JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Things i learned in combat 1. How you train is how you will react, If you are a striker fired guy (no safeties) stay with that platform If you are a cocked and locked guy stay with it. Carrying a glock one day and a 1911 the next can lead to fatal mistakes. (beware the man with one gun for he knows how to use it). 2 Train correctly, Most gun ranges are poor and ineffective training sites as most only allow the shooter to slow fire at targets in a standing position, Combat requires skills such as shooting from cover, mag changes and engaging targets at unknown distances and in adverse conditions. 3 Keep your dang finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot and always point that cannon in a safe direction. Just my thoughts for the day please feel free to add your two cents.

Don't get "locked into" a single plan or training method...the bad guy will not go by your training , planing or wants...so be flexible and adaptable.

Be willing to do what is necessary to survive the encounter...it might be as simple as just being aware of your surroundings , knowing when to" break contact" / disengage . etc...

Also know that if you have to resort to any form of defense , you will be questioned "seven ways to Sunday" about your actions...Be prepared to be thought of as the "bad guy" for defending yourself.

Get fit , both physically and mentally...also practice a "self assured" but not arrogant or challenging demeanor...If you look alert , aware and able ...you don't look so much like a target or "easy mark".
Andy

Don't get "locked into" a single plan or training method...the bad guy will not go by your training , planing or wants...so be flexible and adaptable.

Be willing to do what is necessary to survive the encounter...it might be as simple as just being aware of your surroundings , knowing when to" break contact" / disengage . etc...

Also know that if you have to resort to any form of defense , you will be questioned "seven ways to Sunday" about your actions...Be prepared to be thought of as the "bad guy" for defending yourself.

Get fit , both physically and mentally...also practice a "self assured" but not arrogant or challenging demeanor...If you look alert , aware and able ...you don't look so much like a target or "easy mark".
Andy
Well said Andy although i believe a good training method includes being flexible and adaptable

I did not mean to imply otherwise...sorry for my poor wording.
Here is a example of what I mean by 'flexible or adaptable':

The Army taught me how to "clear " a room...usually by tossing a grenade in the window or door first...If I have to clear a room in my house...I'm not going to do that....:D
But...some of the training techniques still work...
Walk near the wall , but not up against it...
Work my way from corner to corner...

Take what you learn , have been taught or experienced and adapt it , to you and your situation , is more of what I meant.
Andy

I did not mean to imply otherwise...sorry for my poor wording.
Here is a example of what I mean by 'flexible or adaptable':

The Army taught me how to "clear " a room...usually by tossing a grenade in the window or door first...If I have to clear a room in my house...I'm not going to do that....:D
But...some of the training methods still work...
Walk near the wall , but not up against it...
Work my way from corner to corner...

Take what you learn , have been taught or experienced and adapt it , to you and your situation , is more of what I meant.
Andy
You are spot on Andy, As we train we gather wisdom and experience through mistakes and circumstances and we adjust and adapt

Of course train to the highest standards and best possible methods. But train regardless and with what you have available.

Train and practice even if the method or technique isn't optimal; reacting with well rehearsed bad habits is far superior to not reacting at all.

Remember that one of the biggest advantages of training is inoculation from the unknown; i.e. getting used to being punched by learning boxing, hearing the snap of bullets pass overhead, etc.

Of course train to the highest standards and best possible methods. But train regardless and with what you have available.

Train and practice even if the method or technique isn't optimal; reacting with well rehearsed bad habits is far superior to not reacting at all.

Remember that one of the biggest advantages of training is inoculation from the unknown; i.e. getting used to being punched by learning boxing, hearing the snap of bullets pass overhead, etc.
Exactly! Good stuff Marine

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top