JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If 501 miles counts for you a "near" I thought the class at Thunder Ranch was well worth the time. Three days, good drills, plenty of interaction working with others. Glad I attended. Givens sometimes goes to FAS but doesn't look like it is on his 2022 schedule.
Clint recently announced on his YouTube channel he's selling the Oregon thunder ranch and relocating to Vegas, so he'll likely have some downtime while they transition to the new location.

Clint recently announced on his YouTube channel he's selling the Oregon thunder ranch and relocating to Vegas, so he'll likely have some downtime while they transition to the new location.
He always does classes in Vegas over the winter. The ranch is up for sale but he is still scheduling classes there for now. The video indicates "we are working on regional training programs" so it appears there may be some added venues in the future. (Perhaps he will venture to Seattle for the OP!)

He always does classes in Vegas over the winter. The ranch is up for sale but he is still scheduling classes there for now. The video indicates "we are working on regional training programs" so it appears there may be some added venues in the future. (Perhaps he will venture to Seattle for the OP!)
[h2][/h2]
Thunder Ranch Announcement: Adapting To The Times
Thunder Ranch244,395 viewsAug 27, 2021
Today's world has become a more challenging and complicated place than most of us could have ever imagined. We at Thunder Ranch recognize that the ongoing global events taking place over the past 18 months have irrevocably changed almost every facet of modern-day life. This includes doing what we do, and how we do it. One of our core values, Logic, shows us that almost every obstacle comes with an opportunity, if you're open to seeing it. We believe that this is our opportunity to create a better experience for our current students, and to be more accessible for many more future students. We know it's even harder to travel now, so we're doing something about it. To accomplish this, we will be relocating our base of operations, and adopting new ways of conducting business in the coming years. Yes, that means we are selling the property here in Lakeview, Oregon. Sale details here: https://fsbo.com/listings/listings/sh... With that said, Thunder Ranch will be transitioning into a dual-focused business model starting in 2022, those being regionalized live-fire training classes and enhanced digital content offerings. We are excited about these next steps, and what they will offer in our ability to continue delivering the highest quality of training, and the sharing of our hard-earned knowledge with you, our family of friends and students. Everything that you've come to expect from Thunder Ranch will remain intact, we're just growing with the times. I know this will create a lot more questions than it provides answers to, but for now please understand that these are changes for 2022 and beyond. And no worries for anyone currently signed up for classes now, we will still be providing our best efforts to every student attending classes here in Lakeview or elsewhere. Thank you, Clint

May be some added venues in the future, but it sounds to me like, he plans on shuttering the Lakeview facility.

Between now and whenever you take the instructor-led course you might try doing this Home Defense Shotgun Skills Test (https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/the-home-defense-shotgun-skills-test/) - it covers grabbing the weapon from a table, shouldering, aligning your sights, firing both quickly and accurately from standard and compressed positions, managing recoil, reloading, etc. This can be done on your own time with silhouette targets and a basic shot timer, though you'll probably need to go to an unpopulated area where shooting is permitted (state forest, etc.), or to an outdoor range that allows rapid fire. If you don't have a shot timer, there are smart phone apps that you can download for this purpose - they aren't as good as the real thing, but they'll do in a pinch.

If you pass the test without any difficulty, then awesome - you can walk away knowing that you'll get a lot of bang for your buck at the instructor-led course because you'll be able to focus on the practical defensive training material instead of having to learn things you should probably already know. If you don't pass it, then you'll know what things to work on between now and then so that you can get as much benefit out of the course as possible. Either way you get another excuse to go shooting, which is always fun... win-win situation all around.

Cheers, and hope you have a blast at the course!

Yep, it sold out within an hour of being posted. Fortunately, I snagged a ticket, so I'll be going to Dallas for three days for that. Should be lots of fun.
Yeah, it didn't last long at all. I wish I could make it, but I am having hard enough making my current training schedule work out. Congrats, you made it, supper cool. I am officially envious.

After-Action Report: The Thunderstick Summit
Thanks for posting that info. Just signed up for Given's shotgun instructor class in Nashville for January. (Took the student version a few years ago.) Erick Gelhaus was one of my instructors last week at Gunsite, great person and wealth of knowledge. Bet that was an amazing event. Thanks for sharing. Looks like Vegas 2023 could be an option! Hope @huzar had fun.

The Thunderstick summit was a lot of fun, and some valuable training as well. I especially enjoyed Steve Fisher's on the move drills. I'm excited for Vegas next year.

Thanks for posting that info. Just signed up for Given's shotgun instructor class in Nashville for January. (Took the student version a few years ago.) Erick Gelhaus was one of my instructors last week at Gunsite, great person and wealth of knowledge. Bet that was an amazing event. Thanks for sharing. Looks like Vegas 2023 could be an option! Hope @huzar had fun.
I'd love to hear how your shotgun instructor training from Tom Givens goes. I'm eyeing the same course in August at Meadhall Range in Oklahome.

I'd love to hear how your shotgun instructor training from Tom Givens goes. I'm eyeing the same course in August at Meadhall Range in Oklahome.
I'll post a report after the class. Already received the assignment topic for my presentation, so I'll be working on that over the next few weeks. Ammo shipped to the range and should be arriving next week.

Had a great time a Steve Fisher's Low Light Shotgun class at FAS with a couple of gents on this thread. Good class and cool to meet some members from the forum. Worth the time and trip to shoot in the dark.

That 1301 will be a good one for the Rolling Thunder drill!
It was pretty awesome, had a chance to roll the thunder at Steve Fisher's Low Light class last weekend.

Had a great time a Steve Fisher's Low Light Shotgun class at FAS with a couple of gents on this thread. Good class and cool to meet some members from the forum. Worth the time and trip to shoot in the dark.
It was a good class and a lot fun. It was the first time I ran my 1301 in a class, LL made it even more interesting. It was a pleasure finally meeting you FTF and thanks to @huzar for letting me about the class and that Matt Haught would be attending as a student.

Great class, with lots of good learnings for me on my current low light setup on my 870 (not bad, but could be better). Steve didn't disappoint with making us move and shoot and load on the move in the dark and letting us experiment with various decisions. Great to put a couple of faces to names, @WillametteWill and @titsonritz :s0073:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top