JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is an old saying that goes...
Never screw up so bad that they name the screw up after you!
Several guns have gotten that title!
Screw up's like Garand Thumb, Glock Leg, and the SAA's Cowboy leg.
All are well deserved but the SAA's Cowboy Leg came from enough Cowboys hanging the stirrup over the saddle horn and while tying up the cinch having the wooden stirrup come off the horn , strike the hammer of a SAA and send a round into the cowboys leg.
The safety fix for that time was to carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber.
Unless you have a new style gun with a hammer block,or transfer bar safety, don't carry your SAA or its copy's with the hammer resting on a live round. Or you too may get a new nickname! DR

Let's say you load six chambers in a Colt SAA, then decock, leaving the firing pin resting on a primer.

Then, you pull the hammer back, but not far enough to get to the half cock. The cylinder should not rotate. If you release the hammer with the thumb, the hammer should drop the firing pin onto the primer, but the distance is short enough that it will not set off the primer.

What would happen if you performed the above action repeatedly? Would the primer accumulate a large dimple. Would the dimple get large enough to set off the primer?

I'm thinking of how repeated rechambering the same round an AR15 can eventually lead to a round firing from the floating firing pin dimple.
It's moot since a live round shouldn't be under a resting hammer on single action revolvers without modern safety features.

I'm thinking of how repeated rechambering the same round an AR15 can eventually lead to a round firing from the floating firing pin dimple.
Can it? I looked all over the web and only found stories were it "happened to a guy I know" or some rando at the range maybe 'my sarge told me . . ." but no actual evidence of firing from repeated rechambering. I did find these two fairly well documented problems

Let's say you load six chambers in a Colt SAA, then decock, leaving the firing pin resting on a primer.

Then, you pull the hammer back, but not far enough to get to the half cock. The cylinder should not rotate. If you release the hammer with the thumb, the hammer should drop the firing pin onto the primer, but the distance is short enough that it will not set off the primer.

What would happen if you performed the above action repeatedly? Would the primer accumulate a large dimple. Would the dimple get large enough to set off the primer?

The old disappearing whiner trick.

How am I supposed to feel sorry for you if I can't see your insightful posts?

on colts and copies there is a safety notch that holds the hammer just a tad off of the frame, and if u let the hammer fall but do NOT have the trigger pulled the primer should not go off unless maybe the tip of the trigger snaps,it''s fairly fragile.

It's my favorite game. Guess what garbage they are posting based on the reactions. They only have like the same points, over and over. Just check the party platform. Simple, really.

The only reason you got to see that post after he ignored you is cuz it was the lead-off post in the thread. Consider yourself lucky! :s0115:

Oh , I read this whole vapid thread when it launched.
I just don't understand why he keeps pretending to own guns.

Pictures or it didn't happen.
Probably because they need someone to disagree with them. Being surrounded by like minded robots can be so tiring. Those types wouldn't actually help a fella out when needed, anyway.

note the safety overhang on the first two notches, this is how we know that a.b. pulled the trigger or held it down(@RX-79G
1660877450251.jpeg

the safety notch holds the hammer about 1/8 inch off the frame. good luck getting it to go off without a claw hammer. does this hypothetical include holding the trigger down?
i'm saying not likely

Last Edited:
the safety notch holds the hammer about 1/8 inch off the frame. good luck getting it to go off without a hammer. does this hypothetical include holding the trigger down?
No. But you understand that it would not be a single strike, right?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top