JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Called my friend the other day, and we agreed on a price. So it's mine as soon as the snowplow goes past his place high up in the coasties. Always drives me crazy waiting. It's the 6" barreled target model with adjustable sights. And there's only one magazine.

So I was searching around online and learned that extra mags aren't very common for this gun, at least ones that fit and work. Read more than a few accounts of people buying them mail order only to find they needed significant mods or just weren't the right ones at all.

Anyone near Portland know where I can buy a few locally after I stick them in the gun to see if they really fit and feed?

Thanks in advance for direct emails, and I'll check back here, too.
[email protected]

I have the same problem with a 1960's era Browning Challenger target pistol. They are similar weapons designed by the same guy, but with so many follow-on models (I, II, III, Mark Whatevers) that trying to keep up with magazine compatibility is difficult. I'd certainly be interested in magazine sources also. All I have found are cheap plastic mags that don't fit properly etc. I guess out of production models can be a problem that way.

Contact the WAC.One of their members had the largest collection of woodsmans in the world.
Can't remember his name but they will.
He has displayed it at NRA shows too.

Saw him one day walking his dogs and he said "Sold my collection" "What for?"

"2 millions dollars" Seemed like a good reason to me.
Oh he had over 2500. But he still sells parts,so he'll know the best place to look.

Contact the WAC.One of their members had the largest collection of woodsmans in the world.
Can't remember his name but they will.
He has displayed it at NRA shows too.

Saw him one day walking his dogs and he said "Sold my collection" "What for?"

"2 millions dollars" Seemed like a good reason to me.
Oh he had over 2500. But he still sells parts,so he'll know the best place to look.

This guy is Bob Rayburn. His collection is mostly gone, but he still has some parts available, including second Series magazines that are Colt factory and not aftermarket. I don't think you will have problem with magazines from him.

<broken link removed>

Awesome!

I saw some horror stories posted over at rimfirecentral about mags that needed grooves cut into them, lips bent, etc. Hoping to avoid all that if I can, and just buy parts that work.

Snow stopped in the hills a couple days ago, so I think I'm picking up the pistol tonight!

Thanks for the tip.

Go to one of the Oregon Arms Collectors "meetings", usually the last Sunday of the month. (you can look them up online) Ask the guy at the door where Lowell Pauli is. He is a MAJOR Colt Semi-Auto collector. The last few times I've been there he has a couple of sets of "Elephant Ear" grips for the early Match Targets. I'd be surprised if he couldn't hook you up.

coltparts.com has everything you need for colts. dont go anywhere else till you have called them. they are local and have most parts for colts from any era. 360-737-2658

Problem solved. Thanks to everyone who weighed in. Long story short, Metalform used to make Woodsman mags, actually for Colt, and for whatever reason they no longer do. A buddy of mine thought the cheaperthandirt.com Woodsman mag (same part for for both Series 2 & 3 guns) looked like Metalforms so I ordered some, and they are.

Not exact replicas, they're close enough to function in the gun despite some noticeable differences. Original factory clip is on the left in pics 1 & 2 below, and on top in #3.

In #1 I highlighed that little slit needed for the Series 2 mag release (like on a 1911).

In #2 you can see some tips sticking up on the Metalform unit that try to hang onto the first round when I release the slide, but they're already "getting past that" with a few cycles. I might just grind them off.

In #3 you can see Metalform's similar but different logo on the bottom.

Anyway, for $15 apiece, I thought I made out pretty good compared to some of those "collector" prices for used parts I was seeing online. Thanks again for the tips!
Mags01.jpg
Mags02.jpg
Mags03.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads