts or someone I'm expecting. If it's important they'll leave a voicemail.

They don't know you are a Comcast customer. They merely look at Comcast's market share which has to be pretty good. If Comcast has 25% market share, then the sweat shop dialers can connect on every 5th call or so, and then they just need to convert the mark. They are not going after small share companies. The dialers can spoof any name they want too.

They have automatic dialers that just keep dialing the random numbers and when one is answered it is routed to an open cubicle with some poor bastard in it and he gets to try and make the deal. If he gets hung up on , there is another one waiting in the cue to go to. Poor sap probably has to make 35 or more calls an hour I imagine.

Back in my consulting days, I dealt with a lot of larger landscape companies. A couple of these also had chemical fertilizer franchiees like True Green. I was in one office and they had a room with about 20 cubicles with phones and computers. I did not deal with that aspect of their business, but I asked the owner how that worked. He had a crew of people work part time come in about 5 pm worked until 9 pm and they started dialing for dollars.

They had lists of numbers they bought and would load them in the computer and the toads would start dialing, with scripts and flow charts. That was their primary customer procurement model and it must have worked. I walked through that room leaving one night and there was 20 people calling and one supervisor walking around probably waiting to flog them with a cane if they did not put up numbers. Charts on the wall with all kinds of conversion numbers. That was 18 or so years ago, I imagine the technology is even better, but what a backwards way to procure customers. That was the industry standard then however.

About every other day/week we hear about how some company had its client info swiped or breached. Or social media like with the facebook incident awhile back.

Your stuffs everywhere like a port-a-pooper with all its graffiti in permanent marker. The work phone here will get random texts about winning or claiming something or inquiring about something you bought. Phone calls about hotels and offers come in from automated lines. My old cell used to get telemarketers and then the random call with no response then hangs up.

I've since learned if its not a # i know or programmed and it doesn't leave a message then its not worth it. Sometimes the message left are junk to with automated message that are cut off from the start going over your client side info but leads into a message. Remember when Microsoft India used to call and tell you your PC was infected and you had to pay to free it.

Remember when Microsoft India used to call and tell you your PC was infected and you had to pay to free it.

I haven't got one of those for a long time. I did recently, a couple of weeks ago, have a message from a computer voice explaining the bad things that were going to happen to my computer if I didn't get back to them for help. The voice had a tone to it like "it" was informing us all the world was going to end in 2 days and there would be nothing I could do about it.

I'm going to consider myself lucky... I don't have cable TV. But I do get junk mail and calls constantly from DirecTV. Those bastids!

We screen our calls also. But since we have a lot of doctors, and also because of the fake local ID calls, we do get some recorded garbage. I'm so glad that Credit Card companies want to give me a better rate, that somebody is trying to reach me about my soon to expire car warranty that I don't even have, and that the Social Security Administration has discovered my identity has been stolen and I need to confirm my info they have on file.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Y'all should get on the YouTube's and search for "scamming the scammers".... these scammer guys (particularly in India) absolutely LOSE THEIR SHEITE when they realize that THEY'VE been reversed scammed.... :s0140:

I watched/listened to a few of those before. Pretty good. I used to work 'em sometimes. It became boring. The callers got better training so it wasn't near as easy, or fun, to blow their minds.

I watched/listened to a few of those before. Pretty good. I used to work 'em sometimes. It became boring. The callers got better training so it wasn't near as easy, or fun, to blow their minds.

For live calls, I still enjoy telling them I am Detective Rasputin J. Poolcrud at the scene of a double murder and I need their name and location for my investigation!! :D:D:D

I haven't got one of those for a long time. I did recently, a couple of weeks ago, have a message from a computer voice explaining the bad things that were going to happen to my computer if I didn't get back to them for help. The voice had a tone to it like "it" was informing us all the world was going to end in 2 days and there would be nothing I could do about it.

At my job there is at least 10,000 attacks that happen from around the globe trying to steal data. They had it on a monitor display that you could watch in an almost real time.

Considering the issues that keep getting found with Intel CPUs I asked the site owner since ALL of our servers say INTEL on it if they planned on going to AMD to reduce likelyhood and increase performance. After sharing links articles and all that tech babble they just said wow thats interesting and thanks for the info.

Data centers are on the rise here in H town. They're adding at least another 2 in my area when we've already got 3 or 4 major in the areas. This is all on the daily too. I tried asking the IT guys how bad the hit was when the two big ones hit with specter and meltdown but they all said that they wouldn't really know until after patching and if even then it would fully mitigate. Course that was 2018 I believe and since then we've found a slew of new vulnerability. On the daily we get new email alerts concern cycber security and data breaches across the globe revolving around weak security measures and bad practice in place.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top