JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Uncovered another gun that belonged to my grandfather.

So what I know, is that it's a Colt Single Action, New Frontier, 44 special. It appears to be new or at least in pristine condition, no evidence of any wear marks in finish. There is no box for the gun.

From the serial number (52XXNF), I've figured out that it was manufactured in 1965.

Looking to the experts to tell me much more including how collectable it might be, market value and demand.

Also some curiosity as to if you would ever shoot this gun or just hold onto it as a show piece. From my perspective it would be a shame to shoot something that's maintained it's pristine condition for over 50 years.

thumbnail-35.jpeg thumbnail-36.jpeg

Your gun, your call. As an old cowboy match participant, the adj sight while otherwise desirable, was less dear as being less period than the fixed version. The caliber is highly useful whatever you do. Personally I believe this style grows more beautiful with careful use, as memories of grandpa would ride with me with every use. Your own grandson could even learn to shoot with it. ;)

I've never been able to bring myself to shoot pristine guns and always end up selling or trading them away for a shooter. I dunno' why.

In this case, I would most definitely make an exception to that.
Every time I carried it, I'd think of my grandfather and when I shot it, I'd think of my grandfather.

I lost my grandparents when I was really young, so maybe that affects my thinking on this, but I think it's worth shooting the new out of it to enjoy the family connection.

And it's a Colt, one of the finest single actions made. There's something special about hearing four clicks on cocking. Maybe it's the sound of history or tradition.

I'd shoot it and care for it and treat it as a family heirloom to be used and passed down through the family.

YMMV

Thank you both for your response. I received some great suggestions but I'm not a firearms aficionado so it's highly unlikely that I'd ever shoot the gun. We already have so many family heirlooms that it's doubtful that this will get passed down. I think that as I understand more about this gun, it's value and it's demand, in addition to understanding the current market, the gun will likely find it's way to someone else who can appreciate it more than I can as a result of some future offering.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top