JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They python is coming back in 2020 ! Great guns, but python and Diamond backs are a little to precise, for a one gun everyday thing, All that precision, comes at the price of ruggedness and ultra dependability , If I had a python, I would carry it with confidence, But if I was shooting 100 top end rounds per week I would keep extra mainsprings on hand. These guns have a mainspring that bends to a point in the back corner of the grip frame. It,s a week point. I had both Diamond backs and Pythons , and more than one of each, over time i learned to feel when the spring was ready to go. ...tj

What is a Colt BOA?

Yeah - never heard of the Boa or Viper.

I had a friend who had a Python and a Diamondback in .22

I didn't care for them - the stock wood grips didn't feel right, pretty guns, but not my style.

I had had a number of Colt revolvers over the years. My first was a Colt Cobra snub nose .38 Spec. Basically identical to my buddy's Detective Special, except it had an aluminum alloy frame. Lighter to carry, but not recommended for +P ammo. I traded it off since I loaded some fairly stout .38 Specials at the time.
I looked for a new 6" Colt Diamondback for years and finally located one at the White Elephant in Spokane for $279.00. The only downside was it came from the factory with logo less Pachmayr Presentation rubber grips. I still have it but rarely shoot it. My last shot with it was probably 5 years ago, a successful head shot on a tiny ground squirrel peeking out of its hole in a vineyard from 10 yards away.
I had a 6" Colt Python that I bought used in Aberdeen, Wa for $400 back in 1982 or so. It was beautiful, but I decided it was too nice to use, and I couldn't afford safe queens back then. So it was sold and I replaced it with one of the first S&W 586 models.
I later picked up a new 4" Diamondback .22 in Kennewick and kept the pretty factory grips for my 6". I stupidly traded it off because my wife didn't really want to shoot it. Same thing with the used mint 4" Diamondback .38 Spec. I had acquired.
I also at one time had a Trooper Mk III in .22 lr with factory electroless nickel finish and the 6" barrel. It was a poor substitute for the 6" Diamondback I was lusting for, so it got traded off.
I may take a hard look at the new Python, if it actually appears in stores. $1,499.00 is more than I have ever paid for any firearm (almost more than any two!), but I do like stainless.357 revolvers, and it would go nicely with my 6" GP-100. I probably will get one, and if my wife complains, I will just remind her of the West Bend pots and pans set set she bought at the count fair twenty years ago for $1,300.00. (Without asking me if it was okay!)
Hopefully "Tax me outside" Jay Inslee and Sideshow Bob Ferguson won't go after high capacity semi auto revolvers next.

There is some talk/speculation/rumour that sometime after the factory catches up with all the King Cobra & Python orders that Colt might re-introduce their large frame revolver.

Anaconda production numbers were the smallest before Colt stopped making them. Should Colt bring their Anaconda revolver back, I might be interested in a 5" version, in stainless steel, in 45 Colt or 41 magnum.

A long time friend has a 6" Python. Side by side we shoot it and my 686 6 inch. Both of us shoot the 686 better?:oops:
For me the 686 fits my hand better and the sights line up better. The Python is a beautiful hand crafted revolver.
But from a shooters standpoint I prefer the 686.

I recently traded into a nice 6" Python for a mutt M1 that I had less than $700 into. I actually haven't shot it yet, and have it stashed right now.

IMG_20181126_195857938.jpg

I've owned a couple of Colt revolvers, but no snakes. The Trooper III and the Police Positive Special I used to own had very smooth triggers. I've dry fired a couple of Pythons and they were even better.
I would take a 4" blued Python, please. I've had the opportunity in the past to make a reasonable purchase on a couple, but my situation is like @osprey and I end up with a S&W or Ruger. I appreciate a gun I can use much more than one I like to look at. (and I like to look at guns) I remember seeing new Anacondas in the gun cases and thinking, "Wow, that's a big gun!" Didn't think to buy one for an investment...:confused:
Given the human labor involved in puttin the original Snakes together, and how purdy they are I don't think they're overpriced, but they may be a tad overrated.
If I was really charmed by the snake and wanted one, I'd be going after the 4.25" new version. More likely I'd buy a 686+, if nothing else, I like the round butt better.

We've all got tales of the Colts in our personal litany of what got away or was too expensive in the first place. I was a Colt revolver guy starting in the early 80s, perhaps influenced by buddies pretending their S&W autos were the last word in range happiness. In fact, I could never stand the feel of the actions of the S&W autos for the next 30 years. I came to appreciate Smith DA revolvers only in the last 20 years, and have yet to find one I don't like, discounting various M37 clones.

Having run thru an extensive list of Colt DA revolvers I did manage to let pass along, the Anaconda was never one of my favorites. Nor were any of the Trooper models in any caliber. Good, yes, occasionally exceptional, yet never quite right to keep. Yes, that Trooper III in 22 I should have kept. Dummy!

Various Cobras/Agents have passed thru my fingers & left for others more interested. The very best out-of-the-box-new SA trigger I've ever owned on any DA revolver was a very early 6" 22 Diamondback, which in a fit of blind stupidity, traded off. Don't Let This Happen To You Too.

I'm looking forward to whatever new version of Python Colt does release. It would be a welcome companion to my early 80s 4" keeper.

The only one I have any interest in is the Anaconda in .44 Magnum. If they ever made them again, or I could find a used one at a sane price, I'd go for it.

I have one which I have shot quite a bit.
It is magna-ported and shoots real comfortably. Fun to shoot at dusk. It's a real flamethrower.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top