Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Columbia county

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by Markie1620, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Markie1620

Markie1620 Oregon New Member

Brand new gun owner here and if I can ever find any ammo, I will be looking for a safe/legal place to shoot in Columbia county. Any help is appreciated.

nwwoodsman and (deleted member) like this.
  2. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

Where at in Columbia County? I'm in Vernonia and do a lot of shooting on state land behind Camp Wilkerson or out past Mist. I don't even try anywhere closer to St Helens or Scappoose. Too many knuckleheads running around the woods. I'm not a member but you can also try this place
    Rainier Rod and Gun Club

Or you can ask on the Columbia County Weapons facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/539278599434424/

3. Markie1620

Well I was hoping for someplace closer to St. Helens, but I'm not against taking a drive if it means less knuckleheads.

4. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Very few legal shooting spots near St.Helens. Ranier gun club is the best bet. State patrol and the timber patrol do roam the logging roads looking for all the slob shooters we seem to have,,,

5. Markie1620

Looks like Rainier gun club is the place to be and for only 25 bucks a year....count me in.

6. nwwoodsman

nwwoodsman Vernonia Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer

That is correct, especially lately. I stopped at an area that I was pretty sure was on BLM land but I was about a 1/4 mile off track. A guy from the a logging outfit stopped to have a chat with me and after a very friendly conversation he pointed me in the right direction. About a week ago I also ran into a OSP who was patrolling the area. He also had a decoy in the back of his truck.

7. SmawGunner

SmawGunner portland metro Active Member

I agree with avoiding any areas around Scappoose. I got ran off by a pissed off local who just happened to be driving by on the logging roads and he didn't even live in the area. He lived in Scappoose. Another time a OSP gave me a hard time. A third time, some firewood cutters told me get the hell out of there and they were just driving by. Forget that area.