JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I'm not carrying my hogs leg Colt model 1909 Iv'e been carrying a DWM 1915 Luger in a reproduction Fallschirmjäger holster . Goes bang when I pull the trigger and does it in style.

web_3960-500x500.jpg

Last Edited:
Guess I'm lucky I'm rural and the way I dress allows me to conceal. After years of carrying a full size steel 1911, I went to my "small & light" Kimber Pro Carry. These days, it would probably be a good idea to have a backup that is a bit smaller and harder to find (I have carried a backup on occasion), but I find the 4" .45 to be as small as I want to go. And in these times, I tend to add a handful of extra magazines when I visit "civilization." Really, for most of us our clothing is the determining factor. But it's not that hard to carry a couple of pounds of gun.

I think most of us are looking at the news around the world and thinking of the possiblity of multiple terrorists in a mall or some such. Which CAN happen, though is still statistically unlikely. The "typical" personal defenseive scenario (if there is such a thing) very seldom involves reloading. But it can involve multiple assailants. And there are all types of attackers. Drugged or heavily ego-driven attackers may actually dare you to shoot or convince themselves that there is no way you'll fire (this is often true with female defenders against would-be rapists). Yes, the more rational attacker will run when bullets fly over his head. But to some, a warning shot is merely evidence that you are not serious.

Read some of the "Ayoob Files" about police fights with VERY bad guys. Some of those have involved lots of shots and multiple guns on both sides. But again, I'll agree the most likely defensive scenario will be over before your gun runs dry.

I've pointed a gun at men (all but 2x it was one man) 8x in my life. Fired over the heads of 2 and 4 at a time, (once each) They ran, as did all of the singel attackers. All this need" of lots of ammo is the bunk. Wjat is the enemy doing while you are doign all of that MISSISSING, yNG, hmm?
I think most of us are looking at the news around the world and thinking of the possiblity of multiple terrorists in a mall or some such. Which CAN happen, though is still statistically unlikely. The "typical" personal defenseive scenario (if there is such a thing) very seldom involves reloading. But it can involve multiple assailants. And there are all types of attackers. Drugged or heavily ego-driven attackers may actually dare you to shoot or convince themselves that there is no way you'll fire (this is often true with female defenders against would-be rapists). Yes, the more rational attacker will run when bullets fly over his head. But to some, a warning shot is merely evidence that you are not serious.

Read some of the "Ayoob Files" about police fights with VERY bad guys. Some of those have involved lots of shots and multiple guns on both sides. But again, I'll agree the most likely defensive scenario will be over before your gun runs dry.

Word is right. There is almost no circumstance where you are going to discharge more than 5 rounds at anyone unless you are a soldier in combat or are a police officer or are blind. Statistics would not be friendly to you concerning civilians and the need for more than a revolver full of ammunition.

We've been fed this load of crap that you dont point your gun at anything you arent ready and willing to destroy as soon as that person or thing is in your sights. As Word rightly pointed out the vast majority of the time just pointing your weapon at someones noggin is going to have them pissing their pants and running away. Been there a few times myself. You arent trying to apprehend someone. You are just trying to get away with your life and more than likely so is the other fella.

I will have to disagree that it is a "load of crap" that you don't point your gun at something you are not going to shoot.

I would hazard a guess that we all hope that if you pull a gun on someone that they will leave you alone ... But you can not count on that happening.

As for me if I draw my gun it is because I'm out of other options.
Again this how I feel ... and I'm not out to change anyone's mind.
But to say that someone's thinking is based on a load of crap is faulty.
It maybe in your experience a load of crap , but not mine.
Neither is right or wrong , but its just that we have different outlooks.
Andy

The bottom line is still Rule Two: Never point your gun at anything you are not willing to see destroyed.
When you pull the gun for real, you absolutely MUST have made your decision and be 100 percent willing to shoot. Lots of times, you will not actually have to shoot, they will run away. But badguys can smell fear. There are plenty of documented instances where the attackers simply said "you won't shoot, bubblegum," and continued until stopped by bullets. NEVER, EVER assume that simply pointing your gun or even firing a warning shot will make the attack stop (mostly, the warning shot will convince the perp that you are not serious AND get you charged with a serious crime). It might, but it might not. If you are not willing to use that deadly weapon when necessary, you should not carry it.

Ever had to pull a gun on anyone? I have a few times. People dont always run off but they do a lot. The last time it happened in Reading CA when a couple of muggers came up on me as I was getting out of my car I told the guys "Walk away or I will shoot you." as I pointed a 357 S&W at them. They walked/ran away. I got in my car and continued down the road. I pulled a gun out knowing I would shoot the guy if I had to but that was going to be the last resort. I also knew that if I didnt have my T's crossed and I's dotted that I was going to go the jail and trust me I didnt. I was carrying a gun in California. I would have gone to jail. The advice I have heard often in gun rags and on the internet is "Done pull a gun out unless you are going to use it" . That is stupid blanket advice that isnt necessary most of the time. Shoot if you need to shoot but I dont live in some quick draw world where you wait until the last second and gun down the person assaulting you. As weve seen in a bunch of recent police involved shooting people lose their minds in stressful situations and revert to training. If the training is is faulty people who dont need to die die. If I'm a cop no big deal. I wouldnt go to jail or get sued. I'm not a cop. I'm going to take the chance that the person who I needed to pull a gun on is going to take a hint and walk away because if he does it will make it a lot easier on me in the long run. If he doesnt take a hint I'll do what needs to be done. That hasnt happened yet.

Most of the time that happens, they leave. But if they don't, and they keep coming, you will either pull the trigger or die. It's good to know that ahead of time and have your decision made. Thankfully, the closest I've come is once in Seattle, sweeping my shirt tail back to reveal what was on my belt. My wife has used her .357 twice to run someone off when she lived in Everett. Looking at the wrong end of a .357 so close you can see the hollowpoints will usually have a sobering effect on a stalker or would-be boyfriend who refuses to take "no" for an answer. Or maybe it was the eyes of an ex-cop who HAD used that S&W to end the career of a child raping goblin who made the mistake of stabbing her in the back (that pisses her right off). Hopefully, we never meet the drugged up attacker who believes you will not shoot.

I feel that today's threats warrant carrying something larger and with higher capacity than a 6-round, 3" .380 ACP. At the same time, I carry in "sensitive" environments such as public schools so maximum concealment is also a top priority to avoid undesirable attention. Since I wanted one go-to defensive handgun to use for home defense and year-round IWB concealed carry regardless of whether I'm wearing a heavy jacket or T-shirt, and I happen to be someone who prefers Glock, I had to get creative in order to meet my requirements. Introducing the Glock "16" created by chopping the grip on a G19 to take G26 mags.

Since the rear bottom part of the grip is the hardest part to conceal, this has been the best compromise for me to meet my personal criteria in an all-purpose defensive handgun. It offers the concealability of the G26 with the performance and sight radius of the G19. I added the Pearce Grip extension for the sake of a full grip, and the +2 aspect of it also allows a full capacity of 13 rounds, only 3 less than a stock G19. Some may say the mod isn't worth the loss of 3 rounds or value to the pistol, but I needed it to work for me. I didn't buy it as an investment but as a tool. Of course it can still be used with flush 10 round mags or extended 15/17 round mags. I honestly feel like I get the best of two worlds with this modification.

Below is a pic comparing my pistol to a factory G19 owned by a guy i got to talking with at the range one day.

IMG_3460.JPG

Well, I had a wakeup call a couple of days ago. The only reason the two boys and I weren't in the middle of that Cascade Mall thing is that after buying our movie tickets for a 7:30 movie we decided not to eat at the Subway shop near Macy's (the boys like Subway, but did not bring coats; if they'd brought coats we might have gotten foot longs and brought them to the theater. We were at McDonald's a mile away when it happened. Got back to the theater and found cops everywhere. No movie. Glad my boys were not near this, though sad that the bastard killed four women on the spot and mortally wounded a man who died later, because nobody was nearby that could stop him.

We have over 500K CPLs in this State, They should all be carrying, ALL of the time. Like the motorcyclists say ATGATT.

Even our little "up north" version of civilization is getting crazy. Maybe just dropping a couple of extra magazines into my pockets is not enough. On the way home, the boy whose 17th birthday it was started asking about the cost of body armor. :) I explained that it varies and offered to let him try on an old Level II vest, Weird world.

In a Facebook discussion that started with BLM protestors blocking highways, I eventually wondered if I should start using our most survivable and Get-Out-OF-Dodge-capable rig for shopping, instead of the most fuel efficient. For sure, staying in Condition Yellow is just a good first step.

My wife leans toward a New York Reload. Maybe she has the right idea.

Guess I'm lucky I'm rural and the way I dress allows me to conceal. After years of carrying a full size steel 1911, I went to my "small & light" Kimber Pro Carry. These days, it would probably be a good idea to have a backup that is a bit smaller and harder to find (I have carried a backup on occasion), but I find the 4" .45 to be as small as I want to go. And in these times, I tend to add a handful of extra magazines when I visit "civilization." Really, for most of us our clothing is the determining factor. But it's not that hard to carry a couple of pounds of gun.

I hear you....I am considering new pistol or hunting this year... I like my Commander size .45 but I also like the idea of a dbl. stack .45 even better in this day and age.

Brutus Out

Now y'all got me thinking on a double stack 1911... Something I have kept convincing myself I didn't need, because a commander with a couple of reloads gives me 25 rounds...

I've always felt that was a good number, if I need more than that, then I had no right to put myself in that situation... But now that situation may come at me from out of nowhere.... Thanks guys!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top