Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Columbia county courthouse weapons ban

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by SturgeonSlayer, Jan 23, 2013.

1. SturgeonSlayer

SturgeonSlayer St.Helens Active Member

So I had to go to the courthouse for some business this morning and on the way in I noticed a big white and red sign that stated no weapons of any sort and showed pictures of a handgun, a knife and some other misc things, the sign also stated even with a valid chl. as I was looking at the sign a local deputy came out that was charged with security for the courthouse so I questioned him about it, he said that's the law, I asked if there were any federal offices in the building and he stated no, so I questioned even further and all he would say is anyone, state, county and local city can legally refuse entry with a chl. its the law.:huh:

2. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

pretty standard for most courthouses

3. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

Courthouses are gun free. That's well documented in the law.

The deputy's comments about "anyone" refusing entry, even with a CHL is bogus.

Redcap and (deleted member) like this.
  4. osterr1999

osterr1999 Silverton, OR Active Member

pchewn is correct. Courthouses are a no go, but your city hall can't stop you from entering if you are carrying and have a CHL.

5. SturgeonSlayer

SturgeonSlayer St.Helens Active Member

Pchewn that's what ive read and do understand, what I don't is a county courthouse has many different offices not just courtrooms ! while I may be completely wrong my understanding was, any building other than federal was ok, excluding courtrooms. Heck there's a museum at the local courthouse. and by the deputy's interpretation even there is off limits.

6. Uberdillo

Uberdillo Oregon Active Member