Columbia River fishing

Mikej

Reactions
So here’s what I’ve learned from reading these posts.
Better have about $50,000 at least to fish that river.
Anchors are death traps
Run over to Costco and grab some salmon
I’d rather spend a day in Shawshank than a day in the Columbia.
Is it man against river, or is the fishing really that good?
Op. Jon boats don’t belong in the pacnw.
It's not that bad. Though a good portion of common sense is definitely needed if a person is going to be on that river much in a boat. If you're the type of person that's always tripping and falling, has auto accidents fairly often, sees nothing wrong with texting and driving, can't figure out how to mow your lawn or change a tire on your car, YOU should probably not be one to go exploring The Columbia in a boat.

Reactions
It's not that bad. Though a good portion of common sense is definitely needed if a person is going to be on that river much in a boat. If you're the type of person that's always tripping and falling, has auto accidents fairly often, sees nothing wrong with texting and driving, can't figure out how to mow your lawn or change a tire on your car, YOU should probably not be one to go exploring The Columbia in a boat.
So if you want to have a heck of a ride, grab and float tube and head to the Columbia at about 2pm?

Mikej

Reactions
I got a pedal-drive kayak and taken it out a few times just piddling around Scappoose bay. Haven’t been out on the big river yet. I’m thinking this weekend I’ll go on the Willamette and try and get me a sturgeon.
You need to get on ifish.net and look up a member that goes by rollcast. Just like that, no caps, no other punctuation. He's done a bunch of kayak sturgeon fishing on The Willamette. He's got a bunch of videos from his adventures.

Here's a little taste of the vids he puts up...

Last edited:

Dyjital

Reactions
I'd go on the columbia in my kayak. No going when windy, know the tide flow and more than likely I'd be above the first dam so tides aren't an issue. I don't care much for big water but I wouldn't have any issues staying near the edges.

I also play it very safe with everything I do.

bbbass

Reactions
So here’s what I’ve learned from reading these posts.
Better have about $50,000 at least to fish that river.
Anchors are death traps
Run over to Costco and grab some salmon
I’d rather spend a day in Shawshank than a day in the Columbia.
Is it man against river, or is the fishing really that good?
Op. Jon boats don’t belong in the pacnw.
$50k??? - A big boat is needed, but doesn't have to be an expensive aluminum Duckworth. The Original Peoples manage just fine with big ol beaters!!

Anchoring is always a risk in fast water, don't do it. But in other flows, an anchor release or at least a sharp knife or hatchet will get you out of trouble.

Will Costo put somebody holding a salmon on the end of your rod, to run back and forth, and strip off some line? If so, then that's a nice dry thrill compared to fishing.

Depending on where and when, yes, the fishing is, or used to be, that good.

Jon boats are fine on small lakes in the PNW, as long as the wind don't blow. I often think of my time on the Pasquotank River sloughs in NC fishing from a jonboat for bass, bream, stripers, and trying to keep the cottonmouths out of the boat. It was a wide river and miles of sloughs. When those afternoom thunderboomers would come in, we'd want to get off the river dang fast, but the associated winds would whip up a good chop and sometimes we'd just have to find a spot to beach it. Good times!!!

Last edited:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Best true Gun shop ive been in for some time
    Cool stuff in stock rather than the top 10 at corporate box stores They moved to a larger place I have to go back and spend more money. I like to...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Adaptive Firing Solutions. A+
    5 stars does not do Adaptive Firing Solutions justice. I have done business with him multiple times and wish I could give at least 12 stars...
  • Limitless America
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome shop
    Love this shop. Purchased a few items from them. Always have a lot of parts in stock without much markup. Purchased two cans this summer from them...
  • Gator's Custom Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great, old school gun shop
    The store is a treasure trove I have found magazines for H&K, Ruger and M1A's and at great prices. The staff is knowledgeable and friendly and...
    • GWS
  • HighLine Firearms
    4.00 star(s)
    great place
    nice guy, local
Top Bottom