JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I had to go to the courthouse for some business this morning and on the way in I noticed a big white and red sign that stated no weapons of any sort and showed pictures of a handgun, a knife and some other misc things, the sign also stated even with a valid chl. as I was looking at the sign a local deputy came out that was charged with security for the courthouse so I questioned him about it, he said that's the law, I asked if there were any federal offices in the building and he stated no, so I questioned even further and all he would say is anyone, state, county and local city can legally refuse entry with a chl. its the law.:huh:

Courthouses are gun free. That's well documented in the law.

166.370 Possession of firearm or dangerous weapon in public building or court facility; exceptions; discharging firearm at school. (1) Any person who intentionally possesses a loaded or unloaded firearm or any other instrument used as a dangerous weapon, while in or on a public building, shall upon conviction be guilty of a Class C felony.
(2)(a) Except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a person who intentionally possesses:
(A) A firearm in a court facility is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony. A person who intentionally possesses a firearm in a court facility shall surrender the firearm to a law enforcement officer.
(B) A weapon, other than a firearm, in a court facility may be required to surrender the weapon to a law enforcement officer or to immediately remove it from the court facility. A person who fails to comply with this subparagraph is guilty, upon conviction, of a Class C felony.
(b) The presiding judge of a judicial district may enter an order permitting the possession of specified weapons in a court facility.

The deputy's comments about "anyone" refusing entry, even with a CHL is bogus.

Pchewn that's what ive read and do understand, what I don't is a county courthouse has many different offices not just courtrooms ! while I may be completely wrong my understanding was, any building other than federal was ok, excluding courtrooms. Heck there's a museum at the local courthouse. and by the deputy's interpretation even there is off limits.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top