JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It appears CHL processing is still happening in Columbia county but here is a scenario that could play out. The Sanctuary ordinance as I understand it prohibits the county from enforcing 2A infringements. Requiring a CHL would be an infringement. So if the Sheriff continues processing the CHLs an antigun proponent could sue to force the Sheriff to stop processing the CHLs because it violates the Ordinance. Am I misunderstanding what the Ordiance prohibits, is the county still allowed to regulate concealed carry even after the Ordinace takes effect?

It would only take a couple to ruin your life:)

And this would be the strategy of the OSP and ATF; make an example of citizens by hitting a number of gun owners. Over time, this would increase compliance as people see how they ruin those who do not comply. All it would take is a couple of special squads hitting some of those who have purchased quite a few firearms since the BGC law was enacted.

Start with maybe 4-5 simultaneous, then one or two successful raids a week would be adequate. Put out a $1K reward for info that results in an arrest/conviction. Make sure they hit the news - complete with photos of their "arsenal" and ammo. Of course, don't say anything about the ones where the raid is a bust and nothing is found.

And this would be the strategy of the OSP and ATF; make an example of citizens by hitting a number of gun owners. Over time, this would increase compliance as people see how they ruin those who do not comply. All it would take is a couple of special squads hitting some of those who have purchased quite a few firearms since the BGC law was enacted.

Start with maybe 4-5 simultaneous, then one or two successful raids a week would be adequate. Put out a $1K reward for info that results in an arrest/conviction. Make sure they hit the news - complete with photos of their "arsenal" and ammo. Of course, don't say anything about the ones where the raid is a bust and nothing is found.
Agreed and I don't think it would take that level of enforcement. They could catch people out in the woods with banned firearms, etc, or in traffic stops. I was shooting with a friend once out in coast range forest and had a State trooper visit us. He had indicated that some elk poaching had taken place in the area where we were shooting and he was just checking in with us. They are out there, even in the woods.

Top of the front page in The Oregonian today, complete with large color photo, and continued on to occupy another full page of text. The headline in the paper edition was: "State gun laws face pushback".

After reading this article, it sure looks like the people that come up with these measure aren't to bright. IF, what the article states further down is correct these laws aren't going anywhere. WTH? The gal from "Ceasefireoregon" doesn't even care for hell's sake!
:s0054:

After reading this article, it sure looks like the people that come up with these measure aren't to bright. IF, what the article states further down is correct these laws aren't going anywhere. WTH? The gal from "Ceasefireoregon" doesn't even care for hell's sake!
:s0054:
I am skeptical of the accuracy of some of The Oregonian's reporting. One key fact they got wrong is that the Columbia County measure is an ordinance not a resolution. In most jurisdictions, this difference is meaningful because ordinances are binding, enforceable laws whereas resolutions are statements of sentiment or intent. From the county voter's pamphlet:
COLUMBIA COUNTY GUN SANCTUARY ORDINANCE LIMITING FIREARM REGULATION
QUESTION: Should Columbia County officials be prevented from enforcing most state, federal, and local firearm regulations?
SUMMARY: This ordinance would prevent Columbia County and its employees from devoting resources or participating in any way in the enforcement of any law or regulation that affected an individual's right to keep and bear arms, firearm accessories, or ammunition. Although this ordinance would generally prohibit county officials from following firearms regulations, exceptions would be allowed in certain limited situations. County officials could still comply with firearms laws that relate to convicted felons, could still participate in the enforcement of firearm crimes, and could still take any actions necessary to comply with court orders. Violators of this ordinance would be subject to civil penalties such as fines up to $2000 dollars for individuals and $4000 dollars for a corporation.
I wish I could find the text of the actual ordinance but from what I can tell from the voter's pamphlet it appears to be carefully written by someone who knows what they're doing. The county can't stop state and federal LEO from enforcing certain gun laws but they may be able to stop people on the county payroll from doing so. Whether county officials will even try to stop them is another matter.

It would be great if Columbia County could repeat a version of Sheriff Printz's victory. Alas, in most states, counties are very much more limited in their ability in such matters as compared to the states vs. feds.

P.S. you can read the Umatilla ordinance here. Not sure if it's same text as adopted by Umatilla County voters this month but it's probably pretty close. Here are some interesting Columbia County election results:

POTUS
1. Trump - 17,150
2. Biden - 13,835

Second Amendment Sanctuary Ord. (SASO; Measure 5-278)
1. Yes - 15,641
2. No - 15,116

So, Trump got 1,509 more votes than the SASO did.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads